Most surprising/had to have animal on your first Safari

I would add, I can be a sentimental sort. I carry around a 1 rand coin in my work vest - the coin with the black wildebeest on it. I pull it out and look at it and smile. I carry that one specifically (I brought back other coins) because a) it reminds me I have been in Africa and hunted there, b) the black wildebeest image lets me imagine hunting one someday, and c) it keeps me focused on the idea of returning someday. Frankly, that image of a black wildebeest is one of the most accurate to life images of something on a coin I've ever seen, IMHO. Yeah, I want to hunt one someday. That was not true a half year ago.

Backyardsniper - you cannot argue, AH members have stepped up w/ their ‘keepers’ & I enjoyed the comment ‘why’.

Key Note: you’ve already selected Zimbabwe & SAVE region … not all ‘favors at the ice parlor’ will be available there, tip: focus on the Mature Trophy Potential of those species which are ‘eye candy’ to you & will provide you - Hunt Adventure you desire.

I’m feeling the ‘Luv’ for my fav - Livingstone & Waterbuck :A Yell:. Don’t overlook the working man/woman Buff - Blue Wildebeest. Great European Skull mount & quality coloration in tanned hide - my 2nd favorite to Hartebeest! Happy Trails.

Hello Backyardsniper,

I am fond of all African fauna.
Therefore, I enjoy simply wandering through the bushveld and taking whatever presents itself, within my simple (very simple) working man’s budget.
However, tracking a wild eland on foot is the one thing about Africa that makes my blood run hot and cold.
They are hyper vigilant, nimble and Swift moving.

A mature bull can leap over a 10 foot high game fence almost as easily as our whitetail and mule deer can leap over a low, typical USA cattle fence.
Another thing I love about them is that in the African hunting culture, often times an ancient bull with worn down horns is considered more desirable than a young bull with long horns.
I tend to start yawning when I see a hunter get all wound around the rover axel about tape measure numbers, fussing over fractions of inches on horns, tusks, etc.
So, the lowered importance of horn length, (at least among many resident hunters within Africa), is one more reason I love to stalk elands.

Eland are also excellent for eating, simply delicious.
Yours truly finally shot one during my 5th trip to Africa.
Next time I go, another eland will hopefully donate himself to the cause.
Over approximately the past year, I’ve lost 27 pounds so far and am hiking a lot in the hills where I live, in preparation for following Mr. Eland’s spoor again, one of these days.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

I can relate with you, my never ending and rarely successful quest to "get in shape" is all consuming. Always trying to get ready fkr the next hunt. I leave in 53 days for a Wyoming elk hunt which I am I'll prepared for as usual. I am going to have to research this Eland business more myself. I too am not a huge fan of the numbers. I like a nice trophy as much as anyone but sometimes the trophy for me is in the story of the hunt, maybe the difficulty of the shot, maybe something funny that happened on that particular hunt. Often the hunt is more of the trophy for me than the actual horns

I would add, I can be a sentimental sort. I carry around a 1 rand coin in my work vest - the coin with the black wildebeest on it. I pull it out and look at it and smile. I carry that one specifically (I brought back other coins) because a) it reminds me I have been in Africa and hunted there, b) the black wildebeest image lets me imagine hunting one someday, and c) it keeps me focused on the idea of returning someday. Frankly, that image of a black wildebeest is one of the most accurate to life images of something on a coin I've ever seen, IMHO. Yeah, I want to hunt one someday. That was not true a half year ago.

Color me sentimental as well. When I open my wallet and look where my ID should be I don't see my face, but the stern face of Mzee Jomo Kenyatta - the first president of Kenya. I carry that 200 shilling note so that every time I open my wallet I think of Kenya/Africa. No, I don't necessarily agree with his policies, but I can't control what happened that long ago; I carry it to remind me of my adventure around Mt Kenya, the NFD, the people I met, the animals I saw, and the hours of grand conversation I had about Kenya and its treasure of safari.

As to the OP - the birds were an unexpectedly glorious find. I think going during the rains, when the large game was a bit more scattered, gave me an appreciation for the smaller animals than had it been like a zoo. I remember one stream crossing we had to take where a pied wagtail would consistently light on our bumper and sing as long as we would stay. For this a good set of binos was crucial.

For some reason I became especially fond of the whistling thorns as well. Their low moaning in the wind, and the bulbs at the base of the the thorns that held the cocktail ants - wonderful little trees.

Here is a Buchanan hunts YouTube video of eland hunting in Save. There is another video too if you search.

Save as much as you can and have an open mind when you arrive. Your PH may have "specials" due to carrying capacity or age of animals in their area. You will also likely see SOMETHING(S) that is so marvelous when you see it in person and that you never considered or planned on. Mine was a Sable and Waterbuck.

Sable on special and Waterbuck was just plain awesome and HUGE.

With my first safari coming up I have been discussing a lot with my booking agent what I want to hunt. I will be working with a reasonably limited budget and hunting in the Save Valley in Zimbabwe. Buffalo, tuskless and Kudu are my main goals. Having never been to Africa though I'm curious if there were any animals you crossed paths with on your first trip, or any other really, that you were really taken aback by. Something that pictures or your preconceived notions had not done it justice, but upon seeing it in person you just had to have it.
I know i want an Impala, I think they represent Africa for some reason. Maybe because every tv show always has a bunch of them running around. I'm not sure about Eland, they are big but don't seem terribly exciting, that may be different seeing one in person though. I didn't think I wanted a Zebra but then I saw a Zebra rug and decided I might need one.
Mine was a Kudu. I ended up on my first taking a Kudu, impala, black wildebeest, spring buck and zebra all beautiful animals. The zebra rug with all animals are in my office. I followed up on my second with a black impala, golden wildebeest, warthog, nyala and cape buffalo

On my first safari I really wanted an impala, gemsbok, springbuck and kudu. I got all them plus a blue wildebeest and blesbuck. I've been back twice and have taken several more plains game and a cape Buffalo. As I look back my favorite hunts were Eland both wildebeest, hartebeest mountain zebra and cape Buffalo. Also love my blue wildebeest rug.

We were night hunting for bush pig and the spotlight lit up a civet. It was the excitement of my PH, the kind of excitement that screams "this is a great trophy" that made me pull the trigger. I'm very glad I did! I've been back since then but have yet to see another, despite several night hunts.

IMG-20170814-WA0004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think hunting dangerous game on your first safari is just fine if you do a long enough hunt. On my first safari, I took a leopard, bull elephant and two big buffalo, in addition to a fabulous bag of plains game that included a 45" sable.

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. It was the best hunt of my lifetime.

I think hunting dangerous game on your first safari is just fine if you do a long enough hunt. On my first safari, I took a leopard, bull elephant and two big buffalo, in addition to a fabulous bag of plains game that included a 45" sable.

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. It was the best hunt of my lifetime.

Frankly, the only reason I wanted to go on my first safari. I couldn’t see the point of a PG Safari when what I wanted to hunt was buffalo.

Definitely. I'm going over there to hunt an elephant. Everything else is a bonus on this trip. Once I get that handled then I may take a trip back there hopefully just to hunt plains game.

With my first safari coming up I have been discussing a lot with my booking agent what I want to hunt. I will be working with a reasonably limited budget and hunting in the Save Valley in Zimbabwe. Buffalo, tuskless and Kudu are my main goals. Having never been to Africa though I'm curious if there were any animals you crossed paths with on your first trip, or any other really, that you were really taken aback by. Something that pictures or your preconceived notions had not done it justice, but upon seeing it in person you just had to have it.
I know i want an Impala, I think they represent Africa for some reason. Maybe because every tv show always has a bunch of them running around. I'm not sure about Eland, they are big but don't seem terribly exciting, that may be different seeing one in person though. I didn't think I wanted a Zebra but then I saw a Zebra rug and decided I might need one.
Funny you mention Zebra and Eland. Those are two that many don’t care for until they get there and see them in the wild. I was well down the list of safari accomplishments before I took an Eland. Wow you are going straight after the DG and Big 5 for the first safari! Best of luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NinaStilwe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross