Muzzle break or no?

You need some midol and a beer! When my wife is acting childish I walk away, guess I'll move on to another
thread. I have really enjoyed AH and all the helpful people but some @$#%#$@!$%&#$'s just don't get it!
Something drives all of us a little crazy. I can usually manage an honest spelling mistake, but some of the grammar makes me want to slam my forehead through the monitor. No doubt the result of an English minor and a lot of writing in both of my careers. I normally, usually, most of the time catch myself before lashing out with a "what do you believe you are trying to say?!?" If I can figure it out, then it doesn't matter. What really, really bugs me is when someone asks for an informed opinion and then doesn't like the answer. I mean, if they have it all figured out, why ask? I actually know the answer to that without Dr. Brickburn weighing in - many times it isn't really a question - it is a request for affirmation. To the credit of everyone here, we all tend to try and be polite. Go spend a few minutes on the site that shall not be named and it is a relief to return here.

Something drives all of us a little crazy. I can usually manage an honest spelling mistake, but some of the grammar makes me want to slam my forehead through the monitor. No doubt the result of an English minor and a lot of writing in both of my careers. I normally, usually, most of the time catch myself before lashing out with a "what do you believe you are trying to say?!?" If I can figure it out, then it doesn't matter. What really, really bugs me is when someone asks for an informed opinion and then doesn't like the answer. I mean, if they have it all figured out, why ask? I actually know the answer to that without Dr. Brickburn weighing in - many times it isn't really a question - it is a request for affirmation. To the credit of everyone here, we all tend to try and be polite. Go spend a few minutes on the site that shall not be named and it is a relief to return here.

I get it, I just enjoy reading post's and offering very modest advise when I can. I have gained a hundred
times more knowledge than I have imparted,lol. It just gripes my ass when somebody cant let something
go and wants to have a pissing contest. I'm not on here for that,I like the enjoyment,not sparring over who knows more
or who types better,lol. Good evening gentlemen.:D Beers:

I get it, I just enjoy reading post's and offering very modest advise when I can. I have gained a hundred
times more knowledge than I have imparted,lol. It just gripes my ass when somebody cant let something
go and wants to have a pissing contest. I'm not on here for that,I like the enjoyment,not sparring over who knows more
or who types better,lol. Good evening gentlemen.:D Beers:
You offer "advice" not "advise". One is a noun and the other is a verb. ;)

Well I had my beer already and don't use the other. But my oh my, some folks do get their knickers in a twist without much provocation. Perhaps you could benefit from the Midol,:D:eek::eek::ROFLMAO: lol. I guess I just don't get what it is about the word brake that seems to escape so many otherwise smart people. ;);):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'm not impressed when people online correct other people's work. It is the ultimate open book test.

I can name the US states in alphabetical order, if that is of any interest to anyone.

I'm not impressed when people online correct other people's work. It is the ultimate open book test.

I can name the US states in alphabetical order, if that is of any interest to anyone.
Its not...

Reactions: IvW
I just blame it on the smart phone. :A Blink:

Glad to see you still have your sense of humor!:D

My honest prediction, either way? If you have this rifle built (with or without the brake), you will shoot it once, maybe twice, then it will stay in the safe only to come out after a few beers when you have some of your buddies over, as a conversation piece. .577 is simply not a rifle you take out for "plinking" (seriously?), if nothing else based on the cost of ammunition--and that also applies to handloading. Put a brake on it, and it may be harder to sell once you get bored with it. Traditionalists (as I presume most Africa-bound hunters to be) hate muzzle brakes.

If you want something badass that still gives you a whiff of Africa, a .450/400 3" has still plenty of romance, while a .416 Rigby can actually start being a useful all-around North American big-game hunting cartridge, if a .375 H&H is too humdrum for you.

I absolutely hate muzzle brakes, but I thread the end of the barrels and throw a can on them.

End of that problem.

I'd hunt brownies on Kamchatka with Pappabear any day of the week. No man who carries a shoulder cannon like that is a runner.

Thumbs up!

Since you asked for our opinion: if you need a break to shoot it, buy a rifle with less recoil. The exception, IMHO, is if you hunt by yourself, solo, all the time. If that is the case, blow your ears out to your heart's content. Otherwise, get a .375.

It is simply rude to shoot a break with a guide or PH because you cannot handle the recoil. Why should their lifelong hearing suffer? I guarantee they do not have a break, and they shoot big guns all the time.

As a person with messed up hearing at 34 years old, I suggest no break, and ear protection when possible.

Nothing worse than being at the range and the dude in the next lane is shooting with a muzzle brake. Get a smaller caliber or put a heavy can on it, the effect will be the same but WAAAAAAAY quieter....

A break is a great device ..Wife and I both like the light recoil it produces..More and more folks are using them to make shooting any rifle more pleasant...Somebody at the range doesn't like them then ask why they aren't wearing hearing protection at the range 'cause all guns are loud..Free country ,use what you like ,not what somebody else tells you you they like....Like another said,one small plug in exposed ear does the trick..

I've never used a brake myself, hence the question in the original post, though i have used a ported barrel once. But pestering other shooters isnt really an issue i worry about too often due to the fact that i generally go to a range far enough out of the way that i am usually the only person there. And even when i go to the range where others are, i tend to try getting as far away from other people as possible due to muzzle brakes on their weapons and i dont trust most people at public ranges

So you avoid people at the range who have muzzle brakes, but now you want to become one?

Like "Ack" said a muzzle brake is a wonderful device and he's right. It is wonderful for the person shooting the rifle who otherwise could in no way ever take the recoil. Unfortunately it deafens everyone else in the immediate area, kicks up a dust storm and if used at a range will blow stuff off other people's benches. And where as I wear hearing protection at the range, I do not while hunting.

Put a can on the end of the barrel then everyone wins.

Thumbs up.

A break is a great device ..Wife and I both like the light recoil it produces..More and more folks are using them to make shooting any rifle more pleasant...Somebody at the range doesn't like them then ask why they aren't wearing hearing protection at the range 'cause all guns are loud..Free country ,use what you like ,not what somebody else tells you you they like....Like another said,one small plug in exposed ear does the trick..

Well I do wear hearing protection at the range, who doesn't? Guns are loud enough, brakes make them dangerously loud. The brakes are obnoxious, not just because of how loud they but also the blast that is produced. If I see someone shooting with a brake I won't setup near them. If they setup next to me I will politely ask them to move.

Get a suppressor if you want to make a rifle more pleasant to shot.

Takes more than hearing protection to mitigate the effects of a loud brake! Make no mistake- the muzzle blast and the odd double impulse recoil can cause a shooter to develop a flinch. And why is it a "right" to impose such on others?? I really feel for the trackers and PHs and guides, etc. who have to politely put up with it during the normal cause of their work. Being exposed to it will damage the hearing. Also, I don't give a rat's rear if someone wants to develop the flinches or damage their own hearing because of their own brake. But no way is it a "right" for a shooter to impose those effects on others!

Last edited:
Though I haven't been in a bar in 20 years When I did I don't believe that a week ever went by that I didn't buy a firearm in one.

I picked up a 700 bdl in 350 mag that looked brand new for peanuts. And it even had a beautiful brake on it.

I thread a scope on it and got a box of ammo went to the range. With one shot I felt that someone shot me in both ears with a nail gun. Oit was ok when I took the brake off.

But the absolute worst was a Ruger single action in 30 carbine. It is the loudest most eat splitting combination ever fired yet has no compansator

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg