My new Rand's hat is on the way...

Tilley's Rock! I just replaced the one I wore for the last 30+ years :)
They are quite functional but Tilley hats I equate with bingo halls and retirement homes. Yes, I am now officially old but that is one stereotype I prefer to avoid. Same thing with boonie hats. They work well enough but too many survivalist whackos wear them as a badge of honor. A couple years back I was Christmas shopping one cold evening while wearing my 4-in-1 Mossy Oak waterfowl jacket. A little girl walked up to me and asked "What Duck Commander are you?" I turned to my daughter and said I need to either shave or get another coat.

They are quite functional but Tilley hats I equate with bingo halls and retirement homes. Yes, I am now officially old but that is one stereotype I prefer to avoid. Same thing with boonie hats. They work well enough but too many survivalist whackos wear them as a badge of honor. A couple years back I was Christmas shopping one cold evening while wearing my 4-in-1 Mossy Oak waterfowl jacket. A little girl walked up to me and asked "What Duck Commander are you?" I turned to my daughter and said I need to either shave or get another coat.
I can't say I have suffered from fashion insecurities since my teenage years. For the little girl with the sarcastic sense of humor, you could respond, "the one that just got released from jail for violent crimes"

@Tanks, thanks for starting this thread. I have come to appreciate hats and realize I don’t know didily squat about them. This thread is advancing my education as I have never heard of Rand and some of the other hat brands mentioned.
I used to wear ball caps but have veered away from them the last couple of years and will absolutely not wear one with a button on top. Those buttons are annoying when wearing hearing protection or headsets while shooting or flying.
I have had a Pendleton Wool Fedora for many years that I wear sometimes in the winter months and for the last couple of years been wearing a Palmata Panama Hat from Orvis in the summer months.
I would like to try on several styles of hats to see what looks good on me and what doesn’t. Do you have ant suggestions on hat makers with in 200 miles of south central California?
Barons in LA will make you a superb custom hat. https://www.baronhats.com/ In the photo of me and the buff toward the start of this discussion, I am wearing a Baron hat. It is the same style they made for Redford for his character in "Out of Africa." His, to @Kevin Peacocke 's certain delight, had a puggaree band. I preferred leather on mine.

That photo was taken nearly ten years ago, and the hat is going strong and still worn a great deal.

I regret to say he looks better in his. :cry:
HAT5.jpg

buff7.jpg

View attachment 534593
No Montblanc but it does the job just as well. A local guy in a wheelchair made this one from maple burl. The nib is from China I think. I use a fountain pen because my veterans disability is to right hand. Fountain pens require less pressure when writing.
I like your lamp

When do you wear the bunny ears? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I haven’t seen her wear her bunny ears in while they grow up quickly !
function over fashion for my hunting and cattle hats
IMG_0376.jpeg

Last edited:
@Red Leg, what model is your Rand?
I have several. The Low Safari, Drover, and European Clay are all good designs as a starting place for a hunting hat.

This is a Low Safari in loden green.

Hill Country 10-Point

I live with a hat on my head. Baseball caps, Colombian vueltiao, Stetson, Resistol, Fedora and then one of my favorite caps, a tweed newsboy cap or flat cap. I have hunted with the same tweed flat cap for many years. I really like the Rogue Breezy my wife bought for me on our last trip to South Africa.

When I taught at the Jungle Warfare School and worked LATAM many years ago, I mostly wore an OD Boonie hat that was Scotch guard coated and shaped like a cowboy hat. I didn't have any problems keeping it on my head.

Safe travels

I can't say I have suffered from fashion insecurities since my teenage years. For the little girl with the sarcastic sense of humor, you could respond, "the one that just got released from jail for violent crimes"
She was way too young to understand sarcasm. Sadly, she was dead serious. Being misidentified as a reality show host (any reality show host) was definitely a clue I needed to readjust my image. So one of the Commanders did time in the slammer? Really? I thought they were heavy into the Born Again scene.

She was way too young to understand sarcasm. Sadly, she was dead serious. Being misidentified as a reality show host (any reality show host) was definitely a clue I needed to readjust my image. So one of the Commanders did time in the slammer? Really? I thought they were heavy into the Born Again scene.
Although I’m fairly certain the violent crime comment was made in jest there’s nothing saying that those two facets are mutually exclusive. People are completely capable of finding their way to god in even the most inhospitable of places. Phil Robertson openly admits to leading a colourful life before finding his way.

I think I may get a real kicking on this thread if I ever admitted to wearing Westley Richards shirts and jackets and Purdey leather coat, writing with a Holland and Holland pen and wearing a Rolex. Why do I do it you might ask? Because I appreciate quality, and it brings me far more pleasure than the money does. Visit to Rand's next!! With a chin strap to keep it on in my Land Rover...
+1 Kevin and enjoy doing so!

So one of the Commanders did time in the slammer? Really? I thought they were heavy into the Born Again scene.
I actually have no idea if any of them have done time. I just figured that statement with the right look would have made an impression :D

@Tanks, thanks for starting this thread. I have come to appreciate hats and realize I don’t know didily squat about them. This thread is advancing my education as I have never heard of Rand and some of the other hat brands mentioned.
I used to wear ball caps but have veered away from them the last couple of years and will absolutely not wear one with a button on top. Those buttons are annoying when wearing hearing protection or headsets while shooting or flying.
I have had a Pendleton Wool Fedora for many years that I wear sometimes in the winter months and for the last couple of years been wearing a Palmata Panama Hat from Orvis in the summer months.
I would like to try on several styles of hats to see what looks good on me and what doesn’t. Do you have ant suggestions on hat makers with in 200 miles of south central California?
I just had a dozen custom ball caps made. The button gets hot and is annoying. Take pliers or channel locks, squeeze the button on top, it will collapse and you can pull it off, underneath the inside has 3 prongs that stick thru the hat and anchor the top button. You have to wiggle and gently pry it off. Masssage the fabric and you will never know it was there. They are just to finish the cap and hide the stitching. Hope this helps everyone.

Early Rhodesian school photo, obviously there was no Rand branch in the tropics.
Note the look of mischief on the taces of the two who forgot their hats at home, even in the sixties that was detention, lines or whatever.
D7ED5D20-B09B-44E9-86DC-BE300DB70BC8.jpeg

As a well rounded sportsman I must own 50 different hats. All were bought for a perceived specific purpose in mind. All have worked well for me but my wife continues to point out “why does anyone need so many hats?” My hats all have one thing in common, sweat stains, blood stains and dirt. Apparently I do not take as good of care of my hats as many of those pictured here. Now you all have made me feel slovenly so I must get out a brush and some dawn dish detergent and go clean a few dozen hats. Got nothing but time while recovering from my recent double knee replacements. My wife will pitch a fit when she gets home and finds hats hanging everywhere while they dry. Well at least I will look spiffy next time I wear them.

As a well rounded sportsman I must own 50 different hats. All were bought for a perceived specific purpose in mind. All have worked well for me but my wife continues to point out “why does anyone need so many hats?” My hats all have one thing in common, sweat stains, blood stains and dirt. Apparently I do not take as good of care of my hats as many of those pictured here. Now you all have made me feel slovenly so I must get out a brush and some dawn dish detergent and go clean a few dozen hats. Got nothing but time while recovering from my recent double knee replacements. My wife will pitch a fit when she gets home and finds hats hanging everywhere while they dry. Well at least I will look spiffy next time I wear them.
Or bin them and go out and buy a Rand. The sport this time will be baiting your wife.

Boots can have a similar effect.

Both of those Granger hats look like they're barely sitting on his head. Wouldn't take much of a breeze to send them into the next zipcode, especially with all that hair to act as ball bearings. My hats tell me when I'm overdue for a haircut. They keep migrating down my forehead ... or across the parking lot.
You must be a lot of fun at parties. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vonfergus

Latest profile posts

Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!