My next rifle, 35 Whelen?

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by NickyMaz, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Dr Ray

Dr Ray AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Stretching it a bit lol

2. Cousin Bongo

Cousin Bongo AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA - Benefactor
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zambia, Colombia, Guatemala, Mexico, New Zealand, Australia, Paupa New Guinea, Philippines, USA (various including Alaska)
    You came to a solid conclusion as far as I’m concerned. When I lived in Alaska, I initially used a 338 Win Mag and it was okay, but not really all that much better than my trusty 30-06. Later, I got the hankering for a 35 Whelen and built one. Once I had the 35 Whelen, the 338 Win Mag was regulated to gathering dust. Not that the Whelen was superior - what one will do, so will the other - but because the rifle was lighter and more “friendly”, etc. (However, for serious excursions away from home base, I took my 30-06 because I knew I could always get ammo for it, something that can’t be guaranteed with the other two.) I used the 35 Whelen - which is, for all practical purposes, the ballistic twin of the great 9.3x62 - for several years with complete satisfaction easily taking game out to a bit past 300 yards which is the farthest I will shoot on unwounded game. Then one day I was talking to Don Johnson out at Bear Lake Lodge on the peninsula, and he recommended the 375 H&H, especially if I ever intended hunting Africa. Well, I built up a custom 375 H&H on a Mauser 98 action and I’ve never looked back. I still have and use my 30-06 and my 375 H&H and I wouldn’t be without them! (I also have a custom .458 Win Mag to supplement these two for certain things.)

CB

3. 5shot

5shot AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    The 310 is limited to 2200 fps...but should still be a crusher at that velocity.

Bob Nelson 35Whelen and Rule 303 like this.

4. Timbo

Timbo AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BGRC PFRC & SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia (WA & NT), Zimbabwe, Zambia, South Africa
    Keep the. 30/06 and tame it down with recoil dampeners, heavier barrel etc, as guys here suggest. I've got both an FN 9.3x62 and a Ruger M77 (tang safety) in .30/06. Over the last 35yrs I've taken just about everything with the '06, including kudu and wildebeeste. Indeed my daughter rolled her water buffalo with it using Woodleigh 180gr PSPs. We're taking it to SA next july for PG, including gemsbok. All it comes down to is reloading it sensibly, with proper bullet selection for your intended need. I swear by Woodleigh 180gr PSP projectiles - they've proven deadly time and again!!

Bob Nelson 35Whelen likes this.

5. Milan

Milan AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Alberta, RSA
    I would recommend a CZ550 FS in 9.3x62. Kicks no more than a 30-06 and is quieter than most rifles even with the 20" barrel. Really pleasant to shoot. It should do everything the Whelen will do and a little bit more perhaps.

6. TOBY458

TOBY458 AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Put a limbsaver recoil pad on the 30/06. I had a Tikka in 308 that was tamed nicely with the softer pad.

7. BC.Pat

BC.Pat AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Botswana , Namibia, Sierra Leone
    Something you might consider is world wide availability of ammunition if you intend to travel with your rifle. Im not sure about the whelen, but 9.3x62 is widely available in most parts. Even in up north.
    But as others have said you can't really go wrong with either.
    Have fun sorting it out. :)

Bob Nelson 35Whelen and Timbo like this.

8. Alchemist

Alchemist AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NSA , SA Wingshooters
    My 2 cents worth.
    Fit a Limbsaver recoil pad. It helps absorbing the recoil. I have one fitted on all my Tikka rifles. Get your self a .22LR rifle. When at the range, shoot 1 round with the ‘06 and 5 to 10with the .22 LR, making sure you concentrate on the target, see the impact and follow through. You will soon start doing it with the ‘06 and not worry about recoil anymore.
    The Tikka is a nice light rifle. You can carry it all day long.

Bob Nelson 35Whelen and Rob404 like this.

9. Rob404

Rob404 AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Member Minnesota Horse and Hunt,,Caribou Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Illinois,Wisconsin,Michigan Limpopo Province South Africa
    I have a limbsaver on all of my rifles partly for recoil mostly for length of pull. I agree with Alchmist, I developed a bad case of the yips a few years back and had a constant flinch. I put away all my medium and heavy caliber rifles and shot my 22lr, 6mm Rem and my 223 varmint until I cured myself.
    When I go to the range nowdays I always pack my 22 or my 6mm and use them to kind of warm up the move into the medium and heavy Caliber rifles.

10. Bob Nelson 35Whelen

Bob Nelson 35Whelen AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia, Africa
    NickyMaz
    If you find the recoil of the ought six to much the Whelen may well be as well.
    I mainly 225 grain accubonds in mine at 2,800 fps and it killed everything I hunted in Namibia.
    Not being mean mate but I would stick with the 06 it will do what you need.
    I do love my Whelen and wouldn't be without it. The recoil is a bit more than the 06 but with a muzzle brake it's more like a 7mm 08.
    Cheers mate
    Bob Nelson

Von S. likes this.

11. Bob Nelson 35Whelen

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia, Africa
    JakeH
    If you like the Savage check out my Savage Whelen with Zeiss 3-9X40. 20200201_135545.jpg
    Accurate hard hitting and flat shooting 225grain accubonds 2,850fps chronoed
    Cheers mate Bob

bruce moulds likes this.

12. Bob Nelson 35Whelen

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia, Africa
    Sgt Zim
    I went the Savage. A lot cheaper than the Tikka and even with another barrel on the Savage he will still have enough for a reasonable scope and a box of ammo compared to the Nosler.
    Cheers mate Bob

Rule 303, Von S. and bruce moulds like this.

13. MS 9x56

MS 9x56 AH Veteran

Too many shooters put too much emphasis on ballistic tables. Ballistic tables do not take game. A shooter who knows his rifle putting a bullet in the right place is the only thing that matters. The only way to become that shooter is by taking the rifle and selected load to the range and practicing until you know where to hold at what range. No ballistic table will do that for you. As the old saying goes, practice makes perfect. Damn the ballistic tables full speed ahead.