Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA Canada, RSA, Argentina, Namibia/Caprivi
The first time I saw her I knew she was the one for me. How do I tell my wife that I have fallen for another? Maybe I should start at the beginning, my wife and I both work fulltime and we are both fulltime students. On top of all that my wife just completed a microbiology research project that required her to put in an extra 20 hours a week. She finished the research project and I completed college on July 10th. We decided to take a week off and head for Wyoming to do a little fly fishing. What has all this to do with my new love, you may ask? Well, we decided to drive through Nebraska and since I-80 runs by Sydney, Nebraska, we stopped in at the Cabela’s store to pick up some leaders and flies. “While we are here, we might as well look around,” I thought. I eventually made my way back to the gun library and when I glanced into the glass case, it was love at first sight.
The twin barrels immediately caught my eye, the light scroll and coin finish put me over the edge. All of this nestled into a lovely walnut stock; I knew I would have to hold her. I asked the sales person if I could take a closer look and as he put the rifle in my hands, I knew I could never let go. “I knew I would find you here,” my wife said, as she caught me caressing the Krieghoff.
As I turned around with the same guilty look that I had when she had caught me the last time, she said, “Why don’t you just buy it?”
You could have knocked me over with a feather. All of these years, the dream had seemed to slip away, but now it is becoming a reality. I feel light headed and I am trembling all over as we go into an office in the back to discuss terms. We come to an agreement and I am on cloud nine and all of this time I have not set the gun down. My wife asks to hold it and I reluctantly hand it over, “Kind of heavy,” she says and hands it back.
The transaction will have to be completed in Oklahoma so I have to hand the rifle back to the sales person. They finally pry my new love out of my hands and as we leave the store, my wife asks how it feels to own a 470 Nitro Express and I tell her it feels great. When we get back to the car she tells me not to let it go to my head, I told her not to worry but she should now refer to me as “Bwana Two Pipes.” She rolls her eyes at me as we get back on the highway but I am already thinking about where my wife is going to sleep when the gun gets home; I can’t leave the gun in the safe all night, it might get lonely.

Post some pictures of the new girl when you get her home! Congratulations.

Good on you man hope you take care of her like you do your wife. The doubles are always something to appreciate. Now you just need to get a Big Buff to try her out on.

Jaustin, That was a great post... We missed your entertaining perspective! Glad to hear that you finally got your dream "girl", she sounds like a beaut. Let us know how things go on your first date :gorgeous:...

Thanks everyone, I hope to have her home in the next week or so and I will post pictures as soon as she arrives. I only have 60 days until I leave for my elephant hunt so I plan on shooting quite a bit to get the feel of this rifle. I am glad that Hornady has introduced their DGS 470 ammo as it is about $200 a box cheaper than Federal. The excitement is building and I can hardly wait to shoot her. Thanks agian, Jim

Paper work is all done. She should ship today.

Jaustin Congratulations on your, I assume, you first double rifle!:thumb:

Welcome to the DRSS (Double Rifle Shooter's Society) all you need do to become a member is click on the website in My signature line, and click on How to Become a member! Hope to see you at our get together at the Dallas Safari Club show in Dallas in January! The DRSS usually has a get together at the 4K ranch near Brady, Texas for some fellowship, a double rifle shooting, and do a little wild Hog hunting.

.................................Get that K-gun warm :D

Dugaboy,
Good to hear from you old buddy, I just got back from Corpus Christi visiting the grandkids and man was it hot and humid down on the coast..Good to be back in dry hot Idaho..stay in touch.
Ray

Jaustin,
Congrats on the new lady, but when you pull the trigger you will realize she has a large number of male harmones, oh well! :) :)

Hey Ray, I know what you mean about the heat down on the gulf! I just got back myself from a week in Houston, and five days in Lafayette, La visiting my wife's family. I envy you those high mountains up there in Idaho!

Are you going to make DSC next yr, we missed you this yr!

..........................:focus: Hope you enjoy your new double rifle Jaustin!

I received the ammo yesterday and the rifle is supposed to arrive tomorrow, I am on pins and needles.

DUGABOY, thanks for the invite and yes this is my first double. My wife and I usually try and make Dallas if the roads are not iced over and would love the opportunity to meet you. Jim

I am happy to say that she has arrived with no problems or damage. I went straight home and set up a target that you can see from the pictures pleases me to no end.

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to thank Jerome for his help in getting the photo's posted, thanks Jerome.

Krieghoff 470 Nitro Express

jaustin, a beauty and she's got great curves... I am sure that you'll enjoy her company in the bush! Her name??? I am very happy for you. :thumb:

jaustin..................she is a thing of beauty! I am jealous..............
Use her in good health.:daydreaming:

Well done Jaustin she is a beauty hope there is a lot to be said for a good looking double.

I am green, no make that blued steel and brown, with envy. Enjoy!

Jaustin...
she will not let you down and will only ask for minimal maintenance.
Just don't make the mistake of ignoring her. One thing she needs - is action!
Give her al you can and you will live happily ever after. Cheers Bwana,

That is a beautiful rifle!!!!

Also, I really like the tile inlay you did on the floor.

Thank you for all of the kind comments. Luckily for me she seems to like the Hornady DGS load and this makes it less expensive to practice and this is also the load I plan to hunt with.

As for the tile, I was with a friend somewhere by Pretoria and I mentioned how much I wished we could find tile like this in the States. Unknown to me he purchased the tile and had it delivered to the taxidermist to be shipped home with his capes. He came to my house as we were on our way to Texas to bowhunt javelina and when I picked him up at the airport I helped carry his bags and I thought he had packed bricks. When we arrived at my home he gave me this set of tile and another set that has plains game on it. I took part of my tile up and laid this set in the entryway to the game room.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg