AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA
Hunted
Namibia, R.S.A., Alaska, Idaho, Wyoming, Michigan, Missouri, California, Florida
Just read an article by Darren Taylor in the Epoch Times. I will try to link it here, but not sure if people will be able to see it easily without a subscription. Just wondering what some of our SA members have to say? I always like to hear from the "man on the street" so to speak. Here is the link about the upcoming March 20 national shutdown.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/us-wa...ness-leaders-predict-arab-spring_5105818.html

I don't know a single hunting outfitter that will not do his utmost to ensure the safety of his clients whilst in South Africa, or everywhere else in Africa where hunting is taking place, for that matter. Having said that, civil unrest such as what is being referred to in the article is becoming more widespread and more violent in South Africa. It was one of the main reasons why my wife and I packed our bags and moved to Australia in 2022 when we were offered the opportunity to do so.

South Africa is unfortunately headed for an Armageddon of sorts in the near future as the ruling party is clearly in trouble and the thieving gangsters still insist on getting their slice of the pie, not caring that the money really is running out and the country's economy is in trouble. This does not bode well for the country or the people of South Africa.

As a visiting hunter, clearing customs should be a priority, as should be getting and staying out of the cities. Once in the hunting area, there shouldn't be any trouble at all.

Whether the 20 March "shutdown" will spark major unrest remains to be seen. I think it will be a major inconvenience in some areas, and less so in other areas such as the Western Cape. The next big hurdle, however, will be the general election next year. If the ruling party gets a backhand at the polling booths, it will be interesting (one way of putting it) to see what they do. Just about no African government has ever relinquished power voluntarily, and this government's tentacles have spread just about right through the whole fabric of South Africa. Interesting times, as the Chinese say.

I don't know a single hunting outfitter that will not do his utmost to ensure the safety of his clients whilst in South Africa, or everywhere else in Africa where hunting is taking place, for that matter. Having said that, civil unrest such as what is being referred to in the article is becoming more widespread and more violent in South Africa. It was one of the main reasons why my wife and I packed our bags and moved to Australia in 2022 when we were offered the opportunity to do so.

South Africa is unfortunately headed for an Armageddon of sorts in the near future as the ruling party is clearly in trouble and the thieving gangsters still insist on getting their slice of the pie, not caring that the money really is running out and the country's economy is in trouble. This does not bode well for the country or the people of South Africa.

As a visiting hunter, clearing customs should be a priority, as should be getting and staying out of the cities. Once in the hunting area, there shouldn't be any trouble at all.

Whether the 20 March "shutdown" will spark major unrest remains to be seen. I think it will be a major inconvenience in some areas, and less so in other areas such as the Western Cape. The next big hurdle, however, will be the general election next year. If the ruling party gets a backhand at the polling booths, it will be interesting (one way of putting it) to see what they do. Just about no African government has ever relinquished power voluntarily, and this government's tentacles have spread just about right through the whole fabric of South Africa. Interesting times, as the Chinese say.
Thanks for sharing your insight. I couldn't read the article.

Just read an article by Darren Taylor in the Epoch Times. I will try to link it here, but not sure if people will be able to see it easily without a subscription. Just wondering what some of our SA members have to say? I always like to hear from the "man on the street" so to speak. Here is the link about the upcoming March 20 national shutdown.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/us-wa...ness-leaders-predict-arab-spring_5105818.html
Unfortunately I wasn't able to read the article but thank you for sharing. I am deeply conserned about South Africa and all that is going on. Sue

I hope she is doing well!

Julius Malema and the EFF seem fun......
Gosh, I love Africa so much. I hate seeing this. I heard lots of horror stories about South Africa when we were in Mozambique (our PH lives in South Africa) but we haven't spent any real time there. We landed at Johannesburg and flew out the next morning.

Let’s just hope it doesn’t turn into another Durban rioting and looting situation. I was on the ground for that and my experiences led me to move to the UK. It pays to be prepared so I hope everyone back in SA has plans in place to defend businesses and homes, and also some emergency supplies of food etc, and don’t count on any outside assistance. Any mass protests will no doubt turn into a free for all in the urban areas. As a visiting hunter out in the bush you are probably in the safest place there is.

Extremely sensationalist article. Yes, a national "shutdown" is coming on Monday but to say it has any potential to reach Arab-Spring levels of unrest is hilarious. If anyone had a decent insight into South African politics, you'd know that the EFF is all bark but no bite. Whenever they're actually challenged on the ground their morale crumbles and they flee. They're essentially the ANC's paid opposition at this point.

The orchestrators of the July 2021 riots were NOT the EFF, but the RET faction. The army has already been put on standby just incase things get ugly. Sorry for getting angry but sensationalism in regards to South Africa just pisses me off nowadays. Having to listen to people's idiotic ramblings on a WhatsApp community group every week has seriously strained my and many other people's patience.

That said, I appreciate @Arctic97 for asking how it is here on the ground.

Last edited:
Sooo… what a topic…

Africa has African problems, I am forever optimistic and hopeful and I love Africa and living in South Africa. Currently we do have allot of challenges and frustrations within the country, protests are not uncommon in South Africa and as a matter of fact they will protest anything given the chance.

I am heading to the O.R Thambo international airport on Monday and I hope for an uneventful drive, this being said, If you are heading into South Africa on Monday it might be advisable to speak to your outfitter, they will have a contingency plan in place if travel would not be possible, I too have made similar plans to be able to avoid situations if something does come up. I have read several reports as anyone that lives in S.A has I’m sure, but you can expect police presence (for what it’s worth) and even military presence.

This particular political party is actually getting just what they want, attention…They focus their propaganda on the ill informed and the poor and they do have quite a strong support. Thrill seeking journalism won’t help. What they underestimate are the implications of their actions in sending out this message to the world, for a country that is dependant on a tourism industry. For hunters that are here, hunting is probably the best thing you could be doing.

We live in a rural community and that also makes a big difference, we have community policing to support the police and they have also made arrangements for protests. As stated in a post above we are yet to see what happens on Monday.

I for one prefer to stay away from the doom and gloom but to each their own, I also understand why some choose to relocate, if I sit outside, listening to the sounds of the bush, or next to a fire at night with all the sounds of the night or tracking on a hot day with sweat and dust or even just go for a long walk, this is when I’m at my happiest and it’s something special to experience. Does living here come with a long list of cons, maybe, but nowhere is perfect. Is it terrible to see government making a big fat mess of things? Yes of course, most of them seem to be doing this anyway.

We will see what the future holds for us and we can only pray for this country but until then, I’ll be out there, hunting and doing what I enjoy most.

Kind regards
Aj Fourie.

Sooo… what a topic…

Africa has African problems, I am forever optimistic and hopeful and I love Africa and living in South Africa. Currently we do have allot of challenges and frustrations within the country, protests are not uncommon in South Africa and as a matter of fact they will protest anything given the chance.

I am heading to the O.R Thambo international airport on Monday and I hope for an uneventful drive, this being said, If you are heading into South Africa on Monday it might be advisable to speak to your outfitter, they will have a contingency plan in place if travel would not be possible, I too have made similar plans to be able to avoid situations if something does come up. I have read several reports as anyone that lives in S.A has I’m sure, but you can expect police presence (for what it’s worth) and even military presence.

This particular political party is actually getting just what they want, attention…They focus their propaganda on the ill informed and the poor and they do have quite a strong support. Thrill seeking journalism won’t help. What they underestimate are the implications of their actions in sending out this message to the world, for a country that is dependant on a tourism industry. For hunters that are here, hunting is probably the best thing you could be doing.

We live in a rural community and that also makes a big difference, we have community policing to support the police and they have also made arrangements for protests. As stated in a post above we are yet to see what happens on Monday.

I for one prefer to stay away from the doom and gloom but to each their own, I also understand why some choose to relocate, if I sit outside, listening to the sounds of the bush, or next to a fire at night with all the sounds of the night or tracking on a hot day with sweat and dust or even just go for a long walk, this is when I’m at my happiest and it’s something special to experience. Does living here come with a long list of cons, maybe, but nowhere is perfect. Is it terrible to see government making a big fat mess of things? Yes of course, most of them seem to be doing this anyway.

We will see what the future holds for us and we can only pray for this country but until then, I’ll be out there, hunting and doing what I enjoy most.

Kind regards
Aj Fourie.
A lot of common sense there.

Out of interest, which do you think is the most objective source of news in South Africa? I occasionally read the Daily Maverick online and have picked up a paper copy in South Africa. I realise it has a strong anti hunting bias though and South African friends don't seem to think much of it.

I read South African news on my computer, and with Zimbabwe news.

here is what i have read:

S.Africa to heighten security as opposition plans strike: Ramaphosa

President Cyril Ramaphosa warned Thursday that South Africa's security forces would protect the country from "disorder and anarchy" after a leftwing party called for a nationwide strike next week to try to force him out.

The country's third largest party, the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF), has called for a "national shutdown" next Monday.

It is demanding Ramaphosa's resignation for his handling of South Africa's sickly economy, electricity shortages and stratospheric unemployment.

Speaking at a news conference in Pretoria during a state visit by Tanzanian President Samia Suluhu Hassan, Ramaphosa declared "disorder and anarchy will not be allowed."

If protestors "restrict the rights" of other citizens "and unleash violence, our security forces are going to defend the people of South Africa," he said.

Ramaphosa noted the protests were scheduled to take place a year before general elections.

The timing, he charged, revealed that political parties are "positioning themselves because they want to win the vote."

EFF leader Julius Malema told reporters on Wednesday "we have to shut down this country to show the whole world that we are concerned about the state of affairs."

His party has called on South Africans to avoid going to work and school or operating business on the strike day.

Ports, parliament, border crossings and the Johannesburg stock exchange building among others will be targeted as key protesting points, Malema said.

Separately, Police Minister Bheki Cele said Thursday that officers will be "out in their numbers" to protect citizens who wished to work, conduct business or travel.

The military will be on standby for reinforcement if needed.

Some businesses and schools have voiced concern about operating on the protest day, and some have already opted to pull down their shutters.

"We expect there will be full order and harmony," said Ramaphosa.

Once championed as a graft-busting saviour after the tainted era of his former boss Jacob Zuma, Ramaphosa is struggling to hold on to power.

He narrowly escaped a parliamentary vote in December that could have initiated impeachment proceedings against him over half-a-million dollars in undeclared cash hidden at his farm.

He holds the presidency thanks to a majority in parliament by the African National Congress (ANC), which led the fight against apartheid and has ruled since the advent of democracy in 1994.

But the ANC's popularity has eroded as the country's problems have multiplied, and Ramaphosa's position is in doubt.

"Regime change can only come about through the vote, it cannot come about through anarchy," Ramaphosa said.

I think for the most part we're all living in denial. The state of the world is devolving rapidly, How else does anyone explain our literal acceptance and evolution of the "post truth era".

Out of interest, which do you think is the most objective source of news in South Africa?
There really isn't any good news source on its own in the country anymore, unfortunately. The best way to be informed is to look at as many sources as possible and form an opinion based on that. Sensationalism is so common here it's insane.

In regards to the Daily Maverick, they used to publish pro-hunting articles quite frequently but their op-eds have been heavily filtered to represent one side of the political spectrum in the country. If you're from South Africa you could look at it as being Cape Town-centric. Meaning it appeals almost exclusively to well-off, coddled liberal white South Africans. They've become extremely out of touch.

It's good to be informed and concerned, but don't listen to articles like the one above. It's fear-mongering with malicious intent. Yes, malicious.
Thank you for that. Don’t worry, these type of articles will NOT keep me from going to Africa. I have faith in the outfitters and PH’s and always feel safe in their hands.

The truth is if you read about the stuff that happens here in the US, it might be terrifying for those living outside.

There really isn't any good news source on its own in the country anymore, unfortunately. The best way to be informed is to look at as many sources as possible and form an opinion based on that. Sensationalism is so common here it's insane.

In regards to the Daily Maverick, they used to publish pro-hunting articles quite frequently but their op-eds have been heavily filtered to represent one side of the political spectrum in the country. If you're from South Africa you could look at it as being Cape Town-centric. Meaning it appeals almost exclusively to well-off, coddled liberal white South Africans. They've become extremely out of touch.
Exactly right. This is why I started the thread - to hear from SA residents, as news sources are not trustworthy anymore. Although I will say that the Epoch TImes is a great source and the original article was not sensationalized, it just was information - which NO one else in MSM in the U.S. has brought to our attention....

A lot of common sense there.

Out of interest, which do you think is the most objective source of news in South Africa? I occasionally read the Daily Maverick online and have picked up a paper copy in South Africa. I realise it has a strong anti hunting bias though and South African friends don't seem to think much of it.

There might be varied opinions on this one but you can have a look at news24 South Africa. We have better news channels although I’m not sure how much Afrikaans you’ve picked up on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoelKalman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg