Muzzle break --- Brake, Broke, Broken, Busted

The other reason for taking the suppressor with you is that: with modern CNC cutting instead of using a tap, there is no way of knowing what kind of thread is on the suppressor. There is an Airgun maker in a Southern U.S. state, possibly Texas, who once worked for Theoben in England. He makes high end PCP rifles and makes a point of advertising the use of taps and dies by him and his staff because that ensures quality and consistency. Given the pressures his air rifles can be run at, any sensible person would want that attention to quality. The same applies when attaching a suppressor to a centrefire hunting rifle which obviously operates at significantly higher pressures.
Taps and dies are not precision cutting tools. CNC cut threads, either internal or external, can be dead nuts cut to any classification. I would not want a rifle with muzzle threads that were cut with a die nor a brake or silencer with a tap. Same goes for the breech end.
 
Taps and dies are not precision cutting tools. CNC cut threads, either internal or external, can be dead nuts cut to any classification. I would not want a rifle with muzzle threads that were cut with a die nor a brake or silencer with a tap. Same goes for the breech end.
I suggest that you take a few deep breaths and (with all due respect) actually read what I typed.

My point being, that: quality control has a tendency to be all over the place with CNC. I am well aware that lathe and multifunction CNC cutting is the way to go for certain work BUT gunsmiths want to have the suppressor to hand so that they can check the threads themselves.

Anyone who has been working with tools and using machined threads over the last forty to fifty years will know that there has been an overall quality decline in some production, since digital CNC became mainstream. You still have to set up, test and check production on a regular basis. The threads and simple i.e., uncomplicated mating surfaces, on some moulded plastic components have been all over the place with items made in the last decade or so (and the injection dies are supposed to have been made by tool makers). Yes, I know that so-called ‘cooling times’ can be a factor but that only goes so far in terms of quality issues. Idleness will always sabotage technology improvements.

Have a good week and festive break.
 
Last edited:
What can be learnt from this topic is following:
When you have muzzle break, remove it evrey time after shooting, and clean the threads.
When you have a threaded cap on top of barrel, remove it every time after shooting, and clean the threads.
When you have a supressor on the barrel, remove it every time after shooting, and clean the threads.

When you have removable chokes, on shotgun, same as above.
Otherwise, the question as this may arise. Now, only solution is: to take it to gunsmith.
Wait!?! What?!? You're supposed to clean shotguns?! WTH!!

shotgun watching.jpg
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,291
Messages
1,571,848
Members
169,439
Latest member
skagberretu1984
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top