My Buffalo with a Bow (Mercy Kill)

Can you blame him?
The feeling seems to be that his Buffalo hunt wasn't everyone's cup of tea but no one in this entire thread attacked him for doing what he did.

"Run off" by a few anonymous guys on a public forum...if you are correct then it's a good thing that the buffalo didn't charge him;)

I recently experienced a similar situation with a black wildebeest. Initial shot was with bow (high shot in shoulder), tracked and had to use a rifle and further wounded, but did not kill the animal. Dog had animal at bay and I was able to work my way into bow range and killed animal with a bow.

I discussed this situation with SCI. When "lead poisoning" entered the picture, regardless of outcome, the animal could no longer be considered for an archery entry in the record book, only a gun kill.

Disheartening, but those are the cold had facts of the matter for record book purposes. Still a very nice buff and I'm sure an adrenalinine pumping hunt !

Congrats

I recently experienced a similar situation with a black wildebeest. Initial shot was with bow (high shot in shoulder), tracked and had to use a rifle and further wounded, but did not kill the animal. Dog had animal at bay and I was able to work my way into bow range and killed animal with a bow.

I discussed this situation with SCI. When "lead poisoning" entered the picture, regardless of outcome, the animal could no longer be considered for an archery entry in the record book, only a gun kill.

Disheartening, but those are the cold had facts of the matter for record book purposes. Still a very nice buff and I'm sure an adrenalinine pumping hunt !

Congrats
Good that you killed the animal with minimal suffering.

WHO CARES what SCI says about your kill? I think that record books trivialize our sport and gives the anti's ammunition that we kill for sport

My 2cents anyway

The feeling seems to be that his Buffalo hunt wasn't everyone's cup of tea but no one in this entire thread attacked him for doing what he did.

"Run off" by a few anonymous guys on a public forum...if you are correct then it's a good thing that the buffalo didn't charge him;)
Key word being anonymous..... a lot that is said on the internet wouldn’t be said to people face to face which I’m sure you are aware of. Fact is it was his hunt and his alone. There’s always a snide remark or two here and there in these types of posts. Some just prefer to just bow out and be done with it.

Key word being anonymous..... a lot that is said on the internet wouldn’t be said to people face to face which I’m sure you are aware of. Fact is it was his hunt and his alone. There’s always a snide remark or two here and there in these types of posts. Some just prefer to just bow out and be done with it.
Yes, and that seems to be what he did.

Again, no one condemned insulted or him here, so hopefully he didn't take it that way

Fact is it was his hunt and his alone.
When it’s put on a public forum and YouTube it becomes open to discussion. This hunt was questionable for several reasons and should have stayed private.

See my previous statement. I don’t argue on the internet. It’s much like wrestling with pigs.

We are our worst enemy when it comes to criticizing hunting, and at times we are worst than the antis. Yes, it's a public forum, but do we have to criticize everything? I get it, we are a very opiniated bunch, but come on.

We are our worst enemy when it comes to criticizing hunting, and at times we are worst than the antis. Yes, it's a public forum, but do we have to criticize everything? I get it, we are a very opiniated bunch, but come on.
We criticize something we don’t agree with so we can make ourselves feel superior to the one we criticized. “I don’t like it so therefore it’s not hunting by my standards and my opinion.....” as if it made a difference to anyone except the one criticizing ........

We criticize something we don’t agree with so we can make ourselves feel superior to the one we criticized. “I don’t like it so therefore it’s not hunting by my standards and my opinion.....” as if it made a difference to anyone except the one criticizing ........
The discussion changes other people’s perceptions and attitudes who read this, so yes it does make a difference. There are many examples of how hunting has changed over years and it’s because of discussions/criticism like this either in person or on a forum.

I guess I see it this way: the comments, while critical by definition, were not personal. They were said in a way, IMHO, to shed light on a number of issues. Whether you believe they should have been said or not is a separate issue. I believe we would all agree they were issues. I support what @375Fox fully. I'm also going to channel a much younger me and lean on Star Trek (OK, so I enjoy the newer movies too). Spock's thing... the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few (or one). Some of the issues with what he chose to put out there paint all of us with the same brush. To true anti-hunters it wouldn't matter a lick anyway. But to undecided folks, people who might still be swayed our direction? I don't want them thinking that's all hunters and all hunting. The concerns that many have voiced are legitimate. They were voiced in a firm but helpful way. I would argue voicing those concerns - the needs of the many - was a good and right thing.

I truly, sincerely hope he enjoyed his hunt. I do. And we all have hunts that go sideways in some way. But sometimes closer to the vest is an OK route to go, IMHO. Happy Tuesday everyone.

Congrats
Issues always arise when the book is the reason for a hunt.....hunt the right way the book will follow....

Why do we criticize shooting a buffalo over hay. But we justify shooting a leopard, bush pig, honey badger, and lion and others over bait. Why the difference????

Maybe we should say something on how those buffalos didn't look healthy at all, and looked like they were malnourished. I believe that is a bigger issue and the antis can and will use against us, vs. how that buffalo was shot.

My 2cents.

Why do we criticize shooting a buffalo over hay. But we justify shooting a leopard, bush pig, honey badger, and lion and others over bait. Why the difference????

Maybe we should say something on how those buffalos didn't look healthy at all, and looked like they were malnourished. I believe that is a bigger issue and the antis can and will use against us, vs. how that buffalo was shot.

My 2cents.
You make great points and I think that you are right, since it wasn’t just the hay bale…it was the herds condition as well and the fact that they looked and behaved more like cattle than wild Buffalo

True, we won’t shoot deer eating apples from a bucket but who wouldn’t put his tree stand in an apple orchard? The hay is a bad “look” is the answer, whether it is a logical answer or not

My 2cents.
The difference is the other animals listed are without question wild. Where is the line that we still call a wild species wild? A buffalo herd behind a fence with ear tags eating hay I would have to say is closer to domestic livestock than wild buffalo. The line is being increasingly crossed. We can call this a mercy kill or we can call it the alternative to calling the vet and darting it over the same hay. I really don’t care that he shot this buffalo. I’ve put down lots of sick animals on farm. I care that it presents a bad image of hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brookbeans941

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!