My Covid vaccination experience

Philip,
I'll answer you as best I can,
No, they didn't skip animal trials. Due to the urgency of the pandemic, animal trials were done simultaneously with Phase1 Trials. Tested on mice and macaques.
Phase 1 Trials are on small groups to determine safety, and dosing (how much does it take to produce and immune response). These are all healthy people (often medical or college students)
Phase 2 Is done on a larger group for immune response and side effects, and include populations at risk
Phase 3 trials include much larger numbers, including people at risk
At this point emergency use authorization was granted when the risk of serious injury or death was 9x higher in the unvaccinated group
As with all drugs and all other vaccines, monitoring of efficacy and side effects will continue for decades.

And the idea that a vaccine has to have a part of covid, or whatever other antigen in it will fall by the wayside. mRNA is a much more efficient way to produce a small amount of protein that by purifying it from covid. As to why this was the first, two words: Donald Trump. He didn't want hundreds of thousands more dying, so he kicked the drug companies in the ass and said start working together and get it done. Share research. WW II type stuff. Not that he will get any credit.

mRNA may hold the key to targeting cancer cells as well. Researchers have been working on this for a couple of decades.

Anyway, if you have other specific questions feel free to PM me. I'm sure this is more than most want to know.

Best.
@longbow70
Thanks so much for your detailed and educated answers and information. There are a lot of us on here that want to learn from people like you with ACTUAL scientific experience, not something they read online. Thanks and keep it up.

Interesting topic. I for one elected to get inoculated, but I respect the decision of those that do not. That said, does anyone truly believe that the person who sits down next to you during the flight layover in.....let's say for example ....Accra, Ghana had a legitimate PCR test before they boarded the flight? Maybe, but a lot of things in the 3rd world aren't the same as they are here. Perhaps something to consider before you decide to go au naturel .

For the international traveler, it's going to be very, very hard to NOT get the vaccine. not just because of any travel requirements, but because of the possibility of either getting covid in a 2nd world country or getting a bad PCR test and finding yourself stuck in a place you'd rather not be.

As far as not FDA approved - neither was the Stamaril i had to get in place of the YF-Vax because of the supply issues they had a few years back.

I personally think what's so scary here is that we have been getting the same types of vaccines over the years and are just used to it. The mRNA is new, unknown in the general public, and was horribly politicized because, well, that's apparently what we do in this country. We might be on the cusp of the unknown, but we aren't going back. It's a scary world out there - who knows what's down the road. My sister died of an aneurysm at 49 - the same age I am now. Every damn day is a gift - open it.

Philip,
I'll answer you as best I can,
No, they didn't skip animal trials. Due to the urgency of the pandemic, animal trials were done simultaneously with Phase1 Trials. Tested on mice and macaques.
Phase 1 Trials are on small groups to determine safety, and dosing (how much does it take to produce and immune response). These are all healthy people (often medical or college students)
Phase 2 Is done on a larger group for immune response and side effects, and include populations at risk
Phase 3 trials include much larger numbers, including people at risk
At this point emergency use authorization was granted when the risk of serious injury or death was 9x higher in the unvaccinated group
As with all drugs and all other vaccines, monitoring of efficacy and side effects will continue for decades.

And the idea that a vaccine has to have a part of covid, or whatever other antigen in it will fall by the wayside. mRNA is a much more efficient way to produce a small amount of protein that by purifying it from covid. As to why this was the first, two words: Donald Trump. He didn't want hundreds of thousands more dying, so he kicked the drug companies in the ass and said start working together and get it done. Share research. WW II type stuff. Not that he will get any credit.

mRNA may hold the key to targeting cancer cells as well. Researchers have been working on this for a couple of decades.

Anyway, if you have other specific questions feel free to PM me. I'm sure this is more than most want to know.

Best.

Excellent response! Be prepared for much faster cycle time on vaccines going forward. Our gene editing capabilities jumped light years with crispr cas developed by Sharon Doughty and the team at UC Berkeley.

This, combined with our increased knowledge of the master regulator gene functions, allows us to develop vaccines that tell the body it is under attack from a specific agent and trigger the development of antigens. And we can now do this very quickly. Full transcript profiling of
Gene response functions can be done in minutes rather than days/weeks at a fraction of what it previously cost.

So what’s the punchline? Development times less than 1/10th of what was previously possible, and and vaccines that trigger antigen production without exposure to the disease.

The other item of note is the high risk of mutation in the traditional production of vaccines. This is mitigated by rigorous QA/QC but the rejection level can be an issue.

This technology is new and we are
Still trying to determine how to adapt systems to the new capabilities. Skepticism is understandable with such a dramatic change, but this is where the world is going. I for one am glad to see it.

Had my 2nd round of Moderna Wednesday morning at 9:00. Felt fine all day, woke up this morning with a slight headache and by noon felt like I had the full blown flu but by 7:00 pm felt much better other than a little more tired than usual.

I would not think the airlines or other countries could mandate something not FDA approved. Who knows what the future holds I just hope people study up on theses important subjects.
Emirates is requiring all of their flight crews to be vaccinated. I’d say it won’t be long until all of the airlines will require this for both crew and passengers.

Emirates is requiring all of their flight crews to be vaccinated. I’d say it won’t be long until all of the airlines will require this for both crew and passengers.

I agree. The vaccine won’t be mandated, but your access to certain services will require it, creating much the same effect.

Had my 2nd round of Moderna Wednesday morning at 9:00. Felt fine all day, woke up this morning with a slight headache and by noon felt like I had the full blown flu but by 7:00 pm felt much better other than a little more tired than usual.
After zero reaction to the first, that was exactly my reaction to the second Moderna. I guess it means the body is reacting properly with an immune response. It may not be the universal reaction to the second Moderna, but I think it is the most common.

I had contracted covid back in October and had a rough time of it. I got my moderna vaccine 2 weeks ago and I felt pretty lousy for about 2 days with fever and chills. Nice fellow who gave me the shot told me that since I already had covid I may have a stronger reaction to the first dose. He was spot on. I get my 2nd dose April 12th and am hoping for a lesser reaction this next time. If I had a choice I would have picked the Johnson and Johnson vaccine. When it comes to covid my advice is take whatever is available. Stay healthy my friends.

I had contracted covid back in October and had a rough time of it. I got my moderna vaccine 2 weeks ago and I felt pretty lousy for about 2 days with fever and chills. Nice fellow who gave me the shot told me that since I already had covid I may have a stronger reaction to the first dose. He was spot on. I get my 2nd dose April 12th and am hoping for a lesser reaction this next time. If I had a choice I would have picked the Johnson and Johnson vaccine. When it comes to covid my advice is take whatever is available. Stay healthy my friends.

These second shot reactions beg the questions as to whether its 1) necessary or 2) if they should only give half a dose. I remember hearing something a while ago about this, but it seemed to fade away. Not sure.

My wife had the Pfizer vaccine and only had swollen lymph nodes - no fever or lethargy.

Arkansas recently opened up the qualifications for a vaccine in a way that allowed me to get my first dose of the Phizer vac yesterday afternoon. Went to the Baptist Hospital clinic here in Little Rock, and it was a very positive experience. Very organized and everyone seemed competent within their respective roles.
As for the vaccine itself, the actual injection was the most painless I've ever experienced, and so far (approximately 21 hours later) my only side effect is a sore shoulder (basically feels like someone punched me in the shoulder hard like we used to do back in high school years ago). Otherwise, no issues at all.
My wife goes for her second round next week. She didn't have any issues at all after her first round two weeks or so ago (she's considered an essential worker, so she was able to get in earlier than I was). We'll see if there is any difference for her on the second dose.

As for the wisdom of getting the vaccine or not, I have had five people in my "circle of acquaintances" die from the virus over the last year. Two were in their 30's (so approximately a decade younger than I am), two were in their 60's, and one was in her 80's. One of the 30-somethings had cancer, but had not yet begun any treatment (she was told she had cancer, then was diagnosed with COVID less than a week later, then was dead three days after that). The other girl was in her late 30's and was perfectly healthy with no known underlying health conditions. She left behind a husband and children.

Statistically, the chances of the vaccine killing any of us is astronomically lower than the chances of the virus killing us or a loved one that we might inadvertently pass it to.
I absolutely respect anyone's right to choose not to take a vaccine if that's their personal bleief, but I'll gladly and willingly take my chances with the vaccine rather than the virus, please and thank you.

My brother & I got the Jansson (J&J), 1 shot.... about 10 days ago. I had virtually no symptoms. My shoulders, elbows, knees & hip joints were a little achy the next day. I guess that’s “muscle pain”. Not enough to treat. My brother, 3years older, felt like he had a 48 flu. We got the shots literally 2 minutes apart at same facility. Side note. Mine left a painless “bruise” for 10 days.... his left none.

Who knows....

My wife and I are scheduled to get the vaccine on Wednesday here in MN. A close friend from church is in a tough bout with covid right now. He is on an IV drip.
I will continue following covid guidelines.
I know how to hunt, but I listen to and follow the PH’s instructions. I’m doing the same with my MD.

+1. My wife and I both had Covid the last week of November and first few days of December. Other than chronic fatigue it wasn’t too bad. But, I’ve read about a harsher reaction to the vaccine for those who have had the virus. So, I’m glad to hear your reaction to the vaccine wasn’t severe.

The problem with saying that "I've read about........." is the same problem with the health departments claiming that the guy that was in a motorcycle wreck died of Covid. Show me the proof.

I know of quite a few people who have gotten vaccinated and I have only heard of a couple of saying that they felt sick for a day. Most say that all that they have had was the sore arm and perhaps feeling tired. I

I also know a few that have come down with Covid. One good friend spend two weeks in the ICU hooked up to a ventilator that was breathing for her. I also have a couple of friends who have had it and they say that it was no worse than a case of the flu.

For myself I have underlying health conditions with a big one being asthma. My one doctor told me to get the vaccine. He is also on top of environmental conditions that would affect his patients. Last summer where there was a large fire just to the west of where I lived his office called and told me that I needed to stay inside my home and not to do too much outdoors. When I went outside I could feel my lungs closing up with the little bit of smoke that was in the air.

So in two hours I'll be getting my second arm jab and see how I feel in the next couple of days.

Thanks to all for sharing your experiences. Different for everyone. Our state case numbers continue to drop and deaths likewise following the downward trend since vaccinations have begun. I am aware of some people who have had issues from the vaccinations but generally short lived and no lasting debilities. Best wishes to all for future travels

When the JJ shot is convenient to get I plan to go that way, one and done. Be damned if I am going to sit in my car or a line for 3 hours to get a shot!

Hope when they do try to mandate it .it blows up in their faces air lines and other countries tourism.
So, i think everyone is a correct. None of the vaccines have final FDA approval. All, in use in this country, do have FDA emergency use approval. However, none of us receiving the vaccinations are part of a formal trial study. Though should every third recipient start dropping dead or growing a another ear, it would certainly inform the final FDA approval.

An airline or a country can mandate proof of vaccination before either providing a service (Qantas just did so) or allowing entry. Thus far, I am not aware of a country that has done so, but I would not be surprised if becomes the norm.

Hope it pits the airlines out of business
They aren't mandating it Philip. They are simply saying, as in the case of Qantas, you can't fly on our aircraft without it. I fully expect all international carriers will soon require the same. The ATA (Air Transport Association) is already working on a digital AP that will act as a vaccination "passport" for international travel on participating airlines (that is nearly all of them). None will be mandating that you must take the vaccine - only that you can't use their transport systems without it.

A nation can deny entry to anyone they wish for any reason they wish. And except for economic competitive reasons in the US and perhaps Europe, vaccine developers like China aren't particularly focused on what the US FDA has to say about anything. Indeed, apparently China is considering mandating a vaccination with their vaccine in order to enter the country. And several nations already mandate yellow fever vaccinations, though it is not often checked.

And in my opinion at least, if the AP obviates the need for pre-flight testing, then it can't be implemented soon enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.