My first 375

Beautiful timber on that rifle, congratulations.

You didn't say what kind of rings you are using on your scope. It would be wise to have some QD rings so you can use the iron sights if needed. Maybe not for this trip, but with a 375...Dangerous Game is on the menu.
My thoughts exactly. This trip is close and this rifle is mainly for Eland and Zebra this year. Also taking my 300wsm for lighter stuff.
But Buffalo will be on the menu one day for sure and I want to be able to use those iron sights.
Also thinking about a new scope for it eventually. I like this one but with a 375s reach May want a little more magnification.

Wow, what a beautiful rifle! Congrats!

I use the Oryx and like it a great deal. It works very well on PG (Oryx). However, for buffalo I believe the A Frame would be much better choice. I am confident you will get much better penetration on a very tough animal.
I was thinking either A Frame or Barnes TSX for Buffalo.
I’ve seen 350 gr bullets as well. You guys like the heavier bullet or stick with the 300gr?

Nice Mickey!

Agree with others on 300 grain aframe for buffalo.

You might also want to look into the 235 grain CEB raptor for PG. I'm getting 2935 fps and incredible accuracy. It's also a devastating bullet on raccoons. :cool:
That sounds like fun. Just had a bout of raccoon hunting with my son. The little pests made a way through the floor of my feed house and we’re destroying my feed bins. My son and I declared war and ended up wiping out 8 of them before I could get my floor repaired. Wish I had this rifle then. That illuminated reticle would have been useful!

I was thinking either A Frame or Barnes TSX for Buffalo.
I’ve seen 350 gr bullets as well. You guys like the heavier bullet or stick with the 300gr?
I used Barnes 350grTSX ahead of 63gr of 4064 in my 375HH for a one shot head on kill for my buf. We didn't find the slug. The PH guessed it went stem to stern. Same round for eland. Very effective.

My thoughts exactly. This trip is close and this rifle is mainly for Eland and Zebra this year. Also taking my 300wsm for lighter stuff.
But Buffalo will be on the menu one day for sure and I want to be able to use those iron sights.
Also thinking about a new scope for it eventually. I like this one but with a 375s reach May want a little more magnification.
4x should be good out to 250 yards or so. If you are considering shots beyond that range, you should really consider getting closer. I know several PH's will not allow a first time African hunter shoot beyond 150 yards at game. Some even limit it to 100 yards. Once the PH is comfortable with your level of accuracy, consistency and firearm handling, he may extend the range.

If you only take the 375, you will not be disappointed and your PH will be psyched. If you are concerned about blowing the offside from one of the Tiny Ten...use a monolithic flat nosed solid, like the ones from Cutting Edge, Nosler or the Woodleigh Hydro. One rifle, one scope, less luggage, travel light and done.

I took 9 head of PG from Blesbok to Eland with a 375H&H and 300 grain Swift A-Frames.

Or you can do it your way with two rifles. Best of luck, whichever way you decide.

I've wanted a .375 H&H for a while now but just seriously started looking within the last year. I really wanted a nice used Kimber Caprivi to match my Kimber 300WSM. But Kimber rifles are becoming scarce out there. After a few failed bids on some Winchester Mo.70s and one Colt Sauer rifle, I landed this Ruger M77. I own several other Rugers and have always liked these rifles. I am very pleased with the wood and its in spotless condition, already topped with a Vortex 1x4 scope.
View attachment 418312

I love handloading and ammo is almost non-existent right now anyway. I couldn't find Barnes bullets so I was going to use A Frames. But Midway had 300gr Norma Oryx and I have really had great luck with them in some of my other rifles, so I decided to try them first. My first test loads are ready and I can't wait to try out the rifle and the loads this weekend.
It is a really great looking round.
View attachment 418313

Hopefully this combo will be just right for a big, old Eland bull in Namibia next month!
Great rifle! I am leaving for Namibia on Tuesday. We are using our outfitter’s guns this time due to the logistcal situation. Please give a detailed report when you get home. I look forward to it. Your friend, Brian

4x should be good out to 250 yards or so. If you are considering shots beyond that range, you should really consider getting closer. I know several PH's will not allow a first time African hunter shoot beyond 150 yards at game. Some even limit it to 100 yards. Once the PH is comfortable with your level of accuracy, consistency and firearm handling, he may extend the range.

If you only take the 375, you will not be disappointed and your PH will be psyched. If you are concerned about blowing the offside from one of the Tiny Ten...use a monolithic flat nosed solid, like the ones from Cutting Edge, Nosler or the Woodleigh Hydro. One rifle, one scope, less luggage, travel light and done.

I took 9 head of PG from Blesbok to Eland with a 375H&H and 300 grain Swift A-Frames.

Or you can do it your way with two rifles. Best of luck, whichever way you decide.
I’m not sure how a two gun set up is going to work when both can do similar things. I just love my 300WSM over there and now I have a new gun I don’t want to leave at home.
Believe me, 150 to 200 is the limit of my comfort zone. I think the longest shot I’ve taken on non-wounded game was about 185 yards on a Blue Wildebeest. I’m a get close, then get closer kind of hunter.

Great rifle! I am leaving for Namibia on Tuesday. We are using our outfitter’s guns this time due to the logistcal situation. Please give a detailed report when you get home. I look forward to it. Your friend, Brian
I definitely will leave a report and I look forward to reading yours.
What is your travel route?
I’m just hoping this latest craze of Covid doesn’t cause us some last minute snag. This is our third reschedule in this hunt already.

I’m not sure how a two gun set up is going to work when both can do similar things. I just love my 300WSM over there and now I have a new gun I don’t want to leave at home.
Believe me, 150 to 200 is the limit of my comfort zone. I think the longest shot I’ve taken on non-wounded game was about 185 yards on a Blue Wildebeest. I’m a get close, then get closer kind of hunter.
I had a 300WSM that shot lights out to 200 yards, but when it came time to go to Africa...375 lead the way. Making a decision to take one or two rifles, is a good problem to have. You have the right approach when it comes how far to shoot at game. Best of luck on your hunt.

I've wanted a .375 H&H for a while now but just seriously started looking within the last year. I really wanted a nice used Kimber Caprivi to match my Kimber 300WSM. But Kimber rifles are becoming scarce out there. After a few failed bids on some Winchester Mo.70s and one Colt Sauer rifle, I landed this Ruger M77. I own several other Rugers and have always liked these rifles. I am very pleased with the wood and its in spotless condition, already topped with a Vortex 1x4 scope.
View attachment 418312

I love handloading and ammo is almost non-existent right now anyway. I couldn't find Barnes bullets so I was going to use A Frames. But Midway had 300gr Norma Oryx and I have really had great luck with them in some of my other rifles, so I decided to try them first. My first test loads are ready and I can't wait to try out the rifle and the loads this weekend.
It is a really great looking round.
View attachment 418313

Hopefully this combo will be just right for a big, old Eland bull in Namibia next month!
You found a nice rifle sir! Congrats!

Cool rifle. Please post how the reloading process goes.
First test loads went fine.
None of the loads I used IMR 4350 in were under 1 3/4”. That has always been a go to powder for me.
But RL 15 shot well. Had one group at 1 1/4”. 66gr RL15 was the best at an inch. 110 yards off the bench.
According to the different reloading manuals that is either near minimum or near max. ?? I may try to go up 1/2 grain or 1 gr and re-test. But I feel like that may be getting picky in a 375 when I have a load shooting 1” group.

Great looking rifle. Congratulations.

The RSM's have classic lines.

I definitely will leave a report and I look forward to reading yours.
What is your travel route?
I’m just hoping this latest craze of Covid doesn’t cause us some last minute snag. This is our third reschedule in this hunt already.
We are leaving on August 17. We sre traveling with Ethiopian Airlines and have booked through Travel Express. I am very pleased with this agency. After the tragedy of Lori Spears passing Jennifer Ginn picked up the reigns and has been great to deal with. Highly recommended to those planing a hunt. I will write a detailed report when we get home. Have a great hunt. Your friend, Brian

Congratulations on a beautiful rifle! I have one in 416! Hope you get it to Africa soon!

We are leaving on August 17. We sre traveling with Ethiopian Airlines and have booked through Travel Express. I am very pleased with this agency. After the tragedy of Lori Spears passing Jennifer Ginn picked up the reigns and has been great to deal with. Highly recommended to those planing a hunt. I will write a detailed report when we get home. Have a great hunt. Your friend, Brian
We’re traveling Qatar through Doha and JoBerg. We also use Travel Express and I would agree, Jennifer has dealt with everything amazingly. Lori has always handled my travel to Africa and I was floored when I heard the news. I know it’s a terrible loss for her family and this community as well. But Jennifer picked it all up and has been excellent.

Very nice rifle.

Congratulations on the great new rifle. I have several RSM's two of which are 375's;)

As for bullet weights, the 375 H&H is darn near as flexible as the 30-06! As
@Royal27 mentioned, you can shoot 235 grain at high speed, there are 250, 260, 270, 300 and 350 grain available and I'm sure more.

Regarding the 350's on buffalo, I have no personal experience but should be a great option for buff or other big dangerous game you intend to get close to. However if you are also hunting other critters and doing so at longer yards. Stick with 300 grain A Frame, TSX, or Trophy Bonded Bear Claw for very good Ballistic balance and deadly terminal performance on buffalo;)

Still tweaking my loads a little. Had a weird grouping tonight. Two different 4 shot tests put 2 in the same hole and 2 more in a different hole, but 3 inches between them. Did it twice. ???
But I’ve never had a cuter range partner.
67E0CB7B-C56A-4C37-8C83-87A470C60AD6.jpeg
A1FD79C4-3712-4BE9-84D0-3AE69490853D.jpeg

I am also in the market for my first 375 H&H. What rifle will be recommended?
In South Africa the CZ 550 has always been the norm and go to rifle for most, but prices have gone up drastically and now almost competes with Sako prices. I also like the Winchester Mod 70, which is in the same price range. Any recommendations or opinions between these rifles... they are all in the $2000 - $3000 price range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg