Muskox and Moose hunt pictures

Muskox man

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Here are some pics of my recent muskox and moose hunts here in alaska. I hunted the muskox near Wales alaska and my moose hunt was in the Nelchina area near Eureka alaska.

IMG_1551.jpg
IMG_1555.jpg
IMG_3135.jpg
IMG_3140.jpg
IMG_1556.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice animals! anymore pictures of that unimog hahaha looks like a good one

Great pictures! Looks like you folks had a good time!

We had a great time. I really enjoy that my wife and son enjoy this almost as much as me. The unimog is my brothers and I have the built up toyota. We are about 60 miles in the interior. It is only 60 miles in but took about 14 hrs to cover it. There are few people that can travel that far in. To many deep river crossings for 4wheelers and side by sides.

I'd be tickled to just see a muskox someday. Thanks for sharing.

Congratulations. thanks for sharing your hunt.

Congrats. Fine animals, I'd love to hunt both of them some day.

impressive pictures.
Can you tell us a little over the hunt ,the distances and your caliber and how many days you need for such trips ?
What dou you guess is the liveweight from your moose and the ox ?
I saw that you are carrying a revolver,did you ever used it ? Or is it more a psychologic question to take one to feel save ?
To see that you are driving with an old Mercedes Unimog in Alaska its great and bring back some memories to me.
Does it always work?
Greetings from Germany
Foxi

You bet Foxi. The muskox hunt started near Wales AK . It was August 1 (opening day). The muskox were in the open tundra about three miles from camp. I had a Polaris ranger 6x6 as my transport. There was no cover as you could tell by the pictures so trying the stealth approach was not an option. Luckily for me that
Muskox are about as sharp as a 25 cent cold chisel. I walked in the open and let myself be seen. I kept about a 150 meter barrier from the heard so as not to alarm them. They were alerted but did not flee. I just sat down and waited. It took them about 30 minutes to calm down and they resumed grazing. When I finally chose my animal I waited for it to separate itself from the heard for a clean shot. After a dose of lead from my Remington 700 chambered in 375HH it was all over.
As for the moose hunt we,(my wife , 13year old son, and my brother

muskox and moose, what a great sounding hunt! thanks for sharring your pictures.

-matt

Sorry, I fat fingered the old keyboard. As for the moose hunt. We,(my wife , 13 year old son, and my brother trekked into the Nelchina public use area about 100 miles or so from Anchorage AK. We then used our 4x4's(what we call moose buggies) to trek about 60+ miles into the bush. We established our base camp and would hunt early morning, then relax for several hours then hunt the late afternoon until dark. We planned on hunting 10 days but we're able to tag out in 7. We saw several nice moose, but because this area requires 50" or bigger, or at least 4 brow tines on one side. We needed to make sure it was a legal moose. On day 5 we had a good frost which started the rut. I was able to call in several Bulls but no shooters. We enjoyed calling them in and watching them. This went on till day 7 when I was able to call in a 4 brow tine bull to within 5 meters. When I was sure he was legal I let him have it with my wife's 243 savage. He ran about 30 meters and went down in a swamp which we ended up winching him out of using that 1973 unimog. So all in all a very successful hunting season for me and my family. The freezers are full and the hides and antlers are at the taxidermist.

To answer your questions Foxi.
The moose live weight estimated at around 1100lbs and the muskox was around 650lbs. The mog ran great and is a very capable machine. As for the revolver, I always pack one when in the bush. We did have a grizzly come within 20 meters to camp eating the last of the blueberries for the year. I could have taken him but instead just enjoyed watching him with my family. He looked to be about a 7' bear, (a little to small for me to want to shoot him.)

Nice hunt, does muskox eat well?

thanks for putting the words with them great pictures ,mate
you and the family had some fun

Many thanks,that you bring us your adventures nearer.
It makes joy to read you and see the pictures.
Nearly all hunters in my country are dreaming from Alaska.
We grew up in school with Jack Londons "Call of the wild"
And I can smell the Muskox steak in your pan:D Beers:
Foxi

Great animals. Wmh.(y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross