My Buffalo with a Bow (Mercy Kill)

Bule Jagter

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
ZA, USA, (Indonesia, because spearfishing is hunting, also)

Here's a link to my buffalo hunt. The first shot was with a bow, but when we began stalking it, I used a rifle for safety because the herd stayed with it, and they were a bit agressive. There's slow-motion footage of the arrow, within this video, as well.

Glad you were able to sort it out.

You guys are aware, I did not go there with the intention of shooting a buffalo. The owner of the property wanted the buffalo to be shot because it was suffering a slow death. The price was extremely low. It gave the property owner a little cash and ended a very painful life for that buffalo. It was all explained in the last half of the video.

Agreed. Milling around eating hay that was just put out for them makes them look like cattle. The ear tags throw it to another level. Definitely not a "hunt". But you were clear that this animal was killed because it was injured. Left alone it may have had a much more painful and torturous death. Even your title said mercy kill.
I'm not convinced you hit lung though. I've rewatched it a few times and don't think that arrow hit anything significant. If it wasn't for the rear leg injury and weakened condition I think that Buffalo would have been long gone! Luckily it just didn't have the energy left, and you were able to finish it off with a riffle. Definitely shows why it was decided that it should be put down.

You guys are aware, I did not go there with the intention of shooting a buffalo. The owner of the property wanted the buffalo to be shot because it was suffering a slow death. The price was extremely low. It gave the property owner a little cash and ended a very painful life for that buffalo. It was all explained in the last half of the video.
Might want to put that up front in the video or in the written explanation should you post it on another forum. I didn't make it through the whole thing. And maybe change the cover image?

Bad first shot not sure why it was taken.....
Follow up with a scoped rifle.....
Not my cup of tea....

I do understand the " mercy kill" part but I would have done it differently.....

No need to validate anything to anybody. The title, description and shape of the buff explain it. He really was doing poorly.

We all wish we only took perfect shots but alas, it doesn't always go that way if you hunt enough and nerves and brain are involved. Edit to add: I just watched your Kudu video. Clearly you can shoot. Nice Kudu.

All's well that ends well and you and the outfitter got a bonus for the trip. (y)

To each his own but the idea of "hunting" over a bale of hay with an old tire next to it, and then watching a herd of skinny buffalo with ear tags come in to eat, doesn't do it for me.
That visual perpetuates the stereotype that fenced-in South African-type game ranches is not "real" hunting.

Again, to each his own but definitely not for me. I do understand that that buffalo was probably 10% the cost of what a Zambian Buffalo would cost, so if it worked for you then good for you.

I do not begrudge anyone how they choose to hunt, as long as it's done legally. But +1 on what others have said about putting this out there and it perpetuating negative stereotypes. On another thread I said I don't shy away from the term trophy hunter; I refuse to let the far left/anti group define who I am. However I do think there is wisdom in keeping fuel away from those who are undecided. Again, not begrudging your hunt or why it was done. I've seen a few Alaskan critters in my neck of the woods that were clearly mercy killings.

I do not begrudge anyone how they choose to hunt, as long as it's done legally. But +1 on what others have said about putting this out there and it perpetuating negative stereotypes. On another thread I said I don't shy away from the term trophy hunter; I refuse to let the far left/anti group define who I am. However I do think there is wisdom in keeping fuel away from those who are undecided. Again, not begrudging your hunt or why it was done. I've seen a few Alaskan critters in my neck of the woods that were clearly mercy killings.
+1

Well said, just not a good look

What outfitter did you hunt with?

From your other videos it seems like you all really enjoyed your first trip to Africa.

Tell us about your equipment. What bow, arrow and broadhead did you use? Draw weight? Arrow weight?

What was the rifle for the follow up? Did the PH have a rifle too?

Last edited:
Having a ear tag or collar doesn't make a animal any more tame. Its how they are fed, raised, and handled.

Having a ear tag or collar doesn't make a animal any more tame. Its how they are fed, raised, and handled.
What are you trying to say in the above Jeff??

What are you trying to say in the above Jeff??
Exactly what I said ! Punching a ear tag in a animal to keep track of age, genetics or ownership in itself doesn't domesticate or tame a animal anymore than darting or collaring big game, there would have to be other influence.

Exactly what I said ! Punching a ear tag in a animal to keep track of age, genetics or ownership in itself doesn't domesticate or tame a animal anymore than darting or collaring big game, there would have to be other influence.
Do you think that a Cape Buffalo from a private fenced in game farm in RSA is as wild as one from places like Tanzania or Zambia where they might have never even seen a human before?

Usually animals that have no contact with humans are not too afraid of humans when they see one but heavily hunted animals whether free range or high fenced are extremely wary.

Another iteration of the great fence debate.

Habituation can occur inside and outside fences.

Baiting occurs inside and out as well: Water, Oranges, Salt licks (natural or created), feed, Lucerne/burnt areas regrowing, carcasses, etc.
If you don't recognize it does it matter?

Buffalo can be herded inside and out and frequently are.

Elephant "Approaches" are repeatedly done to familiarize hunters.
Watch Ivan Carter.
Does this habituate a "wild" Elephant to hunters, making them easier for the next guy, next year/decade?

Enjoy your hunts.

Here's an excerpt from a recent hunt report:
"........... A very large concession, but the area we are hunting black impala in is only a couple hundred acres. Got a glimpse of a large ram a couple times but no shot opportunities. ............"

".......... Sat in a blind by a water hole but no impala. ........"

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.