Looking For 600 NE Rifle

Friends, I'm looking for a super high quality and ornate 600 NE Double rifle. Pre war or post war. Sidelock preferred. While price always matters, it is a secondary concern. Also looking for dies, bullets and RCBS shell holder. I already have LOTS of brass.
Good luck with your search and make sure and post pictures!

I had one until very recently. It was a German pre 1912 clamshell ejector, which was made by an unnamed member of the German gun maker’s guild for Suhler Waffen Export Haus. Unfortunately, the bore diameter was 15.5mm or .610, which made it smaller than conventional .600 Nitro Express rifles (which have a bore diameter of .620). This meant that I couldn’t use modern .600 Nitro Express factory loads (namely Labor Fur Ballistik) or bullets (namely Barnes Banded Solids or Cutting Edge Bullets Safari Solids) in it, without first swaging down the bullets to size. So I very regretfully sold it.

I still dream of owning a Butch Searcy & Co. boxlock ejector in .600 Nitro Express someday, though. Preferably sooner than later.
D95EA4FC-121D-4D09-9327-01BDC2E53FCC.jpeg

I have 3 different 500 NE doubles and use them. The 600 is "just because I can". I've used the 500 Jefferey on several cape buffalo and it really hurts them. I've been shooting a 570 gr. TSX @ 2130 fps for buffalo and it simply works well. I decided to try the 600 NE as if the rifle fits right and weighs enough, it should be shootable and somewhat more effective on the big critters. I own a game preserve in SA and like to hunt buffalo by tracking them after they've seen me. It is always a rush and I figured the 600 NE might be good life insurance considering my habits. I will probably kill a good ten Cape Buffalo in coming months, so the 600 NE will get used.

Friends, I'm looking for a super high quality and ornate 600 NE Double rifle. Pre war or post war. Sidelock preferred. While price always matters, it is a secondary concern. Also looking for dies, bullets and RCBS shell holder. I already have LOTS of brass.

I can’t help you directly. But this sounds like a very good reason to go to either the DSC or SCI conventions. The major DR makers will be at each of the shows and you could talk directly to them about what you’re after.

EDIT: You may also want to contact William Larkin Moore in Scottsdale, AZ. I’ve visited their shop a couple of times and they keep in inventory of all sorts of fine rifles and shotguns.

Last edited:
I know you are correct, but I leave for Africa in two weeks, for three months. So I will miss all the conventions. There is a very expensive 600 NE, pre war that has never been fired outside of when it was made for one of the Rajas of India. Lewis Drake has it offered and I have spoken with him about it extensively. I'm considering buying it, but before I throw down that much money, I want to educate myself and see if I can find something I like even more. When I return from Africa late in April, I plan to fly to Drakes home and check out the rifle. It was made by RB Rodda

I know you are correct, but I leave for Africa in two weeks, for three months. So I will miss all the conventions. There is a very expensive 600 NE, pre war that has never been fired outside of when it was made for one of the Rajas of India. Lewis Drake has it offered and I have spoken with him about it extensively. I'm considering buying it, but before I throw down that much money, I want to educate myself and see if I can find something I like even more. When I return from Africa late in April, I plan to fly to Drakes home and check out the rifle. It was made by RB Rodda

I’ll be visiting with William Larkin Moore in Dallas that I mentioned in my previous post. Hopefully I’ll remember this post and run it by them.

William Larkin & Moore does have two..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 3.18.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 3.18.31 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 75
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 3.18.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 3.18.33 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 86
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 3.18.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 3.18.34 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 76
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 3.18.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 3.18.36 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 78
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 3.18.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 3.18.39 PM.png
    798.5 KB · Views: 70
William Larkin & Moore does have two..
Yes, thank you...... I looked at them. I'm looking for side plates and extended tang all engraved properly ,etc. Not sure what to think of the under lever either, but that is not a deal killer if it works well, just never used an under lever.

Yes, thank you...... I looked at them. I'm looking for side plates and extended tang all engraved properly ,etc. Not sure what to think of the under lever either, but that is not a deal killer if it works well, just never used an under lever.
Perfectly understandable! I hope you find what you’re looking for. I admire your approach to hunting buff. I imagine it is exciting. Be careful and have a good trip

Perfectly understandable! I hope you find what you’re looking for. I admire your approach to hunting buff. I imagine it is exciting. Be careful and have a good trip
I started out hunting buffalo with a scoped magazine rifle, but after several kills grew tired of how easy it was, so I switched to iron sights only and getting close. I've listened to folks really hammer on Mark Sullivan for provoking charges, but after I discovered letting the buf see me, then tracking him down, I am doing the very same thing. I never think about the charge ahead of time, but if you let buf see you and run away, then you follow them, you are begging for a charge. It's fair hunting. It gives the bull a chance at you. You let them know you are after them and chances are very good they will double back on you. It's the only way to hunt DG. Cape Buffalo understand humans a lot better than humans understand them.

Tim, have you thought about contacting Ken Owen about having him make you one?

Also I would suggest contacting Champlin firearms in Enid Oklahoma; if they don’t have one I bet they would know if one is lurking about.
I really do not want to wait for one to be built. I contacted Rigby to discuss just that and for the rifle I wanted, it was 3-4 years...............I'm too old to wait that long. So, I'll have to find an existing rifle that fits, functions, etc. No matter how collectible, I will hunt it hard as that is the only reason to own any rifle, in my book. Thanks for your suggestions.....I will contact Champlin.

I had one until very recently. It was a German pre 1912 clamshell ejector, which was made by an unnamed member of the German gun maker’s guild for Suhler Waffen Export Haus. Unfortunately, the bore diameter was 15.5mm or .610, which made it smaller than conventional .600 Nitro Express rifles (which have a bore diameter of .620). This meant that I couldn’t use modern .600 Nitro Express factory loads (namely Labor Fur Ballistik) or bullets (namely Barnes Banded Solids or Cutting Edge Bullets Safari Solids) in it, without first swaging down the bullets to size. So I very regretfully sold it.

I still dream of owning a Butch Searcy & Co. boxlock ejector in .600 Nitro Express someday, though. Preferably sooner than later.
View attachment 507657
I have to ask, what it is that you admire so much about Searcy double rifles? Just out of curiosity

I have a Verney-Carron 600 NE I purchased last spring on GI from Kebco, the US rep for same. It is an incredibly well-built rifle. I load for it and shoot it regularly. Cal Pappas and I were discussing loads for same until his untimely passing. Point is, unless $$$ are no object, best way to go for such a rifle. Look out Mr. T-Rex!

I am a big fan of the 600 NE for the history and sheer power and audacity of it.

This may or may not matter to you but those snap action underlever 600s are WJ Jeffery rifles. Jeffery was the originator of the 600 NE and thus the original snap action WJ Jeffery doubles are the quintessential “original” 600 NE double IMO. However, the two Jeffery 600s that WLM has listed are newer built Jeffery rifles, I believe.

That Rodda that Drake has is pretty spectacular. It came out of an absolutely stunning collection that was sold off a few years ago. I guess I assumed that it wasn’t really for sale based on the price quoted. I know some people like to show their collection in the for sale websites with crazy prices on them to show them off and if someone is willing to pay their price…then great!

I am a big fan of the 600 NE for the history and sheer power and audacity of it.

This may or may not matter to you but those snap action underlever 600s are WJ Jeffery rifles. Jeffery was the originator of the 600 NE and thus the original snap action WJ Jeffery doubles are the quintessential “original” 600 NE double IMO. However, the two Jeffery 600s that WLM has listed are newer built Jeffery rifles, I believe.

That Rodda that Drake has is pretty spectacular. It came out of an absolutely stunning collection that was sold off a few years ago. I guess I assumed that it wasn’t really for sale based on the price quoted. I know some people like to show their collection in the for sale websites with crazy prices on them to show them off and if someone is willing to pay their price…then great!
Two thumbs up for the 600 Jeffery!! Only 37 were produced.
EJ

Just held one in my had a few days ago at H&H, but sure it's a built for someone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindi9161

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.