Looking for a good Chrono

For sticks: I have owned about every style sticks/tripod ever made. For our safari this year we treated ourselves to a set of Africa shooting sticks from Africa Sporting Creations and we love them more than the bogpods we had always used. I could have saved a lot of money if I had bought them to start with.

safe shooting

Love the MagnetoSpeed Sporter. It very seldom misses a reading if set up correctly. I've fallen in love with supressed shooting, and wanted to figure out a way to get velocities while shooting suppressed. Found a vial of rare earth magnets, and problem solved. Fired over 50 rounds verifying suppressed velocities and it never missed a reading.

As mentioned, it will change POI when attached, so I do load workup without it attached.
MS1.jpg

Love the MagnetoSpeed Sporter. It very seldom misses a reading if set up correctly. I've fallen in love with supressed shooting, and wanted to figure out a way to get velocities while shooting suppressed. Found a vial of rare earth magnets, and problem solved. Fired over 50 rounds verifying suppressed velocities and it never missed a reading.

As mentioned, it will change POI when attached, so I do load workup without it attached.
View attachment 498975
Will this work/good for doubles?

My vote is for the LabRadar. a couple of years ago I did a comparison of the LR, Chrony and Magneto speed.

For sticks, I have a basic set I puchased from African Sporting Creations that I used on my first safari.
On my second safari, I took the ASC sticks but the PH told me in advance he used Primos Trigger Sticks. I practiced with those prior to going and they worked fine. Given my druthers, I prefer the wood ASC sticks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 7.08.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 7.08.53 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 40
Put some masking tape on the muzzle end of the barrel and the MagnetoSpeed bayonet will stay in place. Start with a wrap, sticky side down and then twist it to sticky side up. Make a couple wraps and twist again to sticky side down.
I also had some issues using the Magneto Speed chrono on my 404, which has a ramp front sight. I needed to insert a wedge under the band of the bayonet to get it level with the bore and at the right distance from the muzzle.

Another vote for Labradar.

I recommend the sticks one can buy from @African Sporting Creations. Fits in regular luggage when broken down and easy to deploy in all kinds of conditions (top of termite hill while off-balance etc.). I have used mine on multiple trips.
@Tanks
In Namibia we used viper flex quad sticks. It was like having a bench rest in the bush. Checked the price, they are expensive in Australian dollars. Don't really need them in Australia but at times the would be handy.
Bob

I dumped my Chrony ( erratic and not very accurate) and bought a Labradar. I'm very happy with the upgrade.

Labradar, especially if your shooting multiple guns during the same session. Also, advise getting the adapter to mount a cheap scope to align it. Saves a lot of frustration.

Another vote for the Labradar. Don't have to worry about wind gust or ambient light, and works with all types of firearms and even archery setups.

As I see it, the Magnetospeed limits you to a single barrel conventional rifle. Not sure that it would work with a double. Definitely wouldn't work with my full-stock rifle (Stutzen). Won't work on a semi-auto pistol, and doubt it would last long on a revolver.

The Magnetospeed might suit your needs now, but will it continue to do so in the future? The Labradar is more expensive, but "Buy once, cry once" applies.

@Troubleshooter it will work on a double it just needs to be mounted sideways. They sell adapters to mount to a light rail of a pistol.

A labradar is the better way to go. We are starting to get a few more options that are like the labradar, smaller and hook to the side rifle. Technology is only getting better.

Was at the Briley shop in Houston today… picked up a Competition Electronics ProChrono LTD Chronograph they had on their clearance shelf for $50…. I figured for that price I couldn’t let it go…

Not the newest or best technology available… but for $50 NIB I’ll certainly find a way to make it work :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sports0266

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg