Magnum Actions sources

I'm looking for a build project that doesn't break the bank. If it costs too much it just gets silly. I am plowing money into a hole, which doesn't completely rule it out, but would be leaving out some of the fun.

CZ 550 Magnum is not a standard length action opened up. I have 4 of them. One is a 450 Rigby, one is a 416 Rigby. Other two are awaiting barrels.

CZ550 would be my choice.

I will take a photo later, I have some 510 Cartridges. I will place one on the follower to give you an idea.

Thanks for you work on those pictures. I would be OK on using an Enfield action, if I could find one, and I have to confess that I haven't even tried. One concern I had was that I know that they reworked them pretty completely, and maybe that is less than it sounds. Maybe it isn't a lot more than fabricating the metal box; installing an aftermarket trigger; working out the feeding problems; and of course generally squaring up the action.

Parenthetically, I was reading up on Alpin a few days ago, before all this, and I had no idea how distinguished he was. The articles I read in gun magazines kinda made him out as a guy with some novel ideas on making DG bolt guns, and left his other contributions aside. He maintains a website for his current activities which also lists his many publications, etc...

If one was making up a 9.3x62, would one not use the regular Zastava action?

Anyone have an opinion on which is better the Demoulin or the Zastava. I would probably go over them pretty thoroughly so issues that one can machine out could be dealt with. Basic differences in materials, or set-up aren't going to get touched. I like the Demoulin safety for instance (as pictured).

Zastava:

zastavam98action.jpg

Demoulin:

Dumoulinaction.JPG

Attachments

• Dumoulinaction.JPG
    Dumoulinaction.JPG
    676.3 KB · Views: 180
  • zastavam98action.jpg
    zastavam98action.jpg
    582.8 KB · Views: 311
Last edited by a moderator:
Go for a CZ550 or even better a Brno602 action..

If one was making up a 9.3x62, would one not use the regular Zastava action?

Anyone have an opinion on which is better the Demoulin or the Zastava. I would probably go over them pretty thoroughly so issues that one can machine out could be dealt with. Basic differences in materials, or set-up aren't going to get touched. I like the Demoulin safety for instance (as pictured).

Zastava:

zastavam98action.jpg

Demoulin:

Dumoulinaction.JPG

My gunsmith says he likes to work with the Demoulin action but it does need work. One issue I encountered was the hardness of the steel used. It turns out the Brno 602 has been hardened in a way that can make it more challenging to work with. And, engraving is also a challenge. I don't quite understand it but that is some feedback I got. I am a huge fan of the Brno actions and you can pick up old rifles for reasonable rates.

Just a FYI. As I understand it those dumoulin actions are made in China. Not necessarily a bad thing as I own several norinco. I have not seen one personally so can’t really comment on the quality.

I have a zastava in 375 and there are definitely machining marks left on the action. So if you go that route and want a custom rifle expect to have some polishing done and a reblue job at least.

Other options out there are buying a complete zastava in 9.3x62, barrels are supposed to be hammer forged and you will get a stock as well for little more than just the action.
Buying a used commercial FN 98 in 8mm for the action and having your smith start with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois