Modern Muzzle Brakes

perdurabo

AH member
Reaction score
Let's talk muzzle brakes (again) on dangerous game big bore rifles. It's been an article of faith for a long time that one should not use a brake on a big bore dangerous game hunting rifle because PHs and guides will at least hate you for it if not outright ban it from their hunts due to the seriously loud and concussive muzzle blast they produce. Only, it appears this attitude is changing.

With so many of "Gun Culture 2.0" coming into hunting from the long range rifle competition world muzzle brakes are de rigueur, they are insisting on using them in the field, especially on heavy recoiling rifles. Also, given that quality advanced in-ear electronic hearing protection has become more affordable that lasts all day and generally improves natural hearing (even with wind) on top of protecting from loud noises, one has very little excuse these days for not wearing ear pro in the field.

You can say that one needs to "man up" and take that recoil, but when the hunting market demands reducing recoil and mitigating flinching by using muzzle brakes, the market needs to respond to it, even if it means guides and PHs have to start wearing proper ear pro in the field. Less flinching and more muzzle control means better marksmanship on first shots and faster follow-up shots. Having to wear $400 electronic ear pro is a small price to pay for that, especially when you're on a $10k+ dangerous game hunt.

So, for those that do use muzzle brakes, the traditional brakes you get on hunting rifles tend to be of the radial port type because they are easier to install (no indexing) and can be made seamless/flush with the barrel profile. However, modern side-ported directional brakes tend to offer more recoil reduction even if they tend to be a bit longer and heavier.

Has anyone tried to fit a modern 45 caliber directional brake (likely one originally meant for a 458 SOCOM AR) to something like a bolt action 458 Lott? What are the trade-offs with using a longer/heavier modern directional brake on a dangerous game heavy rifle?

So, coming from the competition shooting world. All my rifles have brakes. I would never shoot a suppressor and always listened to the guys that did run them bitch about the guys that ran brakes. 15 years later I started getting into suppressors, now I know why all they guys were complaining. No all my comp rifles have suppressors, all with the exception of my 22lr.

Have read about the guys on here saying what you have above. The PHs taking exception to it. I have neck issues, for that reason I wanted to run a brake. I also started off with a 375h&h, after I was comfortable shooting it. Stepped up to a 416REM, that's what I hunted my buffalo with. After what happened on my buffalo, I wanted more energy. A good deal popped up and found a 458Lott. So that's what I have now.

All that to say, when people suggested shooting a 375h&h. It was not to say you could/should not take a 700NE. It is to make sure you put the first round where it needs to go. If you are flinching with a 458 maybe you should step down a size or two until you can comfortably shot the 458.

The directional brakes are more efficient no doubt about that. The tradeoff is being the guy in camp that is causing hearing lose to the whole hunting team. The concussion coming from the sides of your rifle is going to suck for everyone except you. Agree you can get all the guys in the party hearing protection (they do have the extra for it). Then they loose the ability to listen after the shot to tell the direction you prize animal just went in. That is if they can recover quickly enough from the blast. Then think if they actually had to make a follow-up shot at something charging. I know what it's like getting blasted in the face from 6mm and 6.5mm, I would not want to be next to you shooting a 458Lott.

You will probably not hear much from the PH, they are professionals. Just because you don't ear it doesn't mean he and the team are not thinking it.

That's just the thing, in every guided hunt I've ever been on in the US and Africa, there was always ample opportunity on each shot for the PH/guide and trackers (if present) to all plug their ears with their fingers while I was setting up the shot. Now, in a dangerous game situation, I can see where there may not be time for that, especially if the PH is lending support to the shooter by holding sticks or holding binoculars.

On my last guided nilgai hunt in south Texas, I wore a $500 pair on Peltor in-ear devices that worked almost exactly like hearing aids. Lasted all day, and get recharged in its case just like ear buds overnight. In that case, I was hunting with a .300 Win Mag with a brake and my guide was also carrying a 300 win mag with a brake. When it came time to shoot, he plugged his ears with his fingers and never complained, even with follow up shots.

I think bringing a set of ear pro for at least your PH in addition to yourself is not at all a hardship. Let him keep them as a tip if he likes them.

I have no experience on your question Perdurabo. My largest bolt gun is a .375H&H, I have it threaded so that when I target practice, I use a brake and an additional slip on butt pad, then when I hunt, I take those off. I too have a very weak neck from a major car accident, so I am recoil sensitive. I purchased hearing protection by OtoPro, all in I had 400.00 in these hearing devices, it blocks out the noise but still allows me to hear my guide.

You seem concerned about the PH’s hearing. What about everyone else?

I would assume that everyone else who might be close enough to the shooter to have their hearing damaged would probably have at least one free and useable finger on each hand, but that would probably be something I would discuss with the PH before embarking.

I would assume that everyone else who might be close enough to the shooter to have their hearing damaged would probably have at least one free and useable finger on each hand, but that would probably be something I would discuss with the PH before embarking.
I could MAYBE see that in a PG situation but not DG

Are you going to bring hearing protection for all involved?
Bringing hearing protection for a crew and your self can’t protect you from a brake
because the bones in your face relay the energy blast from the gun and damage the cochlear in your head
plugs fingers, muffs help some but not enough

Bringing hearing protection for a crew and your self can’t protect you from a brake
because the bones in your face relay the energy blast from the gun and damage the cochlear in your head
plugs fingers, muffs help some but not enough

What?

I, along with multiple people have stood within 10 feet of someone shooting a 50BMG with a brake multiple times with only ear plugs and while the concussion was impressive, there was no hearing or any other damage done whatsoever. Can you provide proof that such an effect exists?

Muzzle breaks have ruined many rifles and many ear drums

Imagine those teddy Roosevelt pictures and his beautiful Griffin and Howe sported a big directional Fuzzle break .

When I see a hunter show up with muzzle breaks I immediately look down on him. Thats just the truth. Just how I feel

What?

I, along with multiple people have stood within 10 feet of someone shooting a 50BMG with a brake multiple times with only ear plugs and while the concussion was impressive, there was no hearing or any other damage done whatsoever. Can you provide proof that such an effect exists?

I have shot thousands up thousands of rounds with plugs only and can tell you first hand plugs are not enough. Their are plenty of pros that now use double hearing protection because of it.

I guess I'm a traditionalist. A properly designed and balanced rifle that fits you and is properly shouldered, whether bolt or double, in 375 H&H or larger, doesn't create that much felt recoil in the field when you are hunting. Further, you aren't going to be shooting round after round after round, except maybe on the bench at the range--not while hunting. So, I guess I have to wonder what's the purpose of the muzzle brake when hunting dangerous game, or plains game for that matter--muzzle brake on a 300 caliber or smaller rifle? Huh?
I can understand it for competition, long range shooting on a range. Not in the field pursuing game.
As for your PH, he will take care of his hearing when you are shooting.

I guess I'm a traditionalist. A properly designed and balanced rifle that fits you and is properly shouldered, whether bolt or double, in 375 H&H or larger, doesn't create that much felt recoil in the field when you are hunting. Further, you aren't going to be shooting round after round after round, except maybe on the bench at the range--not while hunting. So, I guess I have to wonder what's the purpose of the muzzle brake when hunting dangerous game, or plains game for that matter--muzzle brake on a 300 caliber or smaller rifle? Huh?
I can understand it for competition, long range shooting on a range. Not in the field pursuing game.
As for your PH, he will take care of his hearing when you are shooting.

The advantages are clear: less likelihood of developing a flinch from repeated practice and faster follow up shots from decreased muzzle rise. A suppressor would be ideal, but they are a pain in the butt to deal with legally in the US and they make the rifle far too long and unwieldy. A brake's noise and blast can be mitigated easily with proper modern in-ear hearing protection that still preserves auditory acuity. There's no reason NOT to use it apart from wanting to gain the approval of fussy old traditionalists who for some reason like to beat themselves up more than is necessary.

What?

“”
According to the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA), most firearms generate a noise level of over 140 dB (decibels). That’s the level at which damage to your hearing starts to occur. A .22 caliber rifle registers at about 140 dB, a 12 gauge shotgun can hit 155 dB, a 9mm produces 159.8 dB, and a big-bore rifle, along with other pistols, reaches noise levels of over 175 dB. A long list of other firearms can be found here. In addition, the environment where the shooting takes place can contribute to even higher noise levels, such as the gunshot bouncing off the walls or other structures. Those loud sounds produce energy waves that hit your inner ear. They rattle the eardrum, small bones, and cochlea. When those pieces get rattled enough to experience damage, you’ll most likely start losing your ability to hear.

Right now, you may just experience ringing or a temporary clogged feeling after you submit your ears to loud noise. But the more you submit your ears to that damage, the less likely that feeling is to be temporary.””

consult your physician for more specific information

lol a 50bmg will break your windshield from concussion when shot off a vehicle hood

a muzzle break acualy cause more flinching when proper protection isn’t worn , and will
even cause other people @ a shooting range to flinch when a neighboring person fires a rifle with a brake

Last edited:
I'm waiting on this one because I'm not sure if it's troll or not. :A Popcorn:

I don't care about your reasons, I will not hunt Africa with a brake or with someone who does.

EDIT - I will amend my previous statement after 22 minutes of reflection...realizing that there is absolutely no need for me to hunt with a brake in any situation. What you choose to do is your choice.

Last edited:
have you ever hunted in Africa?

have you ever hunted in Africa?

Yes, and as I mentioned, on every single shot I made on my plains game hunt, I had time to put in my ear pro before shooting and both my PHs and the trackers had time to plug their ears.

I'll grant that in a dangerous game hunt that may not be possible, but if you and anyone else who may be holding a rifle or doing something else with their hands while the client shoots is wearing ear protection, that shouldn't be an issue.

Can we not fixate on whether one should use a brake at all and concentrate on my main question as to whether anyone has had luck with directional brakes vs radial brakes on large bore rifles like the 458 Lott?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg