My 404 shoots like a dream, I'm happy

Ok, I loaded up some rounds for my 416 Rigby as well, 92 Gr of H4350, 400 Gr Hornady Interbond and Federal Large Rifle Magnum primers. After adjusting the scope the rifle fired overlapping holes at 50 yds. The minimum charge of H4350 was 89 Gr. the max was 94 Gr. I was guessing that the 92 Gr. load would give me 2400 FPS. I am very pleased that the Rigby shot my handloads as well as it did. the main difference in the group size in my opinion was due to the fact that the Rigby has a scope on it.

Sorry guys I errored in the amount of H4350 powder in my 404 Jeffery load. The correct quantity is 84 Gr. Not 83 Gr.as previously stated. Hopefully that didn't cause you guys any inconvenience.

Great shooting, nice rifle and the most sensible caliber you can choose for Africa's big game.

Great stuff all round.

Perhaps I'm wrong but I thought the general consensus was lead sleds and scopes combined was a bad idea. I also like the practical accuracy theory. Wonderful caliber and load. Cheers

Lead sleds work great with rifles and scopes, as long as you don't overload with too much weight. I use 25 lbs and never had a stock break or a scope malfunction. The purpose of the lead sled is for load development, not practice for the shooter. The lead sled takes the shooter out of the variable equation. Once you develop the perfect load, then go practice. If the group is good, credit the shooter. If the group is bad, then the shooter needs more practice, but it isn't the ammo that is the problem.

Very pleasing to see another 404 respond to that 84 GN H4350 load. It has been succesfull in a number of rifles to date and while many more bullets will end up in paper than meat it is gratifying to know that when meat, horn, bone or claw is the desired result of a shot then the accuracy and velcity of the 400gn bullet is going to get the job done in very fine fashion indeed.

I had real good luck with vv 550 fed 215 and Barnes 400gr TSX
2300fps group size .755”
Woodleigh 450 gr 83gr of h4350 rem9.5 for 2050fps 5rounds in a cluster .875”
Shot off sticks at 100meters.
Bbl length 24” rifle weighs 10.5lbs with full mag and scope

Lead sleds work great with rifles and scopes, as long as you don't overload with too much weight. I use 25 lbs and never had a stock break or a scope malfunction. The purpose of the lead sled is for load development, not practice for the shooter. The lead sled takes the shooter out of the variable equation. Once you develop the perfect load, then go practice. If the group is good, credit the shooter. If the group is bad, then the shooter needs more practice, but it isn't the ammo that is the problem.
I bought a stock from Accurate Innovations a few years ago and at the time he voided his warranty for using a lead sled. Guessing one too many customers overloaded the sled and all the energy went into the rifle stock. Something has to give.

What you said makes sense. Thanks.

Perhaps I'm wrong but I thought the general consensus was lead sleds and scopes combined was a bad idea. I also like the practical accuracy theory. Wonderful caliber and load. Cheers
Echoing 375 Ruger Fans sentiments. The problem is that shooters do not use the Lead Sled correctly. The majority of people whom I come across that use them insist on anchoring it to the bench. This is incorrect. It is designed to have some movement to help absorb some of the recoil. If it is anchored and cannot move guess where the recoil/torque gets absorbed, the tang/pistol grip area of the stock or the scope. I talked to a customer service rep at Battenfeld Technologies at length about the LeadSled when I was considering buying one (because of rumours like cracked stocks, scope issues, etc). What I have said in the above explanation is what he said to me. There should be no more than 100lbs on the Sled when shooting heavy recoiling rifles. I have 75lbs (3x 25lb bags of shot) on mine when I shoot my 450 Rigby. The Sled still moves back 6 inches!
Hope this helps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg