Model 70 Safari Express - Safety Issues?

I know a gunmaker who was once told a model 70 bolt has a weakness, which is that the handle is soldered on a spline and that he (the guy, a PH) had seen one come off under duress. The gunmaker had never seen nor heard of this issue ever happening (and he had built a LOT of Model 70s). About a month later he was working on one and felt something weird while working the action - sure enough the handle was loose, the solder washer that was normally placed on the spline before heating was left off and the handle became loose. He has pinned every handle to the bolt body on every model 70 through the shop since then.

Crap can and does happen. Doesn’t mean it happens a lot, but it does happen.

Your guy doesn't know what he is talking about.

Is there a place on this site where I can sell my custom pre-64 M70 375HH and 270Win?

Agree with all the previous posts. My FN Model 70 has never given me any problems. You might want to look into getting a new "gun guy."

Have several and had zero issues - as other s have stated - anything CAN break but from experience and my friends and family with the same rifles none of us have seen this issue

I own 5 Model 70s and have owned a few more. Pre 64, post 64, New Haven built and Portugal built. Zero safety-related problems. One, a New Haven custom shop gun no less, wouldn’t feed properly. My gunsmith, who is the Midwest’s authorized Winchester warranty shop, fixed it easily.

I don’t know how many M70s I’ve had now. One reason I prefer them is the 3 position safety. I’ve never had one go bad nor know anyone who has.

Is there a place on this site where I can sell my custom pre-64 M70 375HH and 270Win?

Easy enough to replace w/ better aftermarket in the event it does. Not the end of the world. The only "safety" issues I've ever had w/ multiple generations of M70s is when the "shadetree/midnight gunsmith would-be" begins filing on the trigger (to smooth out/lighten the pull weight) and fails to remove the same amount of material from the sear. And then, as it's all connected, you Have safety issues. IF a safety broke in the field, simply keep rounds out of the chamber until the moment of truth. LOL due to the aforementioned "Dem school of Gunsmithing" advanced techniques applied on used guns acquired in the past, it typically results in the safety not working (always being in the Fire position, but sometimes results in the gun always being on safe, not being able to fire.) Easy fixes all the 'way round. Enjoy.

Thank you. I joined a few minutes before and looked for "classifieds" along the top tool bar and couldn't see a prompt. I live on the water in SW Florida and I am still in hurricane shock.

Thank you. I joined a few minutes before and looked for "classifieds" along the top tool bar and couldn't see a prompt. I live on the water in SW Florida and I am still in hurricane shock.
No problem! I imagine! I hope you and yours are doing as well as can be and recover sooner rather than later

I currently own seven Model 70's from various era's, pre 64 to current production with one being the 375H&H Safari Express in question .............I would humbly submit that you need a new "gun guy".

hi all,

i am in the process of buying a model 70 safari express in 375 h&h. great gun carrying a lot of history. easy enough, right?

here is the glitch. my gun guy said: dont do it!

his rationale: there are issues with the safety. so my question is: have you recently acquired a model 70 safari express? could you please share your experiences?

thank you very much in advance!
I’ll play both sides of this one. The models made between 64-69 I believe had some safety issues from lube, etc drying inside etc and making the safeties hard to move, especially going from fire to the middle position. I have a 1970 express 375 sitting on my bench right now that I’m buying from a coworker. The safety will not come off of “fire” unless the bolt handle is lifted slightly. I’m still buying it. It’s a great rifle and can be easily fixed. So, if the price is right, don’t get talked out of buying one you want. They are worth it, even if you need to do a little safety work. As others have said, the model 70 may have the best sporting rifle safety there is. Hope that helps!

thanks again, guys, i pulled the trigger on this one a few hours ago and will receive it in about four weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg