Pelle Olstam

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Sweden, Namibia
Picked up my first double rifle last friday. It`s a Heym 88b in .375 H&H from 1985.
I´ve been waiting for it to come back from the gunsmith who has mounted an Aimpoint H2, 2 MOA on it. The rifle came with an old Schmidt & Bender scope that it was regulated with from the factory.
Went to the range yesterday and had a few shots. It`s really something special about a double. I´m not sure yet about what bullet and load I´m gonna use in it, but I still have the summer to develop a load that I like. Really looking forward to start hunting with it.
IMG_2725.JPG
IMG_2726.JPG
IMG_2727.JPG
IMG_2728.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a beautiful box lock , in deed . I am willing to bet that it is regulated for RWS brand ammunition . Congratulations.

Curious what sort of mounts came with the gun. The photos look like Recknagel pivot bases? I trust your gunsmith was able to come up with a mount that would utilize those original bases without damage. A .375 in a double can be an extraordinarily versatile rifle. If you find a load it really likes, you will likely want to trade the red dot for a scope at some point. Having bases that accept the scope or the aimpoint would be ideal. I have taken game from 25 meters to nearly 250 with my scoped .375 double. Congratulations on a great rifle.

Great Looking double, it should be really fun to shoot.

Curious what sort of mounts came with the gun. The photos look like Recknagel pivot bases? I trust your gunsmith was able to come up with a mount that would utilize those original bases without damage. A .375 in a double can be an extraordinarily versatile rifle. If you find a load it really likes, you will likely want to trade the red dot for a scope at some point. Having bases that accept the scope or the aimpoint would be ideal. I have taken game from 25 meters to nearly 250 with my scoped .375 double. Congratulations on a great rifle.
In fact, the more I look at them those would appear to be claw bases. All the better should you eventually want to rail mount a telescopic sight.

In fact, the more I look at them those would appear to be claw bases. All the better should you eventually want to rail mount a telescopic sight.

I´m not sure about the term in English but I`m pretty sure it is claw bases. In Swedish it`s called "hakmontage" :).
The bases came original from Heym as the rifle was fitted and regulated with the S&M scope. The gunsmith made a new base for the Aimpoint and I can take it of in seconds and go for open sights or a scope. The rifle still have the original bases from Heym. I will post some Pictures of it as soon as I can.
I will most certainly get a scope as well for the rifle in the future. Just have to save up some Money first. I´ll probably go for a 1-4, a 1-6 or something like that.

Thanks for the feedback!

Nice rifle, congratulations !

I´m not sure about the term in English but I`m pretty sure it is claw bases. In Swedish it`s called "hakmontage" :).
The bases came original from Heym as the rifle was fitted and regulated with the S&M scope. The gunsmith made a new base for the Aimpoint and I can take it of in seconds and go for open sights or a scope. The rifle still have the original bases from Heym. I will post some Pictures of it as soon as I can.
I will most certainly get a scope as well for the rifle in the future. Just have to save up some Money first. I´ll probably go for a 1-4, a 1-6 or something like that.

Thanks for the feedback!
I don't speak Swedish, but my German is pretty good and the German name for claw mounts is virtually identical. Lovely rifle. Obviously, it will be great in Africa, but would also be terrific with that sight on a driven hunt for wild boar in Europe.

Congratulations to this beauty I do have a Heym 88 in .375 H&H too and I did never regret buying it. Your mount does look like a „Suhler Einhakmontage“

Last edited:
That should work for Moose too, if you want to take it out in the northern woods.

Yes, I sure will. Most of my hunting is for moose and thats primaraly what I´ll be using this rifle for. Have a Dream about Buffalo hunting in Africa as well.

This is finest craftsmanship.....two sights/scopes on the same claws, without changeing point of impact.

(y)

HWL

Good day sir.
Well I’m super happy for you with that extremely fine double rifle !!
I would like to ask if I can get your gunsmith info please !?
Thanks in advance
Paul Grobler

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glorianab

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg