Looking for a good Chrono

For sticks: I have owned about every style sticks/tripod ever made. For our safari this year we treated ourselves to a set of Africa shooting sticks from Africa Sporting Creations and we love them more than the bogpods we had always used. I could have saved a lot of money if I had bought them to start with.

safe shooting

Love the MagnetoSpeed Sporter. It very seldom misses a reading if set up correctly. I've fallen in love with supressed shooting, and wanted to figure out a way to get velocities while shooting suppressed. Found a vial of rare earth magnets, and problem solved. Fired over 50 rounds verifying suppressed velocities and it never missed a reading.

As mentioned, it will change POI when attached, so I do load workup without it attached.
MS1.jpg

Love the MagnetoSpeed Sporter. It very seldom misses a reading if set up correctly. I've fallen in love with supressed shooting, and wanted to figure out a way to get velocities while shooting suppressed. Found a vial of rare earth magnets, and problem solved. Fired over 50 rounds verifying suppressed velocities and it never missed a reading.

As mentioned, it will change POI when attached, so I do load workup without it attached.
View attachment 498975
Will this work/good for doubles?

My vote is for the LabRadar. a couple of years ago I did a comparison of the LR, Chrony and Magneto speed.

For sticks, I have a basic set I puchased from African Sporting Creations that I used on my first safari.
On my second safari, I took the ASC sticks but the PH told me in advance he used Primos Trigger Sticks. I practiced with those prior to going and they worked fine. Given my druthers, I prefer the wood ASC sticks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 7.08.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 7.08.53 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 42
Put some masking tape on the muzzle end of the barrel and the MagnetoSpeed bayonet will stay in place. Start with a wrap, sticky side down and then twist it to sticky side up. Make a couple wraps and twist again to sticky side down.
I also had some issues using the Magneto Speed chrono on my 404, which has a ramp front sight. I needed to insert a wedge under the band of the bayonet to get it level with the bore and at the right distance from the muzzle.

Another vote for Labradar.

I recommend the sticks one can buy from @African Sporting Creations. Fits in regular luggage when broken down and easy to deploy in all kinds of conditions (top of termite hill while off-balance etc.). I have used mine on multiple trips.
@Tanks
In Namibia we used viper flex quad sticks. It was like having a bench rest in the bush. Checked the price, they are expensive in Australian dollars. Don't really need them in Australia but at times the would be handy.
Bob

I dumped my Chrony ( erratic and not very accurate) and bought a Labradar. I'm very happy with the upgrade.

Labradar, especially if your shooting multiple guns during the same session. Also, advise getting the adapter to mount a cheap scope to align it. Saves a lot of frustration.

Another vote for the Labradar. Don't have to worry about wind gust or ambient light, and works with all types of firearms and even archery setups.

As I see it, the Magnetospeed limits you to a single barrel conventional rifle. Not sure that it would work with a double. Definitely wouldn't work with my full-stock rifle (Stutzen). Won't work on a semi-auto pistol, and doubt it would last long on a revolver.

The Magnetospeed might suit your needs now, but will it continue to do so in the future? The Labradar is more expensive, but "Buy once, cry once" applies.

@Troubleshooter it will work on a double it just needs to be mounted sideways. They sell adapters to mount to a light rail of a pistol.

A labradar is the better way to go. We are starting to get a few more options that are like the labradar, smaller and hook to the side rifle. Technology is only getting better.

Was at the Briley shop in Houston today… picked up a Competition Electronics ProChrono LTD Chronograph they had on their clearance shelf for $50…. I figured for that price I couldn’t let it go…

Not the newest or best technology available… but for $50 NIB I’ll certainly find a way to make it work :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MitchelMcE

Latest profile posts

Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!