Minimum caliber for Zebra?

Shot placement Shot placement Shot placement! It will do the job but bigger would not hurt!

You should have no problems with the Swede and premium ammo. Hit the " triangle" dead centre and your zebra should be down within 50 meters. Zebra can take a beating if a shot is placed poorly, you will be in for a long day and many miles.

Can it be done,yes. Is it ideal, no. A Zebra can be very tough, especially on a less desirable shot. They don't stop for a dog as easy as a Kudu, Bushbuck or most other plains game either.

Can be done for sure but may need to pass on a few shots to get the perfect one.

My son took his with a 25-06 was dead with in 50 yds but it was a standard broadside shot at 80 yds.

I took one with a 300 win mag that ran 1/4 mile till I got another shot in him. My shot was 280 yds up hill and I only hit one lung because of the hard up hill angle. I would have never taken that shot with 25-06. The zebra would have died from the first shot but would have been more tracking for sure.

I think zebra is one of the must underrated trophies in toughest and how fun they are to hunt.

Billc good to see you are up and at it this morning!

You should be just fine. As others have said shot placement and good bullets. I suggest Swift A-Frames.
My daughter took a nice one with her 257Roberts with my handloaded 120gr Swift A-Frames at close to 200 yards. One shot and it ran into a tree 40 yards away. It was running dead.

As said above shotplacement is vital! any calibre from 270 Win and up with premium bullets will get the job done!

^^^ But 25cal worked just fine for us. Not only Zebra but Kudu, Red Hartebeest, Warthogs, Impalas were all one shot no tracking kills.
"I PERSONALLY" would rather use a 25cal or 6.5mm than a 270. I will not even own a 270.

"Shot placement" minimum calibre 7 x 57, recommended calibre 30 06 and 7mm Rem Mag.
Witold

This ^. All with heavier for calibre projectiles.
7mm with 154/160+
.30 with 180+

165 Woodleigh PPSN from a .308W with 85% weight retention. Perfect shoulder shot on a young, yet mature male zebra . Impact range was less than 50 metres. Dead in 30 metres so can't complain but I always felt something with a bit more 'whomp' would not have gone astray.

Attachments

• Zebra.jpg
    Zebra.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 345
  • Zebra2.jpg
    Zebra2.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 338
Shot lots of zebra with a .270. Bullet type is more important and if you're using a lighter caliber like a 6.5mms or even .270 you want a bullet that gets maximum penetration. Not one that opens quickly and breaks apart before penetrating. Like Marius said, zebra are tough but shoot them well and they're not tough at all.

Here is "the rest of the story":
Tried to get my daughter interested in hunting/shooting when she was younger (10-12); she had no desire at that time. While she was in college, she asked me to teach her how to shoot a handgun, and I willingly obliged. I even bought her a handgun (Charter arms .38 special), and a few weekends ago she asked me about teaching her how to shoot a rifle. I was curious as to why, and the answer somewhat surprised me.......she said she wants to take a zebra. I tried to get her to come along as an observer on my first trip, but she declined, and I think she regrets it. At any rate, I know she is somewhat recoil sensitive, so my intention was to start her out with my air rifle first, then the .22LR, then .22 magnum, and then the next step up in my arsenal is the 6.5x55. I do have a .30-06 and would like her to use that, but that might not be an option.......but then we will see. We have time.....

Yes, I know something "bigger" would be "better"; if it were just me, I'd use my .338 Win. mag and be done with it......but sometimes life ain't so simple.;)

Hopefully taking two this year twins want bedcovers ........ will be using my 8mm remington with 196gr woodleigh loaded near to max .......

Used 170gr on wildebeest cull last year all dropped to the shot

Last edited:
Here is "the rest of the story":
Tried to get my daughter interested in hunting/shooting when she was younger (10-12); she had no desire at that time. While she was in college, she asked me to teach her how to shoot a handgun, and I willingly obliged. I even bought her a handgun (Charter arms .38 special), and a few weekends ago she asked me about teaching her how to shoot a rifle. I was curious as to why, and the answer somewhat surprised me.......she said she wants to take a zebra. I tried to get her to come along as an observer on my first trip, but she declined, and I think she regrets it. At any rate, I know she is somewhat recoil sensitive, so my intention was to start her out with my air rifle first, then the .22LR, then .22 magnum, and then the next step up in my arsenal is the 6.5x55. I do have a .30-06 and would like her to use that, but that might not be an option.......but then we will see. We have time.....

Yes, I know something "bigger" would be "better"; if it were just me, I'd use my .338 Win. mag and be done with it......but sometimes life ain't so simple.;)

If you can legally put a silencer on the 3006 (sadly I can't) it will kick the crap out of the recoil as well as muzzle blast. Win win for your daughter

With the reason of your daughter just starting out I would use that 6.6 x55 and not worry about it. The more relaxed she is when taken the shot and not worrying about the gun kicking the stuffing out of her the better. The right shot comes along and she hits it right it is just as dead with that gun as the 30-06.

The biggest step will be getting her shooting good off of the sticks once she is ready.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois