Looking for: What do you think?

B
A
C
D

That assumes all shoot roughly the same in your rifle.

I have never had a rifle shoot ALL factory ammo the same. Thus I would find the factory ammo that shoots the most accurately and go with that. If some are close choose on the performance of the softs first. And my vote is swift a frame. It is the best soft for every animal. Cats to heavy boned like cape

Swift AFrame softs, no experience with solids.

Nosler Partition
Hornady DGS
52C35555-BED2-4193-8424-23A66A20CFDE.jpeg

This is a recovered Hornady 500 grain DGS meplat copper clad steel jacketed solid , which was fired from my .458 WM ( Winchester Magnum ) . Weight retention is 100 % .

never out the nosler partition in the same sentence as the swift aframe.
sooner or later the nosler partition WILL let you down.
and it will not be on something small.
they work extremely well on small for calibre game.
if they hit big bones on big animals, the nose will blow off.
when this happens, it can cause direction of travel to deviate by up to 45 degrees.
don't ask me how i know this.
the swift will just power on through.
the swift will open up very fast on lighter targets, but retain weight and penetrate bigger ones in a straight line.
bruce.

never out the nosler partition in the same sentence as the swift aframe.
sooner or later the nosler partition WILL let you down.
and it will not be on something small.
they work extremely well on small for calibre game.
if they hit big bones on big animals, the nose will blow off.
when this happens, it can cause direction of travel to deviate by up to 45 degrees.
don't ask me how i know this.
the swift will just power on through.
the swift will open up very fast on lighter targets, but retain weight and penetrate bigger ones in a straight line.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
I have successfully used 500 grain Nosler Partition factory loaded ammunition in my .458 WM to take American elk , American black bear and also Kodiak bear . They perform excellently . If a person does not like Nosler Partitions , then that is fine . There are plenty of premium soft nose bullets / ammunition loaded with premium soft nose bullets on the market today to satisfy any customer’s needs . I am certain that you must have had a genuinely unpleasant experience with them . But my experience with Nosler products has been rather pleasant . I have also used them on our local Axis deer and our wild boars ( which often exceed 130 kilograms in weight ) .

mawla,
there are those that have had the problem, and those that will.
using them in a 458 on elk, black bear, and possibly kodiak bear, (i don't know the size and texture of their bones and the 458 is big) is as i described, a situation of light game for the bullet and you would have been safe.
the 458 possibly uses the nosler better due to slow speeds?
axis deer with them even out of a 7mm would be fine.
one of my problems was a huge pig hitting the shoulder blade through the fighting pad with a 210 gn partition out of a 338 win mag,
a 308 150 gn cup and core would have killed it suddenly, as would have a 270 win with 130 gn sierras.
i was lucky to get it with a second shot using a 200 gn speer.
another case was a donkey with a 9.3x64 and a 286 gn partition.
again in the shoulder blade this time side on.
the bullet strike looked like the donkey was covered in an inch of dust.

close examination showed 2 holes.
a small one where the bullet went in and a big one where the nose blew out.
a lucky shot, i had misjudged the range and hit a little higher than i would have liked.
lucky because the bullet changed direction when the nose exploded and went where it needed to go due to being deflected by the nose blowing off.
the pig was the opposite.
i routinely use 140 gn partitions in the 280 for goats and fallow deer quite successfully, and 160 gns in the 7mm stw for similar sized game with happiness based on results.
i nearly gave up on the 9.3, but found the swift bullet to a completely different kettle of fish.
for the 280 i have loads in swift and barnes for bigger animals, and the stw barnes perform well on bigger targets.
bruce.

@bruce moulds
I have successfully used 500 grain Nosler Partition factory loaded ammunition in my .458 WM to take American elk , American black bear and also Kodiak bear . They perform excellently . If a person does not like Nosler Partitions , then that is fine . There are plenty of premium soft nose bullets / ammunition loaded with premium soft nose bullets on the market today to satisfy any customer’s needs . I am certain that you must have had a genuinely unpleasant experience with them . But my experience with Nosler products has been rather pleasant . I have also used them on our local Axis deer and our wild boars ( which often exceed 130 kilograms in weight ) .

It's not that I have any unpleasant experience with them. I have had more than a difficult time finding them in stock.

I'm on Nosler's email list, must be way down on the list, when I get their email, go online 375 H&H is already out of stock and I am stuck ordering 500 grain .458 WM only.

Seems since this covid pandemic the ammo companies have quit producing 375 bullets and ammo. What bullets I do find to reload my choices are limited to: Federal, Hornady, Norma, Nosler, and Swift. If I have to and the only choices left I will break down and get just enough Sierra or Speer bullets to target shoot saving what few Barnes and Hornady bullets I have to hunt with.

It's not that I have any unpleasant experience with them. I have had more than a difficult time finding them in stock.

I'm on Nosler's email list, must be way down on the list, when I get their email, go online 375 H&H is already out of stock and I am stuck ordering 500 grain .458 WM only.

Seems since this covid pandemic the ammo companies have quit producing 375 bullets and ammo. What bullets I do find to reload my choices are limited to: Federal, Hornady, Norma, Nosler, and Swift. If I have to and the only choices left I will break down and get just enough Sierra or Speer bullets to target shoot saving what few Barnes and Hornady bullets I have to hunt with.
@Ridge Runner
You could always try and get some 375 cal Woodleigh.
Bob

Nosler Partition
Hornady DGS
View attachment 364860
This is a recovered Hornady 500 grain DGS meplat copper clad steel jacketed solid , which was fired from my .458 WM ( Winchester Magnum ) . Weight retention is 100 % .
@Ridge Runner
You could always try and get some 375 cal Woodleigh.
Bob

I only have 100 Woodleigh, 300 North Fork, and less than 150 Barnes bullets left in my inventory for reloading and those are designated for cape buff and hippo.

Since we will be amongst the danger seven while hunting PG. I am looking for an alternative to the aforementioned premium bullets to use for PG, should things go south in a hurry, I can still rely on the bullets on hand to do the job.

ridge runner,
i have shot everthing from a german shepherd to donkeys with the 300 gn sierra 375 bullet with no complaints.
they make a big mushroom and all that stayed in held cores in jackets.
lost some weight but not much.
they are very accurate.
i would use them on most plains game.
bruce.

mawla,
using them in a 458 on elk, black bear, and possibly kodiak bear, (i don't know the size and texture of their bones and the 458 is big) is as i described, a situation of light game for the bullet and you would have been safe.
one of my problems was a huge pig hitting the shoulder blade through the fighting pad with a 210 gn partition out of a 338 win mag,
a 308 150 gn cup and core would have killed it suddenly, as would have a 270 win with 130 gn sierras.

a lucky shot, i had misjudged the range and hit a little higher than i would have liked.
lucky because the bullet changed direction when the nose exploded and went where it needed to go due to being deflected by the nose blowing off.
i routinely use 140 gn partitions in the 280 for goats and fallow deer quite successfully, and 160 gns in the 7mm stw for similar sized game with happiness based on results.
i nearly gave up on the 9.3, but found the swift bullet to a completely different kettle of fish.
for the 280 i have loads in swift and barnes for bigger animals, and the stw barnes perform well on bigger targets.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
That is really unfortunate . This is what a .338 WM ( Winchester Magnum ) calibre 250 grain Nosler Partition and a .458 WM ( Winchester Magnum ) 500 grain Nosler Partition can do .
D7508FD9-3EA6-4A38-A7F1-686D5F1AE74F.jpeg
4BA80910-340F-464D-A012-AA7B0B01F8E2.png

@Ridge Runner
Which part of the United States are you based in ? And do you own a .458 Winchester Magnum ? I own two full boxes of 500 grain Nosler Partition factory loaded ammunition for the .458 Winchester Magnum . I would be more than happy to send you one box . Free of charge . I will also pay for the shipping costs . I purchased my last consignment in 2018 .

With bullets and ammo getting hard to find.
What would you chose in factory ammo? Only 4 choices!
Only 300 grain!
Solid and soft bullets!

A. Norsler in solid and soft
B. Swift in solid and soft
C. Federal in solid and soft
D. Hornady in solid and soft

Or a mix of the 4 choices above.

Please:
No other options!
Factory ammo only option!
No reloading options!

Ammo is for .375 H&H mag, and for both DG: hippo (land or water) and buff, and PG: eland and gemsbuck/oryx.

No offense but Please for this conversation any other recommendations or personal opinions I am not really interested in.
Swift is your easy answer. It is proven and respected in Africa.
Philip

@Ridge Runner
Which part of the United States are you based in ? And do you own a .458 Winchester Magnum ? I own two full boxes of 500 grain Nosler Partition factory loaded ammunition for the .458 Winchester Magnum . I would be more than happy to send you one box . Free of charge . I will also pay for the shipping costs . I purchased my last consignment in 2018 .

PM sent.

If available I'd do with Federal, preferably in trophy Bonded bear Claws, or A Frames. Dor solids I prefer Woodliegh Hydro but have never had anything but good performance from all Federal Premium loads.

If available I'd do with Federal, preferably in trophy Bonded bear Claws, or A Frames. Dor solids I prefer Woodliegh Hydro but have never had anything but good performance from all Federal Premium loads.

The few premium bullets I have on hand are waiting to be used on African game.

I am looking for a bullet to target practice and predominantly hunt deer, bear, and boar with here in Tennessee. To gain experience as to the recipe I will need to use to reload for African game.

mawla,

bruce.
Bruce do you usually mix your 338 cartridges with 210 NP and 200gr Speer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross