Mauser M18 v. M12 Compare?

Did I miss something or is « hoohaw » some kind of technical term? :)

SIG Sauer or the Lüke & Ortmeier group has different rifles at different grades.

The m18 is the lowest price point from Mauser and the current production M98's are the highest.

When originally launched the M12 was in the $1500 American price point.

The M18 originally launched at around $650 US.

Mauser did the introductions and then pushed more options and a higher price point.

They of course have different features, but most of those features are based on the cost to manufacture.

The stock on the M18 is of lower quality than the stock on the M12. The receiver of the m12 has a more beautiful, user friendly (can load from the bolt port or the magazine) and expensive to produce system.

The M18 is a Remington 788 or Savage Axis.

The M12 is a Remington 700 or Savage 110.

Either one would be a surviceable rifle.
While I agree that the M18 is the low end of the market I couldn't agree that the M12 is like a Rem700 which I have owned plenty of.

I currently have a Mauser M12 Expert chambered in 30-06, trigger is awesome, fine cut chequering and stock work fit and finish is perfect, grip cap and ebony tip with grade 5 walnut and the craftsmanship is next level for a factory rifle. Metal work and finish is for the price superb.

Now I own and like the Remington 700 for sentimental reasons and my long range rifle is a rem700 in 300WM but they are pretty crappy these days and are definitely a budget rifle, triggers are rubbish, stocks are very ordinary, fit and finish is non-existent and you have to customise everything on them to make them what they should be considering the price. Simply trading on their name for the last 20 years.
Comparinging the two (which I own and am a fan of both) is like comparing my Blaser/Makura takedown with the new straight pull Savage or Beretta - No match.

What???? Sacrilege!!! How can Mauser offer any rifle and not chamber for 7x57 and 8x57.
Straight from the Mauser website - M12 : see below and they REALLY like 30-06 so it gets a mention twice over 8x57 remains and they have dropped 7x57 for 7x64 (not really a loss)
Calibre:.243 Win., .270 Win., .308 Win., .30-06, .30-06, 7 mm Rem. Mag., .300 Win. Mag., 6,5x55SE, 7x64, 8x57IS, 9,3x62

Straight from the Mauser website - M12 : see below and they REALLY like 30-06 so it gets a mention twice over 8x57 remains and they have dropped 7x57 for 7x64 (not really a loss)
Calibre:.243 Win., .270 Win., .308 Win., .30-06, .30-06, 7 mm Rem. Mag., .300 Win. Mag., 6,5x55SE, 7x64, 8x57IS, 9,3x62
Damn sellouts!!!

Damn sellouts!!!
Although I agree the 7x64 is a great cartridge, the 7x57 is much more useful in many situations, especially on an African hunt where you may be taking some small furry critters that you'd rather not blow to smithereens, and some larger PG for which the 7x57 is quite capable of at typical ranges for much of Africa.

If you want a 7x57 in Europe, without breaking the bank, you can buy a Voere 98 action rifle or a Sabatti Rover. The 7x64 Brenneke also has the historic advantage, in parts of Europe, that it is not a former military cartridge and therefore ownership is not specifically prohibited or restricted by law.

Think you got the wrong end of the stick adrian...never said it wasn't suitable....just got it to see what it was like as so many use it...but as I said it doesn't excite me same as a 375....nothing wrong with its suitability or how effective it is.... :D Beers:
I completely understand. I have a Browning lever action in 358 Winchester that I like very much. The caliber is much the same as my 9x56 MS in a 1905 Mannlicher Schoenauer but I love hunting with the Mannlicher.

Doesn't the M18 have a plastic trigger housing? I like everything about the gun , but I won't own one unless that is steel or aluminum.

I absolutely loathe anything plastic on a gun. Plastic is not better or stronger just cheaper and prone to breakage when thinner.

Well, I ultimately ended up with both, an M18 in 6.5 Creedmoor and an M12 Expert in 8X57JS. I took both out this past deer season, the M12 being my primary and the M18 the backup. Both are dead-nuts accurate rifles, handle well and meet similar, but different purposes. I'm pretty happy with both of them actually.

Price-wise, the M18 seems competitive while the M12, while really nicely made has the Mauser premium price.

Although I agree the 7x64 is a great cartridge, the 7x57 is much more useful in many situations, especially on an African hunt where you may be taking some small furry critters that you'd rather not blow to smithereens, and some larger PG for which the 7x57 is quite capable of at typical ranges for much of Africa.
I really like both cartridges but, for my use I've never needed the higher velocity of the 7x64. So, being a handloader, I loaded my 7x64 to the same velocity range of my 7x57. ;)

I have a pair M12,
Ki would like buy only high grade o expert wood butt, but they said me that it's impossible, they don't sell only the butt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.