Most Dangerous Game (unwounded)?

One evening, over drinks with the hosts of a couple of TV shows, I asked them this same question. After some back and forth they finally agreed that it is an elephant. Their logic was that even climbing a tree won't help. An elephant will just push it over (unless it's a really big tree like a baobab).

I've never hunted elephant ( a concession to my wife's tolerance of all of my other hunting), but their reasoning seems to make sense.

Elephant will attack without provocation. I suspect, but don't know for sure, that buffalo will do the same.
https://bit.ly/2RFW48D (If the link is deleted search on: Billionaire Tom Siebel Shares Chilling Elephant Attack Horror Story

The animal that personally threatened me several times without reason was also the elephant in various countries. Once in Burkina Faso it got so far that i almost shot a young elephant bull , and that in a country where elephant hunting is not allowed. After a short running that didn't make sense , i turned around , shouldered the rifle and was ready to shoot. Luckily he stopped and turned away. The team of locals , that ran faster than I , was very funny that I almost shot an elephant.

I never had a problem with a buffalo if I did not hunt him.

To the hunter it has to be an elephant, they are big and when poached heavily are unpredictable and will charge without provocation, it has happened to me

Unwounded for the hunter where they occur : Elephant!!!!!!!!

An elephant. No doubt hippo and croc have killed more humans but if elephant populations were as widespread, I’m sure you’d find more people killed by them.

The same argument could possibly be made for black rhino...extremely temperamental animals.

I have no direct experience in this matter, but recently read in Robin Hurt's new book that he considers Cape buffalo to be the most dangerous animal. He ranks the animals that can be lethal to us, and buffalo took the top spot by a far margin. I am in the process now of scheduling a buffalo and intend to be able to speak to the matter at hand with the aid of experience.

That's because no one finds the croc victim....

I could certainly be wrong but I'm convinced crocs kill more people and it's just never confirmed.
I think even if the Croc victim is not found Hippos still kill more people. My reasoning for this is because when on a fishing holiday in Zambia I asked the guide, Do you know anyone that has been killed by a Hippo? He replied "Yah... about 7 a year." I would also think that it's just as hard to find a Hippo victim.

A Cape Cobra charged me, does that count ?

A Cape Cobra charged me, does that count ?

It certainly would for me!! I've never seen a P.H. back up as fast as mine did when there was a cobra crossing the path in front of us. I watched that snake disappear into a bush before my eyes. Makes you extremely nervous when you look for a place to relieve yourself.

I think the reason hippos and crocs rack up their numbers is that in many villages, people need to go to the riverside to get their water. Hippos are super territorial, and crocs are super indiscriminate about what they ambush.

I've heard elephant cows can be extremely dangerous, especially in cropping operations. Can someone fill me in on what those are like?

I have found that two legged Whitetails are by far the most formidable.
I think a few are missing the original question.......

Which one do you think is the most dangerous to hunt if the animal has not been wounded and why?

Most Africans get killed by hippo but this is not related to hunting same for crocs....Man eating lions and leopards also do not fall into this category.....

On foot hunting DG game the most dangerous to hunt that has not been wounded would be elephant cows and in particular tusk less elephant cows.....Why, because there will invariable be cows with young calves present, which makes them super alert and protective and you need to get into the herd, find a tusk less, determine that she does not have a dependent calf at foot and then get into position to take this specific cow among the others, then take the shot.....this is often where the danger can start, if the rest of the herd take exception to your presence and actions....

That is undoubtedly the most dangerous of the seven to hunt without a doubt....if in doubt book such a hunt and come and hunt one and see for yourself.
I fulky agree with IvW regarding NON WOUNDED DG. Things dramatically as soon as wounded.. IMO leopard jumps to the fire here. Small, camouflaged, sneaky, quicker than lightning and waits until you are on it before attacking WITHOUT WARNING! An old PH friend of mine, now deceased, from Zambia referred to a wounded leopard as a MOBILE CHAIN SAW!!!

Sorry never thought of that.

No sweat. And again I may certainly be wrong.

There is no doubt that reported and confirmed hippo attacks are number one. It's the unreported that I believe make the difference.

A hippo doesn't hide in the water where it knows people frequently visit in order to ambush them, a croc does.

The most dangerous game is the one you are hunting. They can all kill and maim you and the people around you. As the hunter of dangerous game, you are probably one of two people that have a firearm in your party. Regardless of the animal, you need to know how to use that rifle and have the mind set that you are going to kill whilst on the trail. You can celebrate and discuss the hunt hours after it’s done.

Since elephants are super brainy, do they ever use their big brains to try and outfox the hunter? I've read stories about "The Crowed Prince" being a pain in the ass to track but how about an elephant using big brain time moves to charge from the side or something.

The most dangerous game is the one you are hunting. ...
What about the game you are not hunting but is in the area anyway?
I've read stories about following an animal (let's say lion) but things were complicated by having to pass through herds of something else (elephant) to stay after it.

What about when you are on top with your secretary in your bed when you hear the words "i`m home where are you" as she comes through the bedroom door...THATS dangerous!

What about the game you are not hunting but is in the area anyway?
I've read stories about following an animal (let's say lion) but things were complicated by having to pass through herds of something else (elephant) to stay after it.

This situation is not rare. In some cases I had lions or/and elephants standing in the way during a buffalo hunt. The elephants were the problem , not the lion , that was very quickly gone. You cannot go through an elephant herd. If it's possible you have to get around or give up your buffalo hunting action.

Reactions: IvW
I recall one of our Bangladeshi friends mentioning an incident when a client almost sat on a crocodile during a break in the hunt....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmieFletch

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg