106.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 7.59.25 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 7.59.25 AM Large.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 7.59.27 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 7.59.27 AM Large.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 60

Yup. A friend has one. Very nice.

I’ve never used on of those Labradars. They seem to be well liked though. Certainly on the expensive side, but also pretty versatile.

I’ve used/owned two Caldwells. I don’t recall the models, but one model had the sensors pointed toward the sky and another model had the sensors pointed toward the ground. I never did any comparison or tests for accuracy, so I can’t speak to that. But I can say that the model pointed to the ground is far more reliable at reading every shot regardless of lighting conditions during my use. The model with sensors toward the sky was a constant pain in the butt to keep the right amount of light but not too much light on the device, so I frequently got errors. That became a dealbreaker once I got into reloading and didn’t want to make extra rounds of every shot just in case the chrono didn’t read a shot.

I’ve never used on of those Labradars. They seem to be well liked though. Certainly on the expensive side, but also pretty versatile.

I’ve used/owned two Caldwells. I don’t recall the models, but one model had the sensors pointed toward the sky and another model had the sensors pointed toward the ground. I never did any comparison or tests for accuracy, so I can’t speak to that. But I can say that the model pointed to the ground is far more reliable at reading every shot regardless of lighting conditions during my use. The model with sensors toward the sky was a constant pain in the butt to keep the right amount of light but not too much light on the device, so I frequently got errors. That became a dealbreaker once I got into reloading and didn’t want to make extra rounds of every shot just in case the chrono didn’t read a shot.

Since I didn't want to have the hassle of always worrying about lighting, I went with the Labradar. Have had it for a few years now. When I first got it, it drove me insane. The crappy support of not updating their android app to allow for phone use was almost the death of the unit flying into the largest ravine I could find. They've fixed that now and have done a few firmware updates so now I can actually use my phone to connect to the unit. Before that, I could only get my iPad to connect so I did have an option, it just wasn't a good one. The unit would also always turn off using just battery power. That was also not horrible since I always used a rechargeable battery pack anyway. That seems to have been fixed with a firmware update, at least on my unit.

Anyway, with all that bad said about the unit, the update to the app to allow for note taking and stuff as well as the firmware updates have made the unit a really solid chrono now. Yes it's expensive but the ease of use and setup for me makes it the best chrono out there.

One thing I do suggest for anyone buying one is to purchase the third party add on that puts a small cross hair type alignment scope on the top of the unit to look through so that you can actually aim the unit correctly. Just using the small v shape never worked great. It'd still read the 20-40 yard numbers every time, but it was hit and miss on aligning it correctly to get past that. Now I can get 80-100 yards regularly. That was another complaint of mine but it was like a simple $20 part that corrects it. It would be great it Labradar actually incorporated that into the unit as well, but they have yet to do so.

A Magnetospeed is also a good option, and a bit more cost effective that a Labradar. I have noticed it does change point of impact though.

I've been using a Magneto Speed and it works well. At first I had a bit of trouble getting the unit to stay mounted and level with the bore, but learned how to do it.

This unit does NOT depend on lighting conditions, is simple and easy to use and it's compact so that I can keep it in my range bag.

In the market for a good reliable cronohaph and a good pair of sticks. Please provide your thoughts
@soumya sarkar
A good chronograph can cost from 100 to 1,000 dollars.
I personally own a cheap Chrony Chronograph. It has never let me down in 10 years is simple, reliable and easy to use. A small pia to set up ( takes Bout 5 minutes). I calibrate mine at each use. This is done with a 22lr at 1,070 fps. If it is +-10fps it's fine. Cost me 100 dollars.
The magneto speed is good but you can't sight in and velocity check at the same time.
Lab radar are supposed to be the ultimate but I have never used one so can't comment.
I will stick with my chrony as I like simple.
Bob

I have used them all. This works as well as any and so far, it has been very reliable.

Competition Electronics ProChrono DLX Bluetooth Chronograph​

I used a buddy's Labradar. It is very nice and I can definitely see the advantage of using it on a range with other shooters.

Safe shooting

I have used them all. This works as well as any and so far, it has been very reliable.

Competition Electronics ProChrono DLX Bluetooth Chronograph​

I used a buddy's Labradar. It is very nice and I can definitely see the advantage of using it on a range with other shooters.

Safe shooting the Electronics Pro Chrony and the Chrony F1 are about the same price in Australia. Both around $325, oh how prices have gone up. I only paid 100 bucks for my Chrony F1.
@SFRanger7GP
Just looked at that on line, seems a good unit.
Oh how prices have gone up.
Bothered now $325, I only paid 100 bucks for mine. My mate Craig reckons I should look at real 2022 price and stop living thinking every thing is still the same price as it was in 1990. I suppose he's right looking at those prices.
Bob

I have and prefer a LabRadar. That being said, for your intended use i think a Magnetospeed would serve you well.

As far as shooting sticks I used a four leg shooting stick in South Africa on my last safari and it was excellent. A four leg shooting stick is very stable and easy to use with a little practice. The one I used in Africa was locally made and I do not know the brand. I found these European models for sale on amazon. I do not have personal experience with these brands but I might buy one to practice with before my next safari.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 8.07.03 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 8.07.03 AM Large.jpeg
    212.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 8.07.34 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 8.07.34 AM Large.jpeg
    163.1 KB · Views: 53
Bob - I looked up and I see the prices around $147 are we talking of different things.?
@soumya sarkar
I was looking up prices in a couple of Australian gun shops like Rebel Gun Works..
Depending on where you are they may be cheaper. If that is 149 US then that's about 320AUD.
Bob

Blaser quad sticks are the best.

I had a cheaper folding chrony that was inconsistent and lighting sensitive.

I went with a Magneto speed that work well most of the time. However it is frustrating not being able to sight in, or really test groups due to the POI shift. The MS will also move on my muzzle after shots so can’t use the shift consistently either.

lab radar will fix all those issues, for a price. It’s on my wishlist

I had a cheaper folding chrony that was inconsistent and lighting sensitive.

I went with a Magneto speed that work well most of the time. However it is frustrating not being able to sight in, or really test groups due to the POI shift. The MS will also move on my muzzle after shots so can’t use the shift consistently either.

lab radar will fix all those issues, for a price. It’s on my wishlist
Put some masking tape on the muzzle end of the barrel and the MagnetoSpeed bayonet will stay in place. Start with a wrap, sticky side down and then twist it to sticky side up. Make a couple wraps and twist again to sticky side down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PWA703

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.