My Amazing Double Date!

Hi Art! It is easy sometimes to miss stuff here. It is a big place :) Thank you very much for the kind words! So, the first hunt is this fall and I am going to Tanzania with a few forum members from here. Then, whitetail in November, Mule deer in December, and next year I am going to Spain to hunt Ibex. THEN...I will need a vacation! :E Laugh:

Mmmm......am sure there must be a space for Zambia somewhere in there.........

@Just Gina
You have to get some marks on her despite her beauty.
Those marks on a rifle like the ageing of people tell a story and bring back memories of both good and bad time you spent together. Marks that everytime you look at her memories will come flooding back of her life together with you. That's why I will never repair a scratch even on my custom rifles.
Bob

I have to agree with Bob. Unless you are saving it for the next person, enjoy using it! After-all it does come with firing pins I assume. I can't think of anything that speaks of a well-lived life than a nice double rifle with a few marks on it. A plus for a little patina too. Enjoy @JustGina

Since no on else has asked. Can I have it?
(Rarely worked at 1st grade show and tell, but you have to tryl)
I like that. Sometimes it works. If you don’t ask, you’ll never know?

Mmmm......am sure there must be a space for Zambia somewhere in there.........
YES, Mike!! Definitely room for Zambia. AND...Uganda, Namibia, New Zealand, Argentina, Canada, Alaska, and many others! :)

Since no on else has asked. Can I have it?
(Rarely worked at 1st grade show and tell, but you have to tryl)
@freefall
Well...if I give you one, I would have to give one to the rest of the class :oops:

I forgot to update this with the details of my double rifle and what all JJ is doing to it.
He is:
Cutting the stock to my LOP
Installing a recoil reducer
Smoothing the action
Reducing the spring tension on the electors. The ejectors are so strong from the factory that they throw the brass about 15'. They reset on closing which makes it harder to close. By reducing the tension, it will be easier for me to close and I will not have to go digging for the brass in the bushes :E Laugh:
He is installing a QD mount for a RMR sight.

I do not have it back yet and still am really looking forward to getting it home!!

Congratulations!

That's a very nice rifle! Looking forward to hearing about your future adventures together!
Thank you!! :)

Thank you, Dave! I am looking forward to taking her hunting for sure! Very cool, your Kgunl! How is it working for you? How does the 20ga shoot?
Congrats on new double! I hope u and actionbob are setting nicely! Congrats on both!

I have wanted a double for quite some time. I have seen some really gorgeous ones but every one of them just had one flaw: They did not belong to me. I wanted a double that would be both effective on all DG and not too difficult to shoot. Briefly thought about a .375 in both the flanged and the .375 HH however, everyone I talked to was confident that I could handle a 450/400 NE being that I have a 404 Jeffrey. So, I zeroed in on looking for a 450/400. Seriously thought about a Heym, but they usually only have about 25% engraving and while there are some very nice ones, for me personally, I just found others more attractive. I considered looking for an old English double but all of those were in the 3.25” version and ultimately, I decided I wanted the 3”.

I went to visit JJ and drop my Jeffery off with him for a spa day and have a recoil reducer installed in the stock and the LOP reduced. He had a very nice Gibbs in 450/400 that was made in 1930 and I really liked it. It fit me pretty well also. But it was a 3.25”. By the way, he has dies for it if anyone is interested :) After visiting with JJ, I went to see George at Champlin to look around because he had some doubles that I was interested in, including two new Chapuis, both in 3”. JJ told me if I ended up purchasing one from George to drop it back off to him and he would get it all fitted for me. George went through all the reasons to have a double vs a bolt gun. He also told me some really awesome stories of his travels which was great! After a few hours of playing with guns, visiting, and swapping stories, I ended up leaving with my brand new Chapuis 450/400 3” NE Elan. It has 95% floral engraving with a cape buffalo engraving as well. There were two of them, but I quite fancied one over the other because I liked the wood on one of them a lot more than the other. I was also quite pleased with the regulation target that came with it. The regulation target I was most pleased with went with the one that I liked the most. Some of the added benefits of this rifle are that it has the fold over front night sight, and removable blocks in case I ever wanted to add a scope. It has a lifetime warranty with any service work done by JJ Perodeau. Winner-Winner!! After paperwork, check writing, and lots of hugs, I was back on the road to JJ’s. The new Chapuis had photos taken before I left it for its stay at the spa where it will get the full spa treatment by JJ. Once I get her home, I will have to see what her name shall be. So…here she is!
View attachment 421118 View attachment 421119
View attachment 421120 View attachment 421121
View attachment 421122 View attachment 421123 View attachment 421124
@ActionBob @Wheels @Bullthrower338 @Royal27 @Shootist43
Beautiful! I have the identical gun and caliber also bought from George in 2020 and love it!

Hi @Just Gina, how are you getting on with that beautiful double? How do you find the recoil?
@Kevin Peacocke
Hi Kevin!
Sorry for the late reply, been crazy lately!
So, I LOVE my beautiful double!! As far as the recoil, JJ fit it to me and did an action job on it and also, installed a mercury recoil reducer. Now, the recoil is less than my .404 Jeff was before he got ahold of that one too. Not bad at all, and shoots GREAT!! In my Jeff, I was shooting Hornady ammo clocking at 2300 fps. What I have shot in the double is Hornady at 2050 fps.

My wonderful husband (@ActionBob) took me to see JJ for both guns and they are both awesome!
I am so ready to go roll a buffalo with my double now! :)

Beautiful! I have the identical gun and caliber also bought from George in 2020 and love it!
TY! That is cool you have the identical! They are really wonderful guns! LOVE mine!! :)

I have wanted a double for quite some time. I have seen some really gorgeous ones but every one of them just had one flaw: They did not belong to me. I wanted a double that would be both effective on all DG and not too difficult to shoot. Briefly thought about a .375 in both the flanged and the .375 HH however, everyone I talked to was confident that I could handle a 450/400 NE being that I have a 404 Jeffrey. So, I zeroed in on looking for a 450/400. Seriously thought about a Heym, but they usually only have about 25% engraving and while there are some very nice ones, for me personally, I just found others more attractive. I considered looking for an old English double but all of those were in the 3.25” version and ultimately, I decided I wanted the 3”.

I went to visit JJ and drop my Jeffery off with him for a spa day and have a recoil reducer installed in the stock and the LOP reduced. He had a very nice Gibbs in 450/400 that was made in 1930 and I really liked it. It fit me pretty well also. But it was a 3.25”. By the way, he has dies for it if anyone is interested :) After visiting with JJ, I went to see George at Champlin to look around because he had some doubles that I was interested in, including two new Chapuis, both in 3”. JJ told me if I ended up purchasing one from George to drop it back off to him and he would get it all fitted for me. George went through all the reasons to have a double vs a bolt gun. He also told me some really awesome stories of his travels which was great! After a few hours of playing with guns, visiting, and swapping stories, I ended up leaving with my brand new Chapuis 450/400 3” NE Elan. It has 95% floral engraving with a cape buffalo engraving as well. There were two of them, but I quite fancied one over the other because I liked the wood on one of them a lot more than the other. I was also quite pleased with the regulation target that came with it. The regulation target I was most pleased with went with the one that I liked the most. Some of the added benefits of this rifle are that it has the fold over front night sight, and removable blocks in case I ever wanted to add a scope. It has a lifetime warranty with any service work done by JJ Perodeau. Winner-Winner!! After paperwork, check writing, and lots of hugs, I was back on the road to JJ’s. The new Chapuis had photos taken before I left it for its stay at the spa where it will get the full spa treatment by JJ. Once I get her home, I will have to see what her name shall be. So…here she is!
View attachment 421118 View attachment 421119
View attachment 421120 View attachment 421121
View attachment 421122 View attachment 421123 View attachment 421124
@ActionBob @Wheels @Bullthrower338 @Royal27 @Shootist43
Ma's here, wanted to see it .. she's thinking of a name?
This is Sasha, kitten.jpg, she took forever.

Alize
Marie
Antoinette
Leslie Caron
Brigitte Bardot "luv it"
Bernadette
Camille
Dominique
Ève
Gabrielle
Jacqueline

Last edited:
@Kevin Peacocke
Hi Kevin!
So, I LOVE my beautiful double!! As far as the recoil, JJ fit it to me and did an action job on it and also, installed a mercury recoil reducer. Now, the recoil is less than my .404 Jeff was before he got ahold of that one too. Not bad at all, and shoots GREAT!! In my Jeff, I was shooting Hornady ammo clocking at 2300 fps. What I have shot in the double is Hornady at 2050 fps.

My wonderful husband (@ActionBob) took me to see JJ for both guns and they are both awesome!
Hi Gina, I am glad to hear it. I love my double too, I feel for folks who dont have one!

@Kevin Peacocke
Hi Kevin!

I think Bob has bitten off more than he can chew... :A Thumbs Up: :A Banana:....go Gina :D Beers:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasovWoogy

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg