My new hunting handgun

A beautiful pair of revolvers. Too bad you have since a low opinion of the S&W.

A beautiful pair of revolvers. Too bad you have since a low opinion of the S&W.
I read the entire thread. Who has a low opinion of the Smith and Wesson?

I'll start. I have a low opinion of the Smith and Wesson because they once were something great. Now they are all MIM internals and they have some stupid internal lock that can cause issues if left in place. I'm pretty low mileage on my S&Ws though at about 200,000 rounds so don't mind me. Unfortunately they are still the best game in town for double action revolvers and I stick with them because I can tune them. I don't know anything about a Ruger double action except the tunes ones I have handled did not impress me.

The Ruger and the BFR are very similar. I'm going with the Ruger single action since I know exactly what's under the hood. Don't like end shake? Ron Power at Power Custom makes shims to eliminate it. You can also fit your own pawls and cylinder stops if you really want to play with it. God bless anyone who loves those adjustable sights. I would want that front blade gone so fast...it's hideous. No thank you. I prefer the clean lines of the fixed sights. They require a little more effort to sight in, but when they are done all is right in the world.

I change the hammer and trigger springs out for a kit from Long Hunter Shooting Supply. Works out to be a 15# hammer spring and a 30 ounce trigger spring. The gun becomes very smooth and fully functional with Federal, Winchester, and CCI large pistol magnum primers. That's a very low mileage test though maybe about 15,000 rounds over eight or ten pistols without a click when I needed a bang.

I read the entire thread. Who has a low opinion of the Smith and Wesson?

I'll start. I have a low opinion of the Smith and Wesson because they once were something great. Now they are all MIM internals and they have some stupid internal lock that can cause issues if left in place. I'm pretty low mileage on my S&Ws though at about 200,000 rounds so don't mind me. Unfortunately they are still the best game in town for double action revolvers and I stick with them because I can tune them. I don't know anything about a Ruger double action except the tunes ones I have handled did not impress me.

The Ruger and the BFR are very similar. I'm going with the Ruger single action since I know exactly what's under the hood. Don't like end shake? Ron Power at Power Custom makes shims to eliminate it. You can also fit your own pawls and cylinder stops if you really want to play with it. God bless anyone who loves those adjustable sights. I would want that front blade gone so fast...it's hideous. No thank you. I prefer the clean lines of the fixed sights. They require a little more effort to sight in, but when they are done all is right in the world.

I change the hammer and trigger springs out for a kit from Long Hunter Shooting Supply. Works out to be a 15# hammer spring and a 30 ounce trigger spring. The gun becomes very smooth and fully functional with Federal, Winchester, and CCI large pistol magnum primers. That's a very low mileage test though maybe about 15,000 rounds over eight or ten pistols without a click when I needed a bang.
Can the internal lock "guts" be removed ?
Your spring changes sound interesting but this PC is pretty smooth already...hmmmmm

Can the internal lock "guts" be removed ?
Your spring changes sound interesting but this PC is pretty smooth already...hmmmmm
You can do that, but there's a space in the hammer well I preferred to grind the stud flush to the indicator plate so that it cannot fail and lock up the gun. Original Precision out of Arizona makes a plug for the hole in the side of the frame, but the gap is still there beside the hammer. The guy that runs the place seems nice enough on the phone and even gives a video on how to disassemble and reassemble the revolver. I think this is best left to a gunsmith or a competent competitive revolver shooter type.

To be completely clear I was only talking about spring changes for the Ruger single action pistols.

It's a whole other ball of wax going into a Smith and Wesson's side plate and from what you said about the PC gun being good enough, further discussion would be moot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross