Looking for feedback from Africa hunters with experience using 6.5mm cartridges

I’ve only shot two eland, one with a .375 H&H, the other with a 9.3x62. I’ve shot a lot of game with a 7x57, but from what I saw with eland, I will stick to the bigger gun for them. The 6.5 has its place, but it would not be my choice for eland no matter what bullet you choose.

Correct I do not regard Berger bullets as premium grade hunting bullets, especially not in a small caliber such as 6.5mm Nosler which shoots 120gr bullets @ close to 3400 fps and 140gr bullets @ 3300 fps or in any of the DG calibers for that matter.

Yes shot placement is the most important but common sense and experience should prevail.....you should know that....

Find me one Outfitter or PH on this forum who would recommend bringing a 26 Nosler loaded with Berger bullets to hunt either Cape, Livingstone or Giant eland...if you are bringing it for springbuck or bles buck in the wide open spaces it may be a different story but not for eland....not in my book anyway....

How many old eland bulls have you killed with this combination?
No elands here. Have you hunted Bergers? Everyone has their opinion, favorites, experience and biases. That's one thing that makes this sport interesting and for some diverse discourse. :)

No elands here. Have you hunted Bergers? Everyone has their opinion, favorites, experience and biases. That's one thing that makes this sport interesting and for some diverse discourse. :)
Now I have not hunted Bergers(I have seen them used with varying results) I prefer using proven premium grade hunting bullets which does not include Bergers. My preferences are Rhino controlled expanders as well as their Solid brass meplat solids. For those who do not have access to them I recommend Swift A frame, Bear claws and depending on caliber Woodleigh.

Bergers may be good target bullets and they may also be fine for small to medium sized game but they most definitely are not heavy game or DG bullets.

When hunting large eland bulls(that typically weigh more than Cape buffalo by about 200 pounds) you need a proper premium grade bullet.

I do use Barnes 285 grn TSX and 300gr Nosler Accubonds in my Lapua but that is for paper, steel plates and vermin hunting....

Non premium? Surely you jest.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 10.53.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 10.53.44 AM.png
    466.3 KB · Views: 181
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 10.53.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 10.53.46 AM.png
    706.7 KB · Views: 171
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 10.53.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 10.53.47 AM.png
    700.2 KB · Views: 166
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 10.53.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 10.53.49 AM.png
    549 KB · Views: 178
Accuracy is one thing bullet performance is quite another for large plains game and DG....the same goes for caliber used.

No matter what caliber in 6.5mm or bullet you use, it is a very poor and unethical choice for eland, we should use a caliber that is capable of cleanly killing the animal we hunt, 6.5mm does not make that cut by a long shot for eland. I rest my case.

Sorry but Berger Hunting bullet is an oxymoron.

Premium Target bullet yes, they may even have some merit at extreme ranges but for African Bushveld hunting you are better off using something else.
And how many have you used? If any, how many failures?

Sorry but Berger Hunting bullet is an oxymoron.

I don't shoot target bullets at game.
I'm an ethical hunter.
You are flat out wrong, no other way to say it. I wouldn’t use Bergers on plains game. I do use 130 grain Hunting VLD’s in my 6.5x55 on Whitetail and Axis and they are great. I’ve also used them on a few hogs I encountered when deer hunting and was happy with the results.

I don't shoot target bullets at game.
I'm an ethical hunter.

What works is controlled expansion heavier bullets and not bullets designed with "thinner J4 precision" to product hydrostatic shock and injured animals who run away dragging one leg.
You are flat out wrong, no other way to say it. I wouldn’t use Bergers on plains game. I do use 130 grain Hunting VLD’s in my 6.5x55 on Whitetail and Axis and they are great. I’ve also used them on a few hogs I encountered when deer hunting and was happy with the results.
This thread's been hijacked by Berger haters and so called "ethical" hunters. The anti hunters could argue all hunters are not isn't ethical so that argument is baseless.

so_much.jpg

seems to be a little confusion on what is meant by premium.

in my mind, it's a bullet with high weight retention, especially at high impact velocities, NP being the very first of that breed of bullet.

hands down, 143 ELD-X is the most accurate bullet out of my Swede, and I've shot pretty much everything except Swift, Barnes, and Norma through it. but a premium bullet it ain't.

Whitetail and axis deer weigh as much as the guts of an Eland....using them in 6.5mm on Eland bulls is not on. You don't know what you are talking about....

This thread's been hijacked by Berger haters and so called "ethical" hunters. The anti hunters could argue all hunters are not isn't ethical so that argument is baseless.
Really???

You never hunted an eland but you recommend 6.5mm high speed caliber loaded with Berger bullets for hunting up to Eland....eish...good luck....hi jacked by Berger haters....and yes hunting Eland with a 6.5mm high speed caliber with Berger bullets is totally un ethical and has nothing to do with anti hunters...just common sense. However you seem to want to push the point with zero experience hunting even one eland but you want to keep pushing the point???Why?

Sometimes listening and learning from experienced people in the field is more valuable than trying to prove a point that is totally ridiculous...

such as the .264 Win Mag, 6.5 Remington Mag and 26 Nosler all have more than enough power for PG, eland included.

If you are sorted with one of these high speed 6.5mm(which one do you own?) up to Eland for PG I am really interested to find out what you would use on DG......

Whitetail and axis deer weigh as much as the guts of an Eland....using them in 6.5mm on Eland bulls is not on. You don't know what you are talking about....
I do know what I’m talking about in that Berger bullets are excellent for some game. I never once stated that I’d use any 6.5 cartridge for eland, because I wouldn’t. I also stated I wouldn’t use Bergers on plains game. So I don’t know where you got it in your head that I’d use 6.5 bullets for eland.

So whitetail and axis deer are not "plains game"? What game are they then?

Guys, guys, let’s step back a bit. In a previous post I complemented everyone on being helpful and respectful with each other. Let’s leave this type of discussion on the playground where it belongs. Please. I think everyone agrees a 6.5 with any bullet for Eland should at best be left to an expert shot, if even tried. Thank you my friends and good hunting.

So whitetail and axis deer are not "plains game"? What game are they then?
When people say, “plains game”, it’s tacit they are talking certain animals in Africa, not the U.S. In the U.S. whitetail are called big game, Axis are called big game or exotic game. You know deer in the states aren’t called plains game and are being childish.

And you need to know when to stop. Really guys knock it off. This is not a serious discusion of varying viewpoints any longer but has devolved into a tit for tat. Back into your corners and wait for the bell to ring.

I am probably opening up a pandora's box, but thought I'd ask. I have a Model 96 Swedish Mauser that I had customized back in the 90s. Dumb move in that I made it too fancy to hunt with. My gunsmith buddy went all out on it, jeweling the bolt, and had a stock made with exhibition grade English walnut. It's a showcase piece. I'd cry if I scratched it.

Looking to get a nice 6.5 for field use. I'll admit I like good looking rifles, with nice wood, but am not going to go so overboard this time. Might be a project gun. Might be a commercial if I can find one I want.

I know the 6.5 x 55 SE well. Great overall round, within its range. But I've been reading about the lesser known 6.5 x 284 Norma and understand it's quite impressive both in terms of accuracy (used a lot by competition shooters) and as a flat shooter with a potent punch. Trying to avoid going with a wildcat (aka, 6.5-06 A-Frame). The guns won't sell later because the vast majority of people don't hand load. I'm okay with less than common, but want to go with something that is at least available commercially.

I'm seeing more rifles available in the 264 Winchester Magnum than the 6.5 x 284. But it seems to be too similar to the 7mm Rem mag, which I already have. I'm not looking for a magnum, but something to fill the gap between the .257 and the 7mms I have.

Thoughts? Experiences?
@ILCAPO
Go the cheaper option. You are already used to your Swede so just get another stock for hunting and put the good one on when at home.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemjhon405

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber