Modern Muzzle Brakes

As @Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS said nobody out here is going to stop you using them....we were handed out the ear plugs that are on a plastic kind of head band one time by the client....one of us looked at them and forgot about his...I actually remembered to put them around my neck on first day....when first animal was taken I was looking through my binos and when the shot went off I was what the fk....totally forgotten about them and they were still around my neck...not pleasant things, but as said nobody will tell you not to use them its your choice

I won't even mix words I hate BRAKES with a passion. I have exactly one and it is on a long range rig that the manufacture machined into the barrel and isn't removable. As soon as I shoot out the barrel it will be replaced with a non braked barrel. Understand the benefits on a small rifle for competition IE 338 and smaller but not really needed. Have no place on a DG rifle with the exception of someone with a neck or back injury. Otherwise if you can't deal with the recoil or a 9.3 or bigger stay out of the kitchen. If you are going to use a brake you should be responsible and take good hearing protection for your PH and his team.

Perdurabo, you have a strong point on view here. Are you selling brakes or installing them or what is your angle?
over and over again experienced professionals are giving you the negatives and you are arguing. I don’t understand your persistence

Perdurabo, you have a strong point on view here. Are you selling brakes or installing them or what is your angle?
over and over again experienced professionals are giving you the negatives and you are arguing. I don’t understand your persistence

It's in part due to shooting matches, you are not winning a match without some type of recoil mitigation device. You have too many shots at to many targets in very little time to do it.

I know the sport he plays, have done it for years. He is viewing only the positive aspects as a shooter. Not the negative for everyone else involved. It is an easy thing to do. @Red Leg had probably thought I was a lost cause. He had brought it to my attention more than once the effects to the people around me. I was blinded by my own issues and could/would not take a step back. Once you build relationships with several PHs and they do not know where you stand on brakes and ask them in an honest conversation you will get a honest answer. Some here have, they won't tell you no, if given the choice they would rather you not.

If you are training, I see no problem with it. Blast away get familiar with your platform. When it is time to hunt we owe to everyone around us to do our best to not inflict any more unnecessary headaches then needed.

Last edited:
What makes you so certain your PH would be unwilling to wear hearing protection? I've discussed it with mine and he has no problem with it as long as it's the in-ear electronic variety that won't affect auditory acuity.

I've also got a CZ 550 in .375 H&H and guess what, it's got a brake as well. ALL my rifles larger than a 30-06 have brakes or suppressors, most of them KDF radial brakes. I don't have them on these rifles because I can't shoot the rifles without them, but because why would I experience the excess recoil when I don't have to?

Brakes allow me to shoot more and longer and more comfortably. That means more practice, more confidence, and less likelihood of flinching. Why would I intentionally make it more difficult an unpleasant to shoot when the the solution to the one downside of using them is easily mitigated by hearing protection?
100% perfectly valid argument for practice at the range, just like low recoil loads for training with a DR….. your practicing.

Now apply your same logic to the hunt….

Why would you risk the lifelong hearing damage of those around you with a muzzle brake on a DG hunting situation IF you can do as you say and shoot just as good without a brake?

Also take into account… you are but 1 client to your PH, he has to deal with close quarters gunfire infinitely more than you; so you’re occasional discomfort is his lifelong hearing loss and subsequent loss of life quality.

IF you can shoot them as good without a brake as with the brake….why would you even consider risking someone else’s hearing for the sole purpose of preventing your mild discomfort of the few shots a dangerous game hunt should require?

If you can't handle recoil but want to shoot the big guns at DG in Africa, then you are playing the wrong game.

Not watching this thread anymore because it's boring, borderline trolling but not even interesting enough to be called it. No will have their mind changed (with the possible exception of the OP who can not see past his own wants and needs) by any of the postings here. Have a pleasant evening, I'm going to my vault to admire all my rifles without brakes. :cool:

Using a brake to zero the rifle and then removing for the hunt is a bad idea. Many times the POI can shift, on some rifles significantly, from how it shot with the brake on. If you really need the recoil reduction, a suppressor offers some aid without the risk of firing a braked gun without protection. Just one mistake with a braked rifle can cause a lifetime issues.

Almost all of my rifles have brakes on them. Of course the brake's primary purpose is to serve as a mount for a suppressor. Since getting my suppressors I've rarely fired a rifle round without one. When I finally get to Africa, the brake will be removed before I go. With any luck, I'll be able to either rent or buy an appropriate suppressor while I'm there.

On their own, I really don't like brakes. The only gun I have that has a brake but doesn't have a suppressor is my .308 Lone Eagle pistol. The noise and blast is horrendous, but I imagine the recoil would be pretty stiff without the brake.

What makes you so certain your PH would be unwilling to wear hearing protection? I've discussed it with mine and he has no problem with it as long as it's the in-ear electronic variety that won't affect auditory acuity.

I've also got a CZ 550 in .375 H&H and guess what, it's got a brake as well. ALL my rifles larger than a 30-06 have brakes or suppressors, most of them KDF radial brakes. I don't have them on these rifles because I can't shoot the rifles without them, but because why would I experience the excess recoil when I don't have to?

Brakes allow me to shoot more and longer and more comfortably. That means more practice, more confidence, and less likelihood of flinching. Why would I intentionally make it more difficult an unpleasant to shoot when the the solution to the one downside of using them is easily mitigated by hearing protection?
If that is the case then practice with them but remove when hunting....problem solved.....unless of course the real culprit is the inability to handle the recoil of rifles larger than 30-06......

Using a brake to zero the rifle and then removing for the hunt is a bad idea. Many times the POI can shift, on some rifles significantly, from how it shot with the brake on. If you really need the recoil reduction, a suppressor offers some aid without the risk of firing a braked gun without protection. Just one mistake with a braked rifle can cause a lifetime issues.
If recoil as mentioned is not the issue then just resight after removal.....simple.
A suppressor on a 458Lott DG rifle in the African bush.....

If you can't handle the Recoil downsize the Caliber.

If you can't handle the Recoil downsize the Caliber.
Or you get a quality recoil pad, a padded shooting vest and make darned sure the rifle is shouldered properly and this whole issue disappears. I am no he- man by any means and I am 71. Doing the above, I shoot my .458 win, .416 Rigby and .375 weekly to monthly in range conditions, seated or from sticks and find this tolerable. Hell, shooting these things ( including the .22’s, .38’s etc.) is my pastime. It is not “ man up”, it is “ smarten up” and be considerate to your hunting party.
And before you ask, I hunt boar hogs in Florida with them. Too decrepit for the Caprivi strip now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasovWoogy

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg