MOZAMBIQUE: Niassa Reserve With KWALATA SAFARIS August 2022

Congratulations @Caveman and @KWALATA SAFARIS ! That is a fine looking Tom! And what an ancient bush pig! Thanks a lot for sharing!

That is quite a record Jaco well done.

You had success beyond my wildest dreams-congrats to the hunter and ph/crew.

Well she is the brains of the outfit......and better looks, so....
Ahhh Phil for once you are right! ;-) As long as you remember she was right first ;-) ;-) ;-)

My best always

Thanks for everyone’s comments and suggestions. As far as the story Jaco mentioned regarding the leopard, I’ll work to write it up, but will need a little time. Other stalks are as follows:

Buffalo: On the morning on the 3rd day, we started out tracking some plains game, however about mid-morning we spotted a group of 7 Dagga Boys grazing several hundred yards away. Hoping the wind direction would cooperate and remain consistent, we worked closer and arced around to put the wind in our face using the terrain as cover until we were within 50-60 yards of the buffalo which were now split into two smaller groups. One group of 3 was directly ahead of us approximately 50 yards. The other group of 4 was ahead and to the right of us, about 30 yards away from the other 3. We were using a large tree as well as some brush as concealment, and even having the wind to our advantage, one of the group of 4 spotted us and obviously knew something was wrong, but was not alarmed enough to run. With that buffalo continuing to stare us down, I slowly went up on sticks, surveying the group through my scope, while Jaco evaluated with binoculars. We determined that the best one of the group happened to be one of the 3 directly in front of us, however he was the only one of the 7 that was feeding behind some brush and did not offer a clear shot. Keeping him in the scope and waiting for what seemed like an hour (in reality it was probably 5-6 minutes) he stepped out from behind the brush in a quartering facing position at 52 yards. I squeezed the trigger and hit him in his front left shoulder, breaking the joint and sending the bullet through his vitals. Upon the shot the 6 other buffalo ran into the jesse away from us, however the hit bull, obviously not knowing where the shot came from jumped and ran straight ahead, hobbling on his front leg. While not charging, he did run within 25 to 30 yards to our left. During this time, I fired my second barrel, reloaded and fired 2 more shots into his side. Almost directly abeam us from where the first shot was fired, he made a wide 180 turn and then fell over and began bellowing 50 yards from our position. As we approached, I placed 1 more shot into his vitals for good measure, but he was already dead at that time.

Sable: On the morning of the 5th or 6th day (I can’t remember which) we were walking through a relatively open forest when we spotted a herd of wildebeest about a hundred and fifty yards or so in the distance. While not being in an advantageous position with either terrain or the wind, we backed out and began working our way around to get a better angle to evaluate the herd. Suddenly the tracker Joe stopped dead still, obviously from seeing an animal. As we looked, there was what we could tell a nice sable lying down at about a hundred yards. At this point, the only thing discernable was his head and antlers, however there was too much cover to determine if he was mature enough to take. I went up on sticks, finding the still lying down animal in the scope, while Jaco briefed me on the plan. Jaco would whistle in order to get the sable to stand where he could get a clearer view of the animal and its antlers, particularly its secondary growth. If the sable was a viable, he would then give me the ok to shoot, otherwise he would wave me off. Everything went basically according to plan. It did take several whistle’s to get the animal to stand, and when he did, he moved to the left several feet, but then stood still looking at us. Jaco carefully evaluated him and then gave the ok to fire. I was already prepared with the crosshairs on him and the safety off. I never measured him, but would estimate him 37-38 inches with about an inch and a half of secondary growth as well as polished tips, not bad for a Roosevelt.

One of the best stalks we did but unfortunately did not work out was a huge Livingstone Eland that Joe picked up late one evening. We followed him through open forest and brush for close to two hours, several times getting him in sight, but never able to get a clear shot. Eventually, with darkness starting to close in on us, we had to call it off and head back to the truck. It was disappointing, but certainly a great stalk on an elusive animal.

With respect to the rifles used, the first is a Krieghoff Classic Big Five in 500-416 for the buffalo and leopard. Scope is a Zeiss Conquest V4 1-4x24 with an illuminated reticle. The rounds were Woodleigh 410 grain softs, 108.5 grains H100 powder, Hornady cases, Federal 215 primers. Rifle chrono’s at 2169 (right barrel) and 2144 (left barrel).

The other rifle is a Winchester Model 70 375 H&H and was used for plains game. Scope is a Swarovski Habicht 1.5-6x42. Rounds were Nosler Trophy Grade 260 grain Accubonds.

Pictures of the double rifle with the Buffalo and Leopard.

dsc_0035-jpg.490305
dsc_0081-jpg.490306

Attachments

• DSC_0035.JPG
    7.4 MB · Views: 259
  • DSC_0081.JPG
    7 MB · Views: 258
Last edited by a moderator:
I hear that Niassa could be the next best place for tourism. Also, it is said that it is one of the wildest places in Africa. Please, someone explain how it could be wild but a tourist destination? Just trying to figure this out as I like to hunt in wild places. Thanks

I'm not sure that Niassa will turn into a tourist destination. One of the main reasons is that it is not an easy place to get to. To get there, you will need to get to Northern Mozambique (Pemba) most likely via another African city (Johannesburg) and then take a private charter to Niassa. The tourist outfitter will have to have a camp which will need to be completely off grid as well as a landing strip for the incoming aircraft. Another issue with Niassa is that, it is mostly forest with not a whole lot of open space/savannah and while there are large amounts of game there, a lot of which you can see from a vehicle; to truly experrience it you will need to be on foot. For these reasons, places like Kruger have significant benefits over Niassa for tourism. I'm sure others can talk more to this, this is just my take on the situation.

Thanks Caveman. For some reason I was under the impression that tourist outfits were currently operating in the reserve. Congratulations on your hunt and sharing.

I enjoyed your recounting of the safari, and congratulations on a successful trip. Jaco's approach to the hunt underscores his care for the client and the concession. Fantastic.

Waidmannsheil again @Caveman ! Excellent hunting and great trophies !

Do you have some pictures of the flora you could share of the Niassa reserve? To have an idea of how the landscape and vegetation looks like, as a wild place?

Waidmannsheil again @Caveman ! Excellent hunting and great trophies !

Do you have some pictures of the flora you could share of the Niassa reserve? To have an idea of how the landscape and vegetation looks like, as a wild place?
I have a couple pics,

Well done! That pig is just plum spooky! I don’t have many full body mounts but I would have to seriously think about it with that bushpig! Of course the leopard as well. Congratulations

@Hunt anything,
Thanks! Actually talking to Splitting Image taxidermy now. Looking at getting a full body of the leopard either attacking or standing over a fresh kill of the bush pig. The ideas they have sent thus far have been really great.

@VertigoBE,
I have some areal shots that will show some remoteness of the area. I also have a few shots that depict local flora. They are on my computer at home. I’m working on the road now, I’ll be happy to post tomorrow when I get back tomorrow.

@VertigoBE,
I have some areal shots that will show some remoteness of the area. I also have a few shots that depict local flora. They are on my computer at home. I’m working on the road now, I’ll be happy to post tomorrow when I get back tomorrow.
Thanks!

Some areal shots of the local hunting area as well as the plane ride from Pemba to Niassa, along with some pictures from the ground. @VertigoBE, this will give you a basic idea, I'm sure Jaco has more pictures to better depict what you are looking for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!