AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, AHEIA
Hunted
Canada(AB, BC, SASK, NWT)), USA (WY, MN, TX), South Africa (Limpopo and Eastern Cape), Zambia
After using a .416 Rigby to shoot my first Cape Buffalo at Mbizi in Zambia this year I have added to my "African
Addiction" by deciding I should set out on a quest to purchase a .416 Rigby of my own.
That's where you guys come in, I would like opinions on what manufacturer I should be looking at.
The .416 I used at Mbizi was a Dakota which I really liked and shot well. I do have a CZ 550 in .375 H&H which I have used in South Africa a couple of times and again it shoots well and have had zero issues with. I also have a Cooper in 300 H&H which is a sweet well made firearm. I also have a Sako A7 Roughtech in .300 Win Mag and Sako 85 Hunter and Browning BBR in 7MM Rem Mag. So you can see I am not stuck on any one manufacturer.
The only real stipulation I have is that I would like to keep the price under 10K.
So let's see those opinions on what manufacturer I should be looking into and why.
Thanks.

Which Dakota were u shooting? The 97 could have Talley quick detach mounts with savarski low power and still stay at or a freckle under 10k. If it was model 76 ( wood) it would go over. My 97 is rapidly becoming a serious favorite of mine. Action is extremely nice. Mine is 400 HH. Not as pretty as some but neither am i

I have a CZ 550 in 375 then bought a 404j several years ago. Love them both. Here's a link to a 416Rigby on gunbroker https://www.gunbroker.com/item/720104304 I like it because it has the two cross bolts. You could buy it, put some nice glass on for $1k and use the rest of the money on a buffalo hunt!

Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 2.00.38 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Which Dakota were u shooting? The 97 could have Talley quick detach mounts with savarski low power and still stay at or a freckle under 10k. If it was model 76 ( wood) it would go over.
It was the model 76 with the swarovski. I am partial to wood stocks.

Here's a link to a 416Rigby on gunbroker https://www.gunbroker.com/item/720104304 I like it because it has the two cross bolts. You could buy it, put some nice glass on for $1k and use the rest of the money on a buffalo hunt!
Problem is I live north of the border, not so easy to get the firearm shipped here without a lot of red tape.

If you want to spend the coin look at the Martini Heym. I looked at the 375 but the barrel is a bit heavy for my taste's. The Rigby in that configuration is a seriously nice firearm, and since you are north of the border I bet Martini could hook you up.

Check this out, second one down, WOWEE!!

http://www.martinigunmakers.com/forsale_rifles.htm

That think is something else.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 1.11.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 1.11.39 PM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 229
  • Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 1.11.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 1.11.50 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 242
Last edited:
Problem is I live north of the border, not so easy to get the firearm shipped here without a lot of red tape.

It's not that bad really. I used it for my 416 import and it went as smoothly as anything I have ever ordered. It takes a little time but, its not that bad.

irunguns was suggested to me and I have zero complaints.
https://www.irunguns.us/product_categories.php

Reactions: cls
It's not that bad really. I used it for my 416 import and it went as smoothly as anything I have ever ordered. It takes a little time but, its not that bad.
Thanks, I'll keep this in mind.

How about a Rigby?

CLS,

hmmmm, i would look hard at the cz 550. $1,000-2,000 tops. THEN, find a spectacular piece of wood, and have it custom stocked for YOUR measurements. chop the barrel, etc if needed. i just think with a nice budget like that, you could get a bullet proof, proven rifle, and have it stocked to fit you PERFECTLY, and beautifully.

A FULL CUSTOM CZ 550 WITH BEAUTIFUL WOOD FROM AHR WILL COST YOU ABOUT $6,000.00. PUT A SWAROVSKI 1-6X24 30MM WITH WARNE QR RINGS YOUR IN FOR AROUND $8,000.00.

A FULL CUSTOM CZ 550 WITH BEAUTIFUL WOOD FROM AHR WILL COST YOU ABOUT $6,000.00. PUT A SWAROVSKI 1-6X24 30MM WITH WARNE QR RINGS YOUR IN FOR AROUND $8,000.00.

This is a good option. Or wait for a barely used one to come on the market and get it for at least $1,500 less...if you have the time and patience.

There seem to be a couple used 416 Rigby and 404J AHR rifles on the market each year.

AHR HAS OR HAD A BEAUTIFUL AHR IN 416 RIGBY @ $5,000.00 ADD $2,000.00 FOR THE GLASS. THEN COME BACK TO AFRICA FOR YOUR BUFF HE IS WAITING FOR YOU (SOMEWHERE)!

I picked up my AHR #3 with very nice English for about $3000

CLS
The Dakota 76 is a great choice. I personally hunt in Alaska as much as I hunt in Africa so I chose 97. Sometimes I second guess my choices

This is a good option. Or wait for a barely used one to come on the market and get it for at least $1,500 less...if you have the time and patience.
At present I have the time to wait... although the last time I said that I found a deal here on AH and ended up in Zambia hunting cape buffalo after only 6 months of being in South Africa. Which brings me to my present situation of wanting a .416 Rigby.

...........I found a deal here on AH ................Which brings me to my present situation of wanting a .416 Rigby.

I blame this forum for plenty of misadventures in my life too. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,