Neil P

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
New Zealand Australia New Caledonia Namibia Zambia Alaska Kazakhstan Mozambique
If you’re just catching up with my report hunting with Simon Leach of Traditional Moz Safaris then probably pay to read the prelude hunt done in Zambia last year which led me to be in Mozambique this year. (See MOZAMBIQUE: Heading To Mozambique with Simon Leach From Traditional Mozambique Safaris article (https://www.africahunting.com/threa...ch-from-traditional-mozambique-safaris.40344/)

For some reason I had been receiving the “Deals & Offers” list from AH and always checked out the Sable hunts available so when I saw a hot deal from Traditional Moz Safaris I immediately began to make enquires and booked a hunt with Simon at fairly short notice.

I was still scarred from my encounter with a Sable bull in Zambia last year and was more determined than ever to get one as they are truly one of the great African game animals even if only in my eyes.

From Auckland New Zealand I met Simon in Joberg after 17 hours in the air via Sydney. I lent him a couple of hankies as he was still crying after the NZ All Blacks had given the Springboks their biggest defeat ever, a 57-0 thumping. Simon reckoned every time rugby was mentioned in camp then an inch was being deducted off my 45 inch Sable he was promising. ( probably why it was only 20 inches long – just kidding)

Anyway we travelled together to Nampula which is about 2.5 hour flight and met up with his PH – Christiaan Van Heerden, a tall gangly 19 year old red headed lad with a fine future ahead in the guiding business. With him was Malawi, the skinner and also interpreter as he could also speak English as well as the native Portuguese. Spent a half hour sorting out a visa then drove some 6.5 hours to camp, which is up near Niassa, two thirds being on tarmac before hitting the dirt road. It was dark long before we arrived and we got a flat tyre half a kilometre short of camp. Simon and I walked the last bit in the bright light of a full moon. I was again in Africaaa.

Thurs Oct 5th 2017 – Up at 6am. Bit of a late start as I was pretty tired having got to bed at 1am and 2 days travel to get there. First off after a quick breakfast was a shot through Simons 30-06. Inch low at 70 metres was good enough so onto the bakkie with Christiaan driving and trackers Tumi, Sergio and Raymond on the back with me and Simon.

A few corners from camp a large non trophy warthog boar was encountered. The morning drive to give me a feel for the place produced a few duiker, baboon troupes, a fleeting glimpse of a bushbuck ewe and a couple young sable bulls. Yes it was a full moon. The avo hunt which always began at 3pm (too hot til then) produced 3 kudu cows, more duiker and baboons. Quite a few Eland tracks seen but not the makers. Then just before dark a big Sable bull and cow though I can’t say I saw the bull amongst the trees. We off the bakkie and cut along parallel but in the failing light bounced out 2 young Sable bulls which bolted and stuffed up our chance.

Fri 6th – Getting serious now with roll call at 4.30 and away at 5am which was daylight. More duiker and baboons then a herd of Sable which we attempted a stalk on but got busted. Then a couple of medium bulls were seen but not big enough. A big Warthog got Simon all excited but by the time I worked out maybe I should be shooting it he was getting outa Dodge. If he’d stopped either side of the bush he took refuge behind then I’d of given him one helluva fright or killed him. Further on a female with big tusks got us all excited again. I tell you those Warthogs are big suckers up there.

A breakfast at around 11am each day with a couple celebratory beers (for the All Blacks win, Simon drank Lemonade – Yeah nah) then it was a bit of a nap thru the heat til 3am when we’d head out again. This day Christiaan and I went and put a couple cameras on a waterhole returning about 1 pm.

On the avo hunt we saw a couple groups of Sable. The first had a big female which looked like a bull, all dark but not the big horns we were looking for. The second group bolted when we tried to stalk in on them. I was quickly learning these Sable have got their wits about them and this (getting a big bull) was not going to be easy.

Sat 7th – Saw 2 young kudu bulls near camp then a Reedbuck ewe. Later another couple Reedbuck ewes. Two pairs of young Sable bulls topped off the morning with the by now usual duiker and baboon sightings. We took some time to dig out a waterhole so animals could get water as it was getting mighty dry out there.

On the avo hunt we sprung a Warthog near camp and saw a group of about 9 Sable with no bull in attendance. Another group of Sable in the last light didn’t give us enough time to stalk before dark so we left them undisturbed. Simon spotted a reasonable bull amongst the herd. Back to camp we went but called up the hill to get phone coverage. Big night as the All Blacks were playing the Boks again, this time in South Africa. Score at half time was AB’s 8 Boks 3 final score will have to wait until tomorrow.

Sun 8th – Away at 5 am but not much about, the moon still very bright overhead so animals not moving much during the day. Saw a young kudu bull, more duiker, couple reedbuck ewes and a warthog. No sable this morn. Checked cameras but just baboons on them. Theres a lot of places animals can get water there so not a lot of use waiting at the agua.

Avo we went to check out a waterhole on a big plain where there was a lot of sable sign. We saw a reedbuck ewe there and a female warthog with young. The boys dug down so the hole filled with water with a cunning plan to return........
IMG_0202.JPG
IMG_4615.JPG
IMG_4689.JPG
IMG_4695.JPG

Keep it coming!

Edge

Looking forward to more!

I like this story!

Cool stuff Neil !
This is the hunt I want on my next visit to Africa
With a wee giant record breaking Eland thrown in of course .
Looking forward to see how you got on ?

Cool stuff Neil !
This is the hunt I want on my next visit to Africa
With a wee giant record breaking Eland thrown in of course .
Looking forward to see how you got on ?

@gillettehunter, that's a fact, free range sable are completely different from high fenced. You never know what you going to bump into.... The bulls I took with @buffybr and @flatwater bill last year, I had never seen before.

@Neil P for small island people, not bad at rugby :)

Free range Sable. Yes please.

Keep it coming !

Simon and lemonade. That was funny.... :E Lol:

Lemonade..... Just add beer!!! :)

Hi fellow AH members!
I am the PH -actually the appie learning to become a real PH- with Mr Leach at TMS. During this past year I have learnt that hunting truly wild sable requires a special skill set. They are illusive, cunning and it seems as if the hunting gods always back them. Just when you think you have figured out their patterns and movements they tend to throw a curve ball at you. But this is what makes hunting them such an incredible experience.

Our hunting area is vast wilderness ...it is wild..and bumping into elephants while going for a stroll towards Signal Hill is very possible...ask me! I once had to take a detour back to camp as a herd of elephant stood between the vehicle and myself. I suppose they had a good laugh at this youngster trying to evade them...had to return late that night to retrieve the vehicle.

If there are any members on this site that would like to experience the thrill of a real hunt, taking... and at times dodging everything Africa throws at you this is the place to be!

Safe hunting!

PS: And when SA manages to thump NZ at rugby again...I will go and visit a certain Mr Neil!

@Christiaan VH, doesn't look like you ever going to make it to New Zealand if you relying on rugby victory.

Mon 9th – Getting damned serious now, up at 3.30am ( I think punishment for another All Black drubbing of the Boks by 25 - 24) and away at 4 am so we could get to Sable Rd at daylight around 4.50. A herd of about 40 Sable were encountered immediately but unfortunately Christiaans pathetic attempt at knot tying was evident because the rope holding the 45 inch bull had come undone and he’d escaped. Simon took him aside and gave him a damn good thrashing and then spent a good half hour showing him how to tie knots that don’t come undone!!

Next we saw a group of half a dozen Sable with an average bull in attendance but no chance for a shot. Then another nice Warthog with a couple mates which we went after. Damn near had him too but some Kudu took fright and scared the living bjezus out of the Wartys who bolted. Scared of their own shadows are Warthogs. We crossed some fresh elephant tracks while pursuing the Wartys. Never saw an elephant but plenty sign from earlier on. Not enough water there now. On way back to camp we saw a Kudu cow and yearling then soon after 2 Kudu bulls. One was a very good one which Simon suggested I should shoot but he wasn’t hanging round either. I shot a nice Kudu in Namibia about 10 years ago so was dithering a bit. A nice deep curler would probably have done the trick. More warthogs topped off the morning.

In the avo we saw a group of 5 kudu cows then another pair and then a single bull of about 40 inches. What a day for Kudu!! Don’t think we even saw another one after that. As we drove up Bushpig Rd Simon got excited about something he’d seen and as we sped up to clear some cover this rather large fiercesome looking Warthog ran up towards us and stopped at about 50 metres. I was sort of getting ready to shoot and waiting for the call which I got but Warty had already decided it was going to be much better dining elsewhere and hightailed it. Fortunately 220 grain projectiles travel faster than Warthogs and down he went in a screaming heap. Yay, we’re on the board. Everyone was happy, not least the trackers, a good feed of meat was coming their way. Best day so far for animals with the moon starting to wane now.

Our chef Baptiste cooked all our meals on hot coals and always produced something delicious. His Warthog roast was excellent and crumbed strips
IMG_4714.JPG
IMG_4780.JPG
with a beer simply devine.

Tues 10th – 4.30am start (punishment ended) but a poor morning. Did see another nice warthog and a herd of sable that bolted straight away even though we were a good couple hundred metres away. Christiaan went to local town to get more provisions (beer).

The avo saw us at the plain checking the water. The hole had good water and fresh sable sign was evident. We’d be there first thing in morning. We saw 2 young sable bulls for evening and apart from duiker not much else.

Wed 11th – Straight to the plain where a dozen sable were already standing around the anthill we’d cleared the leaves off so we could stand without making a noise. They bolted but no bull. We hung around for half hour but the damage was done and the wind wasn’t helping either. As we started to leave a reasonable sable bull came running past which Christiaan had disturbed on his return to get the bakkie. Could of shot that one but after something bigger I thought. Back driving we saw 4 Reedbuck with a nice Ram in attendance but probably 300 metres away. Should have had a shot but with the heavy bullets would probably have gone low. Saw a big herd of about 40 sable but again no bull. Simon had a slight furrow across his forehead now. Where the hell are the big bulls? Christiaan!! What did I tell you about bloody knots......

The avo we saw Eland sign but no Eland, a couple sable, duiker and a gennet cat in the light

Thurs 12th – Again we went to the plain and spent a couple hours there but no sable showed up. Saw the resident reedbuck ewe and another on way back to camp.

Avo we took a drive to the river which still had pools of water but no sable sign. There was lightning and thunder as we returned and a heavy downpour saw us drenched on the back of the bakkie. We headed for camp half hour before dark absolutely soaked.
IMG_0223.JPG
some nice coloured boids over there
IMG_0173.JPG

If you’re just catching up with my report hunting with Simon Leach of Traditional Moz Safaris then probably pay to read the prelude hunt done in Zambia last year which led me to be in Mozambique this year. (See MOZAMBIQUE: Heading To Mozambique with Simon Leach From Traditional Mozambique Safaris article (https://www.africahunting.com/threa...ch-from-traditional-mozambique-safaris.40344/)

For some reason I had been receiving the “Deals & Offers” list from AH and always checked out the Sable hunts available so when I saw a hot deal from Traditional Moz Safaris I immediately began to make enquires and booked a hunt with Simon at fairly short notice.

I was still scarred from my encounter with a Sable bull in Zambia last year and was more determined than ever to get one as they are truly one of the great African game animals even if only in my eyes.

From Auckland New Zealand I met Simon in Joberg after 17 hours in the air via Sydney. I lent him a couple of hankies as he was still crying after the NZ All Blacks had given the Springboks their biggest defeat ever, a 57-0 thumping. Simon reckoned every time rugby was mentioned in camp then an inch was being deducted off my 45 inch Sable he was promising. ( probably why it was only 20 inches long – just kidding)

Anyway we travelled together to Nampula which is about 2.5 hour flight and met up with his PH – Christiaan Van Heerden, a tall gangly 19 year old red headed lad with a fine future ahead in the guiding business. With him was Malawi, the skinner and also interpreter as he could also speak English as well as the native Portuguese. Spent a half hour sorting out a visa then drove some 6.5 hours to camp, which is up near Niassa, two thirds being on tarmac before hitting the dirt road. It was dark long before we arrived and we got a flat tyre half a kilometre short of camp. Simon and I walked the last bit in the bright light of a full moon. I was again in Africaaa.

Thurs Oct 5th 2017 – Up at 6am. Bit of a late start as I was pretty tired having got to bed at 1am and 2 days travel to get there. First off after a quick breakfast was a shot through Simons 30-06. Inch low at 70 metres was good enough so onto the bakkie with Christiaan driving and trackers Tumi, Sergio and Raymond on the back with me and Simon.

A few corners from camp a large non trophy warthog boar was encountered. The morning drive to give me a feel for the place produced a few duiker, baboon troupes, a fleeting glimpse of a bushbuck ewe and a couple young sable bulls. Yes it was a full moon. The avo hunt which always began at 3pm (too hot til then) produced 3 kudu cows, more duiker and baboons. Quite a few Eland tracks seen but not the makers. Then just before dark a big Sable bull and cow though I can’t say I saw the bull amongst the trees. We off the bakkie and cut along parallel but in the failing light bounced out 2 young Sable bulls which bolted and stuffed up our chance.

Fri 6th – Getting serious now with roll call at 4.30 and away at 5am which was daylight. More duiker and baboons then a herd of Sable which we attempted a stalk on but got busted. Then a couple of medium bulls were seen but not big enough. A big Warthog got Simon all excited but by the time I worked out maybe I should be shooting it he was getting outa Dodge. If he’d stopped either side of the bush he took refuge behind then I’d of given him one helluva fright or killed him. Further on a female with big tusks got us all excited again. I tell you those Warthogs are big suckers up there.

A breakfast at around 11am each day with a couple celebratory beers (for the All Blacks win, Simon drank Lemonade – Yeah nah) then it was a bit of a nap thru the heat til 3am when we’d head out again. This day Christiaan and I went and put a couple cameras on a waterhole returning about 1 pm.

On the avo hunt we saw a couple groups of Sable. The first had a big female which looked like a bull, all dark but not the big horns we were looking for. The second group bolted when we tried to stalk in on them. I was quickly learning these Sable have got their wits about them and this (getting a big bull) was not going to be easy.

Sat 7th – Saw 2 young kudu bulls near camp then a Reedbuck ewe. Later another couple Reedbuck ewes. Two pairs of young Sable bulls topped off the morning with the by now usual duiker and baboon sightings. We took some time to dig out a waterhole so animals could get water as it was getting mighty dry out there.

On the avo hunt we sprung a Warthog near camp and saw a group of about 9 Sable with no bull in attendance. Another group of Sable in the last light didn’t give us enough time to stalk before dark so we left them undisturbed. Simon spotted a reasonable bull amongst the herd. Back to camp we went but called up the hill to get phone coverage. Big night as the All Blacks were playing the Boks again, this time in South Africa. Score at half time was AB’s 8 Boks 3 final score will have to wait until tomorrow.

Sun 8th – Away at 5 am but not much about, the moon still very bright overhead so animals not moving much during the day. Saw a young kudu bull, more duiker, couple reedbuck ewes and a warthog. No sable this morn. Checked cameras but just baboons on them. Theres a lot of places animals can get water there so not a lot of use waiting at the agua.

Avo we went to check out a waterhole on a big plain where there was a lot of sable sign. We saw a reedbuck ewe there and a female warthog with young. The boys dug down so the hole filled with water with a cunning plan to return........
View attachment 206848 View attachment 206849 View attachment 206850 View attachment 206851

That’s great. Can hardly wait for the next episode.

View attachment 206848 View attachment 206849 View attachment 206850 View attachment 206851

Just for interest, Southern red-billed hornbill and brown hooded kingfisher. The brown hooded kingfisher lives mainly on spiders, doesn't feed on fish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg