My next rifle, 35 Whelen?

Funny seeing this old thread tonight and a post made almost 4 years ago… when we are flying out in less than 48 hours with the 35 Whelen I talked about building in this thread, to hunt the eland also mentioned in this thread
@mdwest
Did you ever do a hunt report about your trip? I would love to read it.
Bob.

Funny seeing this old thread tonight and a post made almost 4 years ago… when we are flying out in less than 48 hours with the 35 Whelen I talked about building in this thread, to hunt the eland also mentioned in this thread
Be a gentleman and offer to carry that 10 lb rifle for her. Don’t be surprised if she won’t let you! Good luck on you hunt. I got a feeling she will be well pleased with the Whelen’s performance on everything she shoots. It is a great caliber with much longer legs than given credit for.

Would love to read about your hunt!

@mdwest
Everyone keeps say the Whelen drops like a rock past 200 yards why I don't know. Maybe it's because gunwriters over the years have been telling people it's a grand BRUSH CARTRIDGE for bigger game with 250gr bullets. Maybe If'n they got out from behind their type writers and used it they would think differently.
A 225gn accubond started at 2,800fps and sighted 2.5 inches high at 100 yards only drops 21 inches at 400 yards and still has 2,000fpe of energy at that range.
A 250gr speer hotcore sighted the same drops 25 inches at the same distance.
Flater shooting than both the 308 and the 6.5 manbun.
Hitting a 6inch gong at 300 yards with the Whelen is doable and consistent with practice.
Bob
Don't forget Bob that most will not be able to get those velocities due to not using/able to get the CFE223 powder. Whole different ball game with trajectory. Even with what most get out of the Whelen it is at least a 300mt cartridge with a 250 grain pill. Maybe only a 200 yard job with a 310 grain pill.

Bob,
When I lived in Californicate, there are eucalyptus trees growing by the thousands along the railroad tracks. The story I got was that they were used for wood fuel in the old steam locomotives of the bygone era. They smell great too when using the wood in a fireplace or campfire. Just a little useless trivia.
CEH

Imported from Australia many years ago now. Eucalyps should all have a Danger Highly Inflammable sign on them. I have seen them in Zimbabwe, Namibia (individuals and Plantations). River Red Gums were planted in the Euphrates and Tigris swamps near there mouths. This was to help reduce the water levels and help reduce Malaria Mozzie breeding grounds.

Don't forget Bob that most will not be able to get those velocities due to not using/able to get the CFE223 powder. Whole different ball game with trajectory. Even with what most get out of the Whelen it is at least a 300mt cartridge with a 250 grain pill. Maybe only a 200 yard job with a 310 grain pill.

The 35 Whelen isn’t a long range shooter, but the trajectory of said rounds is more close or slightly better than a .308 Winchester. True, it’s not a 1000 yd target round, but it isn’t a slouch in normal hunting situations.
If it had a rainbow trajectory like a .30-30, then I would be worried.

Hawk

@Rule 303
People were getting 2800 with a 225gn using 4064 and varget/2208 years ago and 2,600fps with the 250gr.
Personally I wouldn't use the 310 grainer much past 100 yards due to the expansion velocity parameters but that's me.
Bob

Bo
@Rule 303
People were getting 2800 with a 225gn using 4064 and varget/2208 years ago and 2,600fps with the 250gr.
Personally I wouldn't use the 310 grainer much past 100 yards due to the expansion velocity parameters but that's me.
Bob
Bob, I have no idea what gunga weed you are smoking but I want half a key of it. :) Getting 2800fps with a 225grain projectile in a 35 Whelen using 2208. Maybe with a an action that has just stuffed itself and smoke pouring out of every new and old crack. 2600fps with 2208 yes, 2660 is the best I am aware of.

I know if you trusted Win 748 and RE 15 you could push 2700fps, but they were max loads and I don't trust those powders at max load in 40C+ heat.

I use to consistently hit the 500mt gongs with 225 grain pills in my first Whelen years ago using AR2208. Not a big ask when you knew the hold over.

When deer hunting I use 200 grain bullets at a stately 2700 FPS as I hunt for meat. For bear and hogs I use 250 grain round nose bullets at 2500. Penetration is most important to me as I want short copious blood trails on both these critters. Most of the terrain I hunt shots come close and fast.

Bo

Bob, I have no idea what gunga weed you are smoking but I want half a key of it. :) Getting 2800fps with a 225grain projectile in a 35 Whelen using 2208. Maybe with a an action that has just stuffed itself and smoke pouring out of every new and old crack. 2600fps with 2208 yes, 2660 is the best I am aware of.

I know if you trusted Win 748 and RE 15 you could push 2700fps, but they were max loads and I don't trust those powders at max load in 40C+ heat.

I use to consistently hit the 500mt gongs with 225 grain pills in my first Whelen years ago using AR2208. Not a big ask when you knew the hold over.
@Rule 303
Mate I get 2750 plus a bit with nosler accubonds using half a grain more ( which is neither her nor there) using noslers load of 61 grains of 2208/ Varget. Noslers load is 60.5 grains.
I have tried this load in minus one up to 42 degrees without issues.
Bob

@Rule 303
Mate I get 2750 plus a bit with nosler accubonds using half a grain more ( which is neither her nor there) using noslers load of 61 grains of 2208/ Varget. Noslers load is 60.5 grains.
I have tried this load in minus one up to 42 degrees without issues.
Bob

Bob in the two Whelen's I have had/have I get better velocity with 2206H and better again with BM8208 than 2208 and shoving 60 grains of 2208 and a 225 grain pill would have left them smoking and bolt bloody hard to lift. 58 grains was as high as I went and the primers were flat as and pockets a little loose and no where near 2700. One was a factory Rem 700 the other is a Rem 700 with a Walther barrel.

I get 2620fps with BM8208 and 225 grain pills. I have not finnished experimenting with BM8208. I have to try going up another 2 or 3 grains in 1 grain increments. Recome I might come close to 2700fps. I don't have a problem with the AR powders and temperature I do with Winchester and other powders.

Bob in the two Whelen's I have had/have I get better velocity with 2206H and better again with BM8208 than 2208 and shoving 60 grains of 2208 and a 225 grain pill would have left them smoking and bolt bloody hard to lift. 58 grains was as high as I went and the primers were flat as and pockets a little loose and no where near 2700. One was a factory Rem 700 the other is a Rem 700 with a Walther barrel.

I get 2620fps with BM8208 and 225 grain pills. I have not finnished experimenting with BM8208. I have to try going up another 2 or 3 grains in 1 grain increments. Recome I might come close to 2700fps. I don't have a problem with the AR powders and temperature I do with Winchester and other powders.
@Rule 303
I used the nosler recommendation of 60.5 grains of Varget/2208 behind the 225gn accubond and said 61 is just as easy to remember. I have easy bolt lift and primers ar nice and rounded with good case life. Each rifle is different tho.
Bob

@Rule 303
I used the nosler recommendation of 60.5 grains of Varget/2208 behind the 225gn accubond and said 61 is just as easy to remember. I have easy bolt lift and primers ar nice and rounded with good case life. Each rifle is different tho.
Bob
Bob your answers had me wondering so I went digging. Found my old notes in the old Barnes No3 Manual. I had those problems when using the Barnes bullets without the grove so never pushed other bullets passed the 56grain of AR2208.

Gave 2208 away and went with AR2206 then 2206H and now BM8208. Have not done full testing with this on the Whelen yet as I got hooked the 35Samba (358WSM) and now the 358/338 RUM. Have to go back and keep working on it.

But a 250 grainer at 2800 fps with AR powders is just not doable.

Bob your answers had me wondering so I went digging. Found my old notes in the old Barnes No3 Manual. I had those problems when using the Barnes bullets without the grove so never pushed other bullets passed the 56grain of AR2208.

Gave 2208 away and went with AR2206 then 2206H and now BM8208. Have not done full testing with this on the Whelen yet as I got hooked the 35Samba (358WSM) and now the 358/338 RUM. Have to go back and keep working on it.

But a 250 grainer at 2800 fps with AR powders is just not doable.
@Rule 303
You can get 2,700fps with the 250s and some hogdon powders.
Bob

@mdwest
Everyone keeps say the Whelen drops like a rock past 200 yards why I don't know. Maybe it's because gunwriters over the years have been telling people it's a grand BRUSH CARTRIDGE for bigger game with 250gr bullets. Maybe If'n they got out from behind their type writers and used it they would think differently.
A 225gn accubond started at 2,800fps and sighted 2.5 inches high at 100 yards only drops 21 inches at 400 yards and still has 2,000fpe of energy at that range.
A 250gr speer hotcore sighted the same drops 25 inches at the same distance.
Flater shooting than both the 308 and the 6.5 manbun.
Hitting a 6inch gong at 300 yards with the Whelen is doable and consistent with practice.
Bob
Bob,I would hate to be that gong being smacked with a Whelen.
You might get slapped with a Man bun if you keep talking like that. Don't you know they have better long range ballistics than a .300wm?
Maybe for drop and drift but they seem to forget energy counts for hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you