AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, South Africa
So work has been fairly slow, so I've been killing time here on the inter-web, and have a question for all you Mauser experts out there. Are there actions to stay clear of, or are most commercial makes of reasonable quality?

So work has been fairly slow, so I've been killing time here on the inter-web, and have a question for all you Mauser experts out there. Are there actions to stay clear of, or are most commercial makes of reasonable quality?

Depends what you intend doing with the action or rifle.

Are you looking to build a rifle on such an action or looking to buy a existing rifle?

Small ring Mauser actions are not as strong as the large ring. Actions built before the war are believed to be of better quality material and workmanship.

There are newer Mauser style actions that are stronger and better in my opinion to use as a platform for a custom rifle. Rigby have been using the big Brno actions for their large bores for years.

The best answer I can provide you with is the following:
Purchase this Mauser shop manual, everything you ever needed will be in this book.
The Mauser M91 through M98 BoltActions : As shop manual by Jerry Kuhnausen.
elmX6VT.jpg

Attachments

• elmX6VT.jpg
    elmX6VT.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 695
Depends what you intend doing with the action or rifle.

Are you looking to build a rifle on such an action or looking to buy a existing rifle?

Small ring Mauser actions are not as strong as the large ring. Actions built before the war are believed to be of better quality material and workmanship.

There are newer Mauser style actions that are stronger and better in my opinion to use as a platform for a custom rifle. Rigby have been using the big Brno actions for their large bores for years.

I'm looking for a rifle to fill the gap between my .270 and .375H&H. Naturally the .300H&H seems to a perfect little brother. It would most likely be a build, I have found magnum Zastava actions for sale here north of the border, as well as CZ's.

There are Huskvarna rifles for sale on the cheap, but nothing that will accommodate the long cartridge.

The other boards are all over the map on which actions are good, and which to stay away from, which leads me to believe that means they are all decent, and all have their idiosyncrasies.

I know that there are some pretty knowledgable members on here that can shed some light!

Can't beat a new CZ 550 for price quality and availability.

Yip. For a 300 H&H Magnum build I would look at a CZ 550 magnum action or better a ZKK 602 if you can find one. Zastava could be a little soft in the steel which does not make for the smoothest feeding(so I have heard).

Would agree with above - 550 or 602. For the 300 H&H, the 550 can be made into an elegant and yet brutally strong rifle.

I have been fairly impressed with my 550 in .375 H&H, so I have no doubt it would be a good starting block for a new build.

The '98 Mauser action can be used for long cartridges such as the H&H series, but doing so requires machining away some of the lower lug and the rear of the receiver opening, for a total of about 3/16ths of an inch. then the bottom metal needs to be opened for the longer cartridges. This expansion means that the stock will need to be inletted for the larger magazine. all of this, particularly the metalwork needs to be done by someone that is familiar with the process. If I were set on having a Mauser 98 chambered for 300 H&H I'd watch the various sites and local stores, watching for a used Browning Safari 300 H&H.

I'm looking for a rifle to fill the gap between my .270 and .375H&H. Naturally the .300H&H seems to a perfect little brother. It would most likely be a build, I have found magnum Zastava actions for sale here north of the border, as well as CZ's.

There are Huskvarna rifles for sale on the cheap, but nothing that will accommodate the long cartridge.

The other boards are all over the map on which actions are good, and which to stay away from, which leads me to believe that means they are all decent, and all have their idiosyncrasies.

I know that there are some pretty knowledgable members on here that can shed some light!
The 300 IMHO is a waste of time, powder and shoulder ache,,unless your goal is large deer species over 250yds, it will only underperform a 30-06 in terms of excessive power, wear, recoil, meat damage, etc..

Hell, for large deer at long range, shoot a light bullet in you 375 or a stout pill in your 270.

I'd say 30-06 but you have a 270..or 9.3x62 but you have a 375......

Therefore, and in order to use a good classic pre war m98 oberndorf or DWM action (hint hint!!!)..and build a real classic chambering good for a real mix of hunting, I'd say build an 8x57,,maybe stutzen even.

The best answer I can provide you with is the following:
Purchase this Mauser shop manual, everything you ever needed will be in this book.
The Mauser M91 through M98 BoltActions : As shop manual by Jerry Kuhnausen.
elmX6VT.jpg

Great book...highly recommend!

If you're looking for a good action to use seek out the 1909 Argentine M98. It's got the best bottom metal of the bunch. As for something between the 270 Winchester and 375 H&H, think .338-06. It's enough more than a 270, not quite a 375, is no longer a wildcat and will work like a charm in a standard length M98.

If you can find something on an FN Commercial, that would be great!

You guys here on AH forum praise the cz 550 action. I used to own one magnum in 300 wm (stupid buy, i know. I was young and lacked money but had to own a 300wm))).
And still own a cz550 in 30-06.

Compared to old highend 98s or sauer 90/202 which i had my hands on, the cz needs substantial work to be done on improving the "slickness and smoothness" of the action.

And a cz550 has a 2-position trigger safety. A 98 blocks the firing pin and has a third position to disassemble/unload.

Unfortunately, the US-made 3-position bolt shroud safeties for 550s are not available neither in Germany, nor in Kazakhstan. I would have bought one and the particular rifle would leave my gunsafe more often )))

To answer your original question, yes there are actions to steer clear of. For example some 1909 Argentine Mausers were soft and suffered bolt setback, no biggie if you are building a 30-06 size rifle as bolt setback on that size round would take thousands of rounds to re-establish and can again be cleaned up when a new barrel is fitted. I wouldn't make a .404 or similar out of one unless it was re-hardned. 1909's are popular for their hinged floorplate as well. VZ24's are top notch actions for making custom rifles. And small ring 98 Mausers are great for .275 Rigby size rifles and are stronger than some people think (they were made out of very good Swedish steel). If I was to make a big bore rifle out of a military 98 it would be a FN undoubtedly. I have a list of what Mausers 98's are good for what and what their pros and cons are and it's a good read, but unfortunately I don't have it on me to elaborate more. I'm in the process of building a .275 Rigby on a Erfurt 1916 short action and a .318 Westly Richards on a 1909 Argentine. My next build after I restock my .404 on a Brno 602, finish my Lee Speed sporter look alike, refurbish an original Lee Speed sporter and fit a new stock will be a .416 Taylor on the FN 98 action. Although being rather time poor nowadays, I might be very old by then.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-14 at 7.12.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-14 at 7.12.05 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 174
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg