Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
British Association of Shooting and Conservation
Hunted
England, Scotland, Namibia and Finland
I have ticked off a number of experiences from my bucket list recently, and hope to complete a a few more when I go to Namibia next year.
The next priority will then be to hunt moose, either on foot or from a high seat/stand, rather than driven. Any recommendations for destinations / outfitters would be welcome.

Years ago, I heard a great description about moose hunting: It's a lot of fun, unless you get one! Then the work begins. Pick an outfitter with pack horses or mules.

Drawing non-resident tags in the US is tough. I've been buying preference points for 15 years for Wyoming and finally have enough to draw. I have a deposit down for 2018 with Bald Mountain Outfitters (Terry Pollard) (http://www.baldmountainoutfitters.com/ ). This is for Shiras moose.

I went Dall Sheep hunting in the Yukon last August with Dickson Outfitters (http://www.dicksonoutfitters.com/ ) and had a great hunt, great time and made some new friends. I plan to go back moose hunting in a few years. Adding on a bear to the moose hunt is also possible.

I haven't hunted with these guys but my neighbor has. He and 2 buddies took two bull moose in 2015.

Brophy and Sons Big Game Outfitters Newfoundland, Canada. I did a google search they have a website. Good luck

If you are looking for moose in Europe the member from Leica did a post on AH about a moose hunt and I believe referenced the outfitter there. Have fun, moose hunting is fantastic.

Donnachaidh,

I am not sure where you are located, and if you are looking for a European moose hunt, or looking to travel elesewhere. If you want to hunt the biggest moose (Alaska-Yukon subspecies), you'll have to travel to Alaska, or to Canada (specifically the Yukon or the Northwest Territories).

I hunted with Stan Stevens/Mackenize Mountain Outfitters in the Mackenzie Mountains of the Northwest Territories back in September. The have some monsters there, and it is essentially un-hunted every year as Stan has a 9,000 square mile (23,300 sq. km) concession and only takes about 14 hunters per year to hunt moose specifically. We had 7 hunters in camp, and all took excellent bull moose with 3 approaching the 70 inch mark. There were a couple of moose seen from the air that would have gone well over the 70 inch mark. You can also add Mountain Caribou as well, and they have some of the biggest mountain caribou in the world in the NWT. Their were some very nice bulls taken. I struck out on the caribou however, because it took me a while to get my moose, and the migration was occurring in earnest a little farther south from our remote outpost. I can recommend his outfit without a doubt, and he has a very solid reputation (40 years outfitting). However, a disclaimer.......

It is very remote, cold and wet. The terrain is that God-forsaken tundra/hummocks that make it miserable to walk on. Couple that with the fact that these 1500+ lb moose think they are sheep, and you have to climb to get them, and you've got yourself the making of a superb adventure. It's a back-pack style hunt, and you stay in back-pack type tents in sleeping bags, but Stan also has a nice base camp for when you return. Stan is old school for sure, and as tough as they come. Like 375 Ruger Fan said, the fun is over when you realize the magnitude of the animal you have put down, and that you have to get him squared away in the cold and wet. The nice thing about Stan's outfit is that he has a helicopter, so once you get the moose skinned, quartered, deboned, and packed out to a suitable landing site, he comes and gets the cape/antlers/meat with his Robinson R44 helicopter which makes it much easier than having to pack huge hunks of meat long distances.

Eventually, if I can motivate myself to finish writing up my report, I'll post the hunt report on here.

This video is from a German hunter, Henrik Lott, I like to watch on YouTube. I really like his videos. Anyway, he hunts all of his animals with a Kreighoff Double Rifle add open sights. He hunted in the NWT for moose with a double. He hunted with South Nahanni Outfitters. The scenery is really cool, and it gives you an idea of the terrain.

Anyway, let me know if you have any other questions and good luck on finding your moose hunt.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't hunted with these guys but my neighbor has. He and 2 buddies took two bull moose in 2015.

Brophy and Sons Big Game Outfitters Newfoundland, Canada. I did a google search they have a website. Good luck

Just to echo the recommendation on Newfoundland for moose: I work with several guys that use to live and work in St. John's Newfoundland. According to them, the island is overrun with moose. Moose were imported to the island 100+years ago and there are no predators to keep the population in check, other than hunting. Moose are a big problem for truckers and other motorist.

This article will give you an idea:
http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/what-you-should-know-about-newfoundland-moose

Sonething else you should know about Newfoundland if you plan a trip there. They have there own time zone and it's 30 minutes different than normal time. I swear I'm not making this up.
https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/nst

I am planning a moose hunt this fall in NFLD, hoping it all comes together

Red Indian Lake Lodge. Tell them that you don't want to road hunt and get out where only the ARGOs can go.

the place i am looking at is a few hour argo ride to the camp, should be an interesting trip

I have ticked off a number of experiences from my bucket list recently, and hope to complete a a few more when I go to Namibia next year.
The next priority will then be to hunt moose, either on foot or from a high seat/stand, rather than driven. Any recommendations for destinations / outfitters would be welcome.
Alaska is pricey but is having a little better time of bigger moose due to control of grizzlies and wolf. Newfoundland is cheaper, the moose are smaller, but chances are great you'll get one.

I have hunted Moose in Estonia very nice folks and lots of Moose. Finland is also an excellent place to hunt Moose. The outfit I used in Estonia is no longer operating so cant help with them .
MarkCZ

Just out of sincere curiosity, what are the European prices to hunt moose?

In Estonia you can get 2 days hunting for 600 euro all accomadation etc. 6 point bull moose 600 euro. This is based on 4 hunters.
Markcz

MarkCZ. This sounds interesting. (affordable)
Can you give more details about this. Where to ask, or some links, etc?

If I was in North-America at home,to hunt moose in Europe would be no decision for me.
Successrate is low everywhere in Europe.Especially Norway, Sweden and Finnland.
Baltikum and European part of Russia are better places.
But Russia is an embargo country at the time,no own weapon allowed to bring.
And the russian guns-forget it and their scopes much more.
jm2c
Foxi

Hi Foxi, it ws 2 years ago when I hunted Estonia. No problem bringing own rifle. I don't have aproblem with Baikal rifles. A bit agricultural but very reliable and mine will shoot 2 inch groups all day.
Markcz

Estonia is EU.

A friend of mine shot in Kamtschatka Moisin Nagant.
Probably the most popular gun i Asia.
A piece of wood with a little steel,but it worked :)
Regards

Great video! Thanks for sharing. Could anybody tell what calibre he was using?

CAustin,

I believe I've read a while back that his Kreighoff double is chambered in 375 H&H. I may be mistaken, and if so someone please correct me. I've looked on his group's website, where he has other videos, and information, but I couldn't find mention of the caliber…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RXQLela937

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber