M70 .375 Safari Express with new McMillan stock pics

Kind of looks like a Stippling,,I like the stock it looks more like wood I have a Savage Sillouette that has a Similar pattern,,Enjoy

Shot my McMillan-stocked Model 70 .375 H&H for the first time today since getting it back. First 3 shots (Hornday 270 gr. Superformance FL @ 2,780 fps chrono'd) landed in .80" @100 yds. Again, bedding work was done by Brad at Phoenix Custom Rifles, and I can't recommend him/them highly enough. McMillan shipped direct to them and Brad installed oversized, 5/8" pillars and bedded full length, due to the forward recoil lug. Also installed a solid carbon fiber rear "cross bolt".

View attachment 47358 View attachment 47360

Very nice! That's very good MV with accuracy with that 270gr bullet. I could get accuracy out of my handloads with the 270's I tried, but nowhere close to that velocity.

Kind of looks like a Stippling,,I like the stock it looks more like wood I have a Savage Sillouette that has a Similar pattern,,Enjoy
Rob, it is stippling. Gives good traction. Thanks.

Very nice! That's very good MV with accuracy with that 270gr bullet. I could get accuracy out of my handloads with the 270's I tried, but nowhere close to that velocity.
Phil, I was surprised too. That Superformance stuff is smoking!

I like it a lot. Great look for a travel anywhere - take on anything rifle. And I am not surprised it shoots. Really well done.

I am always in the market for another rifle in my safe. I like what you have done even though the factory stock looks good. Winchester has always done a great job with what they make. The more I look at that McMillan stock, the more I like it. Thanks for showing. Marvin

I am always in the market for another rifle in my safe. I like what you have done even though the factory stock looks good. Winchester has always done a great job with what they make. The more I look at that McMillan stock, the more I like it. Thanks for showing. Marvin
Thanks, Marvin. Couldn't be happier with the end result.

Congrats, I'm not surprised it shoots excellent.

Nice looking rig. There are no better stocks than those made by McMillan. I have 5 of them and they are both indestructible and impervious to weather.

I've also done some business with the guys at PCR and they are great guys to do business with.

I was personally less than pleased with the performance of the 270gr in the .375 Ruger. It killed everything stone dead but the bullets broke apart and didn't track true all the way through. They shot very well for me though so putting them in the right spot was no issue.

If I shoot factory Hornady next time around I'll probably shoot the 260gr Interbond. Expansion with them is usually about the same as the Interlock but I've never had a problem with the separating on me. The only big/tough game I've shot with the .375 shooting the interbond is one very large boar. He was running away and my shot split his pelvis and the bullet was found intact in the sheild of the left shoulder. I'd be confident using it in Africa on the next trip.

I could not get the DGX 300gr to group well with the suppressor but it is just fine without it and so for buffalo or anything else dangerous I'll keep a box of them in the gun case as well.

Nice looking rig. There are no better stocks than those made by McMillan. I have 5 of them and they are both indestructible and impervious to weather.

I've also done some business with the guys at PCR and they are great guys to do business with.

I was personally less than pleased with the performance of the 270gr in the .375 Ruger. It killed everything stone dead but the bullets broke apart and didn't track true all the way through. They shot very well for me though so putting them in the right spot was no issue.

If I shoot factory Hornady next time around I'll probably shoot the 260gr Interbond. Expansion with them is usually about the same as the Interlock but I've never had a problem with the separating on me. The only big/tough game I've shot with the .375 shooting the interbond is one very large boar. He was running away and my shot split his pelvis and the bullet was found intact in the sheild of the left shoulder. I'd be confident using it in Africa on the next trip.

I could not get the DGX 300gr to group well with the suppressor but it is just fine without it and so for buffalo or anything else dangerous I'll keep a box of them in the gun case as well.
Glad to hear you had the same experience with PCR! I wouldn't use the Hornady if I take the rig to Africa; I just purchased 3 boxes of the Superformance ammo with the rifle for break in, etc.

You mention DGX's not shooting well with the "suppressor"...do you really suppress your .375 Ruger, or are you referring to the Ruger removable muzzle brake? If a suppressor, that must be one beefy can!

Yep, The friends I was hunting with prefer suppressors and as cheap as they are in the RSA I picked one up. Some of the landowners we hunted on preferred them as well.

All I had to do was switch out barrel adapters and used the same one on both the 300wm and the .375 Ruger.

Without a doubt it's fun to shoot with it suppressed. The recoil is a little higher than with my muzzle brake but there was zero barrel qhip and it was all straight back but greatly reduced vs shooting without either.

I shoot a lot and like shooting my magnums. It's not unusual for me to shoot a hundred rounds or more out of them at a single trip to the range. Since I don't want to develop a flinch I have most of my rifles threaded for a brake and one installed. We do a lot of shooting beyond 300yds here so a flinch can cause serious accuracy issues.

charles-sa-hunt-7787-jpg.46429

You can see it mounted on the Ruger in the picture above.

And in this one with the Nyala.

charles-sa-hunt-7784-jpg.46430

Classic Arms in Witbank manufactures this one under their own brand name. A very simple design and very effective.

One more with the same one mounted on the .300wm.

dsc00391-jpg.46431

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to add, the 300 DGX shoots extremely well for me without the suppressor. I don't know why it wouldn't with the suppressor. The .260gr Interbond and .270gr Interlock both shoot very well either way but for some reason the other would not.

That is very cool! I have several cans but nothing over .308". Great pics!

That is very cool! I have several cans but nothing over .308". Great pics!
Believe it or not they sell for just 300.00 and there's no licensing or restrictions. Of course getting a firearms permit at all there is about as difficult as getting approved for class 3 items in the US.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg