Magnum Actions sources

I'm looking for a build project that doesn't break the bank. If it costs too much it just gets silly. I am plowing money into a hole, which doesn't completely rule it out, but would be leaving out some of the fun.

CZ 550 Magnum is not a standard length action opened up. I have 4 of them. One is a 450 Rigby, one is a 416 Rigby. Other two are awaiting barrels.

CZ550 would be my choice.

I will take a photo later, I have some 510 Cartridges. I will place one on the follower to give you an idea.

Thanks for you work on those pictures. I would be OK on using an Enfield action, if I could find one, and I have to confess that I haven't even tried. One concern I had was that I know that they reworked them pretty completely, and maybe that is less than it sounds. Maybe it isn't a lot more than fabricating the metal box; installing an aftermarket trigger; working out the feeding problems; and of course generally squaring up the action.

Parenthetically, I was reading up on Alpin a few days ago, before all this, and I had no idea how distinguished he was. The articles I read in gun magazines kinda made him out as a guy with some novel ideas on making DG bolt guns, and left his other contributions aside. He maintains a website for his current activities which also lists his many publications, etc...

If one was making up a 9.3x62, would one not use the regular Zastava action?

Anyone have an opinion on which is better the Demoulin or the Zastava. I would probably go over them pretty thoroughly so issues that one can machine out could be dealt with. Basic differences in materials, or set-up aren't going to get touched. I like the Demoulin safety for instance (as pictured).

Zastava:

zastavam98action.jpg

Demoulin:

Dumoulinaction.JPG

Attachments

• Dumoulinaction.JPG
    Dumoulinaction.JPG
    676.3 KB · Views: 180
  • zastavam98action.jpg
    zastavam98action.jpg
    582.8 KB · Views: 311
Last edited by a moderator:
Go for a CZ550 or even better a Brno602 action..

If one was making up a 9.3x62, would one not use the regular Zastava action?

Anyone have an opinion on which is better the Demoulin or the Zastava. I would probably go over them pretty thoroughly so issues that one can machine out could be dealt with. Basic differences in materials, or set-up aren't going to get touched. I like the Demoulin safety for instance (as pictured).

Zastava:

zastavam98action.jpg

Demoulin:

Dumoulinaction.JPG

My gunsmith says he likes to work with the Demoulin action but it does need work. One issue I encountered was the hardness of the steel used. It turns out the Brno 602 has been hardened in a way that can make it more challenging to work with. And, engraving is also a challenge. I don't quite understand it but that is some feedback I got. I am a huge fan of the Brno actions and you can pick up old rifles for reasonable rates.

Just a FYI. As I understand it those dumoulin actions are made in China. Not necessarily a bad thing as I own several norinco. I have not seen one personally so can’t really comment on the quality.

I have a zastava in 375 and there are definitely machining marks left on the action. So if you go that route and want a custom rifle expect to have some polishing done and a reblue job at least.

Other options out there are buying a complete zastava in 9.3x62, barrels are supposed to be hammer forged and you will get a stock as well for little more than just the action.
Buying a used commercial FN 98 in 8mm for the action and having your smith start with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win__

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you