Montana Rifle Company Actions

I have an MRC model ASR-SS chambered in .280 Ackley and love it. It's a tack driver and functions flawlessly. I also have heard of some customer service issues from them before they went out of business. Luckily, I haven't needed anything for my rifle, so all is good.

I am looking to scope my Model 70 37 H&H with a Leupold VX3 1.5-5, but I am not sure on the best scope ring heights.
Closer to the bore is more accurate and that is one of the smallest diameter Scopes so low. Some manufacturers even make different height bases so you can make it even lower. If you are retaining iron sights you may wish to go high so they don't interfere with the scope at low power. I have both setups but the low are on a classic stock and the high on more of a Monte Carlo stock so it's a straight shot from the eye on both setups. Many people tend to go way too high and as a result they do not get a proper cheek weld when firing.

Montana Rifle Company actions are investment cast... but so is the Ruger 77 and it is a solid, functional rifle. The one thing I do not like on the MRC action is the bolt release. What I do like is that they made them is several lengths and in left hand as well.

I heard their actions were cast by the sane outfit as the Ruger. Ruger hasn't failed me yet. I liked that MRC had the magnum sized action for a decent price. Too bad the one I was looking at got bought!

Can you pls post a pic when you get a chance? I'm guessing it's the same as the 416 action Cap'n mentioned above. L. Mag (heavy) action. That'd be a great case to create smaller bore wildcats!!! .640" at the base. Would the action have been used once by F. Macomber's wife? That adds value! :p
I've been laid up with various maladies and just now am getting around to taking the photos you requested. Sorry for the delay.
MRC .505 action 02 (2).jpg
MRC .505 action (2).jpg

Montana Rifle Company actions are investment cast... but so is the Ruger 77 and it is a solid, functional rifle. The one thing I do not like on the MRC action is the bolt release. What I do like is that they made them is several lengths and in left hand as well.
Hi Nevada Mike. I have one in 300 WSM. I’ll admit that I’ve had a devil of a time finding a load that delivers consistent accuracy. Not too much of a problem because it is a tack driver with Federal 180 grain Trophy Copper loads and I bought a case before the Great Shortage.

But the bolt release I rather like. IMO it’s a big improvement over the model 70 bolt release which is the only criticism I have regarding the m70. What is it about the MRC release that you don’t like?

... But the bolt release I rather like. IMO it’s a big improvement over the model 70 bolt release which is the only criticism I have regarding the m70. What is it about the MRC release that you don’t like?
I don't like that it rocks like a rocker switch. I think it could be a bit neater in appearance. Not a big objection at all, in fact I was contemplating ordering a LH version in 280 AI when they started the death spiral. I'm sorry that they're gone.

I don't like that it rocks like a rocker switch. I think it could be a bit neater in appearance. Not a big objection at all, in fact I was contemplating ordering a LH version in 280 AI when they started the death spiral. I'm sorry that they're gone.
The bolt release is certainly different, but it sure is slick to operate. You would have loved the .280 AI too. Mine is a tack driver and isn't overly finicky when it comes to factory ammo or handloads. When I shot straight Rem .280 through it so as to build my AI brass supply...accuracy didn't suffer AT ALL! That caught me by surprise a bit.

Always wondered about the accuracy of shooting fireformed cartridges.

I am having a 280 AI built on a LH Model 70 Classic. A lightweight stand-in for my 7mm RM, which weighs nine pounds. Seems the brass is available from Nosler and Remington, perhaps Norma also.

Always wondered about the accuracy of shooting fireformed cartridges.

I am having a 280 AI built on a LH Model 70 Classic. A lightweight stand-in for my 7mm RM, which weighs nine pounds. Seems the brass is available from Nosler and Remington, perhaps Norma also.
I probably have about 120 .280 AI headstamped cases, but wanted more as I worked through my handloads. I ordered Hornady brass originally and in a year...still haven't seen it. That's why I fireformed a couple of boxes. Since then I have been able to procure some Nosler brass. First time I've ever used it, but loved the measurements when it came out of the box. Not the cheapest, but worth the price!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JacquieLon

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.