1) elephant
2) lion
3) hippo
4) buffalo
5) rhino
Think this at no1....:D
Yes, I agree, Karel Stumphe with his 8x68S S Mauser:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

You are
Gert, having spent three days in hospital and receiving four courses of anti-venom after a snake bite, I kill every venomous snake I see. I tend to agree with you on the others.
WAB, you are lucky, other hunters have been trampled by elephant , mauled by lion and leopard and gored by buffalo, they do not kill every elephant, lion, leopard and buffalo they see when hunting in Africa..:LOL::LOL: Hunting in Africa can be dangerous(y)

K
I have never believed that. There is too little of the human population living next to rivers. remember, Africa is a comparatively dry continent. It may be true in areas like the Caprivi, where a lot of people do live close to rivers, but even in this small sample, if I have to rely on my memory, elephant fatalities has been higher than crocs and hippo.
People tend to try and chase elephants away from their crops, and sometimes stumble into them at night time.

From my hunting perspective, I would split it into the following categories:

A) most likely to charge
1) leopard
2) lion
3) elephant cow (unwounded)
4) buffalo
5) hippo

B) most likely to kill you if it makes it to you:
1) elephant
2) lion
3) hippo
4) buffalo
5) rhino

C) The follow ups that make my hair stand on end the most
1) wounded lion as it WILL kill you if it makes it to you, and comes very quick
2) wounded leopard as it WILL charge, and the most likely to get you because it is so fast and only gives it potition away when he launches the attack
3) wounded buffalo mush slower than a lion, but also deadly, also bigger target
4) wounded elephant as it is normally easier to see before it comes, but if it makes it to you....
5) hippo only because I had to swim with them...

Karl, great to hear from you (y) I got to know about you as a great PH , not because you are a great PH, or great hunter who knows the behavior of game and dangerous game since your childhood , or through the glowing reports about you as a great PH from clients of you....no, no, I got to know about you because you view the venerable 8x68S designed by August Schuler as the greatest German Magnum ever designed ....:LOL::LOL: Do you still use your 8 x 68S hunting rifle frequently in Namibia???

Last edited:
we have always been most afraid of the cats (lions were always in the area).
At buffalos and elephants we have approached partly on 10 m, or were run at.
With cats - unbelievable.
Cats.jpg

Always a danger :whistle:

Last edited:
Yes, and Cats have the tendency to flaunt their beauty..:whistle::LOL:

I am sure the indigenous South African people and Bushman would disagree with you, just because we with rifles hunts the Dangerous game animals as dangerous game animals it does not mean the indigenous tribes like the Bushman do not perceive a big dangerous Mamba/Cape Cobra /Puff adder as their favorite dangerous game animal to spit over a camp fire ...:LOL::LOL:(y)(y) There is more to hunting dangerous game in Africa than meets the eye Dough(y)
Do indigenous people eat, or like to eat, snake? Seriously.

"There is more to hunting dangerous game in Africa than meets the eye"

Yes, but snakes ( and malaria mosquitoes) are part of the risk of every traveller going to inner Africa.

Do indigenous people eat, or like to eat, snake? Seriously.
The indigenous tribes here in Africa has a variety of animals they eat that will not considered by our westerners hunters as edible...the following is included...Mopani worms, grass-hoppers , leguwaan/monitor lizzard, snakes, tortoises , bird eggg, baboon, velvet monkeys ( bush meat) here is a video of what indigenous tribes eat , those who has not being westernised yet....

"There is more to hunting dangerous game in Africa than meets the eye"

Yes, but snakes ( and malaria mosquitoes) are part of the risk of every traveller going to inner Africa.
You will be surprised , mosquitoes evolved and became highly intelligent, they are making use of taxis and trains to travel across country from rural areas...so you do not get mosquitoes in "inner Africa" Lowveld towns like Hectorspruit, Malelane /Komatipoort and the entire Kruger National park, Phalaborwa ect, regions where hunting is conducted...snakes are all over cities like Durban, Kwazulu-Natal regions, Pretoria, Johannesburg..every place in South Africa all towns has poisonous snakes slithering around houses and gardens...(y):LOL:

I had a hair raising experience when still a young boy when a huge Mamba chased my friend Pieter Louw and me , although we had rifles in hand , it was the last thing we thought of to try and shoot at this black open mouth creature coming rolling towards us hissing like a steam locomotive...it was coming straight towards us in the long grass standing about a meter high and throwing his bottom portion of his body in cycles while his head was moving side ways , gleaming black eyes , black open mouth ...it really was a frightening sight....even running as fast as possible to open some distance between us and his advance felt like we are not outrunning the mamba...:E Horrified::E Horrified:

my PH Jerry was stalking with a client on elephant,suddenly a Mamba stands before his face ( Jerry is round 1,80 tall).She was gone immediatly.The client needed one day for recreation oh these shock.

my PH Jerry was stalking with a client on elephant,suddenly a Mamba stands before his face ( Jerry is round 1,80 tall).She was gone immediatly.The client needed one day for recreation oh these shock.
He was lucky and the client, the mamba could easily have killed them there..you have a window of a hour to get to a doctor who is extremely knowledgeable in treating Mamba poison in a person...the main treatment being securing a patient to a respirator to take over his breathing, the person then goes into a coma , no sign of life..at all, although the patient can not move at all, paralysed at that stage he/she can hear what is going on around them, blood transfusion take place as well, and more medication...the patient if lucky will recover from the coma , and will be able to tell you exactly what he heard around him but was unable to see /speak/move , totally paralysed....there is documented studies of two well known persons here is South Africa who experienced being bitten /inject poison by a Mamba ...both was Kruger National Game Rangers....will find you this information if you /members are interested to know what happens to you if you are bitten by the Mamba .....(y):LOL:

I think a few are missing the original question.......

Exactly.

On foot hunting DG game the most dangerous to hunt that has not been wounded would be elephant cows and in particular tusk less elephant cows.....Why, because there will invariable be cows with young calves present, which makes them super alert and protective and you need to get into the herd, find a tusk less, determine that she does not have a dependent calf at foot and then get into position to take this specific cow among the others, then take the shot.....this is often where the danger can start, if the rest of the herd take exception to your presence and actions....

Agree completely. Male elephant will move away from you if they become aware of you in a hunting area. Lion will also move away, you would need to really provoke them and I would imagine if you are hunting them, you would take a shot long before they get angry enough to charge. Leopard will disappear if he spots you. White rhino are generally fairly placid. Crocs - doubtful you would be close enough to the water even when hunting them- recovery could be fun. Hippo are similar- if you are on land, they will run for water and will almost never come out of the water after you. Generally most dangerous game is dangerous after you wound it.

You will be surprised , mosquitoes evolved and became highly intelligent, they are making use of taxis and trains to travel across country from rural areas...so you do not get mosquitoes in "inner Africa" Lowveld towns like Hectorspruit, Malelane /Komatipoort and the entire Kruger National park, Phalaborwa ect, regions where hunting is conducted...snakes are all over cities like Durban, Kwazulu-Natal regions, Pretoria, Johannesburg..every place in South Africa all towns has poisonous snakes slithering around houses and gardens...(y):LOL:

I have seen a very interesting TV show about a very strange looking guy and his girlfriend who work in Durban, catching all kinds of snakes from houses, stores, factories...

After catching them they are released in a wild habitat.

I have seen a very interesting TV show about a very strange looking guy and his girlfriend who work in Durban, catching all kinds of snakes from houses, stores, factories...

Why kill them if you can release snakes safely away from human environment???It just makes sense..I do not kill what I can not eat...(y)(y)

I am sure the indigenous South African people and Bushman would disagree with you, just because we with rifles hunts the Dangerous game animals as dangerous game animals it does not mean the indigenous tribes like the Bushman do not perceive a big dangerous Mamba/Cape Cobra /Puff adder as their favorite dangerous game animal to spit over a camp fire ...:LOL::LOL:(y)(y) There is more to hunting dangerous game in Africa than meets the eye Dough(y)
OK. I give up. If you guys want to class snakes as game, go ahead. What about the mosquitos? I find that they're kind of hard to hit with a rifle.

Why kill them if you can release snakes safely away from human environment???It just makes sense..I do not kill what I can not eat...(y)(y)
Gert, there's always exceptions to the rules.. In this case, I have to agree with "the only good snake is a dead snake" scenario. Eeessshhhh

A good friend of mine , Dr. Khayrul Amin proposed a theory to me once why man eating panthers are so common in India , as opposed to Africa , where the man eating panther ( referred to , as a " leopard " in Africa )
is comparatively rare . The theory is as follows :
In India , roughly 60 to 70 % of the population are unfortunately vegetarian . As such , the heat signatures of these people are different from those who eat meat . It may entirely be possible that leopards can sense the heat signatures of other animals . When they sense the heat signatures of these people , they associate them with the herbivorous animals which they normally eat ( such as cheetal deer or 4 horned buck ) .
In order to reinforce this theory , the good Doctor gave me a book named " The man eaters of Tsavo " written by 1 Colonel Patterson . The book revolves around 2 man eating lions in Africa which were terrorizing rail road workers in the early 1900s. The Doctor showed me that the rail road workers were all brought over from India ( and were all predominantly vegetarian as they were Jain Hindu ) and that the lions did not actually start molesting humans until the Indian workers started working on the rail road tracks . I do not know how sound the Doctor's theory is , as l am not a Doctor myself . However , his theory certainly does seem rather well thought out and reasonable to me .
Interesting idea...

I did say that I didn't usually kill snakes unless they posed a threat. A venomous snake in my house or yard is a threat. Should that happen, I will not be calling that freaky guy and his girlfriend. That's what shotguns are for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majisman

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross