Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
Hunted
RSA,Mozambique,Zim,USA,Asia
A question I have been pondering as I am trying to decide on having a new double build. What would you have added or upgraded on a double if you guys where to have one build. For me I am thinking must haves include the following

Ariticulated front trigger
Long tang and trigger guard
Two flip up sights
Ejectors

Possibles upgraded wood to grade 4
Case colored reciever
Scope mount for hologram sight
Flip up night bead front sight
Opinions please for the perfect double and please leave manufacturer names out I want to know what you would like in a double not the brand name of one.this will be a DG rifle in something from 450-400 to 500 nitro

24 inch barrels, articulated front trigger (painfull past experience with fixed front trigger), 1 shallow v sight with no flip ups, best wood i could afford, ejectors, flip night sight, like both colour case hardened and plain receiver so spur of the moment with that. :beer:

Mark, when I ordered my double through V.C I had some basic parameters that I wanted the firearm to conform to.
These parameters were driven mainly by the conditions that I hunt in and the terrain and climate that the rifle will be exposed to.

I went for;
# max overall finish weight at 10.5lbs (have since reduced this to 9 3/4lbs by removing the lead ballast from the butt stock) for portability
# short barrels (ballanced to the rest of the gun)
# articulated front trigger (almost a "must" on anything bigger than a 450/400)
# Cerakote/gunkote matt finish to the barrels (reduce glare and MUCH more durable than blueing when operating in the Tropics)
# CCH action finsh (reduced glare in the Tropics)
# slign "eye" to the barrels and gunstock (for sling use)
# ejectors (load-em up quick)
# slight palm swell in pistol grip to assist with constant "cant" angle when shooting
# stippling finish to top rib and front sight ramp to reduce glare
# rear shallow V sight angled backwards to reduce glare

As Spike has shown above, I also chose to minimise confusion by opting to only have one rear sight blade.

Also, you can see from my posting that most, if not all, of my requirements where based on function as oposed to asthetics, but that's just me.

I'm EXTREMELY happy with my V.C .500 double and now that it has gone on a successful diet and shed some excessive weight I am looking forward to unleashing it on some bovines in Arnehmland this coming hunting season.

Ejectors
upgraded wood
CC reciever
Scope mount and or hologram sight up to 470. Not 500

Thanks spike, Paul and mike this will most likely be a upgrade to my current 470 nitro. And only my third double every so I want to get it right I have learned some things from my last two that i would like. Thanks Paul I would have never thought to have the top rib stimpled for glare. I was opting for the cc reciever for that option And I do love the ejectors on my current double and will keep with them on the next one. I do appreciate the input for you guys that have much more experience with double than I do.

We'll the deal is almost done just need to sell my Chapuis and it is set. I have decided to go with a Heym. PH two model. With the following larger new frame size in 470 nitro. Long tang and trigger guard. Case colored reciever. Stippling on top rib and front sight ramp. One flip up sight and flip up night sight on front bead. Upgraded wood. Ejectors. Slight palm swell. Max weight at 11lbs

We'll the deal is almost done just need to sell my Chapuis and it is set. I have decided to go with a Heym. PH two model. With the following larger new frame size in 470 nitro. Long tang and trigger guard. Case colored reciever. Stippling on top rib and front sight ramp. One flip up sight and flip up night sight on front bead. Upgraded wood. Ejectors. Slight palm swell. Max weight at 11lbs

Congrats on your purchase. Now the waiting begins !!

Stock fit is everything. I hope they take measurements and fit you up.
Ejectors are a wonderful thing to have.
Balance is important in a rifle shot off hand.
10.5 lbs is a nice weight not so heavy to carry "for miles" but heavy enough to control even in a .500.
I like the NECG sites wide v with a fiber optic front bead.
Nice wood is always a plus so are side locks and engraving but they wont make it shoot any better.

Heym is an excellent choice !

The heym just felt the best to me the way it balenced and it already had most of the features I was looking for. I did get measured and fit for it. Now the long wait begins. I still have a month to decide if I want to add or change anything. Chris at heym has been great with answering questions. I did like the VC guns as we'll but it felt very similar to my Chapuis

Uintaelkhunter,

Excellent question.

For my taste, it would be as follows:

Stocked to fit me.
Better than average English walnut / oval cheek piece.
Semi-pistol grip ("Prince of Wales grip").
Steel grip cap.
Extended tang (over the comb).
26" ejector barrels.
One fixed, wide express style rear sight / large white bead front sight (does NOT need to be the flip-up type).
Two triggers, front articulated.
Sparse to moderate engraving.

Any classic caliber within the range you mentioned would be fine with me but, I like the .450/400-3", @ 9 Lb, the original .450 Nitro 3 & 1/4" @ 10 Lb and the .500 Nitro 3" @ 11 Lb.

I've owned 5 double rifles but sadly, none of them had all of those features, in fact a couple of them had hardly any of those features.

Regards,
Velo Dog.

Stock fit and balance is the most important by far.
Around 10 lbs +/- one 1 lbs.
20-22" barrels.
Prince of Wales grip.
I prefer a single trigger, but for a DG gun I want double triggers with a ariticulated front trigger.
I want a flip up ghost ring sight and a quick attach mount for a red dot or scope sight.
Ejektors.
I would build it in .500 NE

I couldn't care less about nice walnut and engraving and would not spend money on that.

(Velo Dog here again)

PS:

I meant to say:
"I have owned FOUR double rifles" (blah, blah, blah, etc., etc.)
Sorry for the typo.

Stay on that front sight.
Velo Dog.

Uintaelkhunter,

Your decision to order a Heym is an excellent one.

My most pleasing to the eye and to handle double rifle so far is, a 1980s vintage Heym 88B, in .458 Winchester.

I didn't buy it for the cartridge but for the superb balance (handles like a decent grouse/quail gun).

It only weighs about 9.9 pounds empty so, will be a joy to carry.

Perhaps recoil will be stout but I have fired both a .500 Nitro 3" with full house 570 gr bullet @ 2100+ fps as well as a .600 Nitro with 900 gr bullet @ 1900+ fps and I shed no tears over either experience (both in the same afternoon).

Furthermore, I actually hit what I was shooting at with those big rifles.

Besides, I have a .458 Lott (admittedly 11 Lb empty) and so far I have not perished from its recoil.

My Heym .458 has 25.5" barrels (first owner must've ordered it in that oddball length), and one standing/three folding blades.

It is made with a small switch under the forearm, to shut off the ejectors if I want to (not sure why I would want to).

It has outstanding walnut and I mean outstanding.

The forearm is splinter, unlike any other Heym I have seen (slimmer), much to my liking (have no idea why beavertail forearms were invented).

It has only sparse scroll engraving here and there, also much to my liking.

The trigger guard extends to the steel grip cap and the pistol grip is slim and very slow, no palm swells or other distractions for my taste.

I know the .458 is a bum cartridge for a double rifle (high chamber pressure) but, I bought it a few weeks ago for only $12,500. and it appears almost like new, still a tad stiff to open.

Haven't fired it yet and if it gives me any fits, I plan to have Heym or Champlin, rechamber it, re-regulate it if need be to .450 NE.

I know then that I would have the same $ into it as if I had bought a used 88B in .450 in the first place and also that, my bank account will be no better or no worse off, if the re-work is needed.

But if it functions well as a .458, I plan to leave it and I will be two to four grand ahead, (not counting the upper grade of walnut on this thing).

Not to mention finding ammo in a pinch.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

I like the See through sights with the Hi Vis front, that Kriegoff is offering, that is what made me decide to go with a German Gun...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marplot

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois