Long Range Precision Hunting - Recoil/Caliber vs. Terminal Ballistics

Consider What you're going to shoot and at what Range. You'll quickly find that the heavier 6.5 and 338 (hunting) bullets have a bit of an edge at long range (400-1000 yds for hunting). The bullet BCs and SDs are so high, these bullets maintain V at distance, causing them to drop less and hit (and penetrate) with greater E. You can find some good ones in 7 and 30 as well. You just need a larger case (NOT a needmore- A WSM/RSAUM/6.5-300 Wby, 6.5-284, et. al. These guns are super accurate, a pleasure to shoot, and deadly to the big 7s, 30s, 338s as I own 'em all, but you're going to be shooting 170+/190+/225+ gr bullets behind a lot of powder to achieve your goal. How do these big cannons shoot so well? Proper weight, stock design, accurization, quality scope and mounts. Again, if you're just taking QUOTE]

Your post brings back great memories. Woodchucks taught me to shoot many years ago. Then I moved to Wyoming and learned to dope the wind on prairie dogs.

LOL, I’m not sure how I did that! My post is the last para in the quote:

Your post brings back great memories. Woodchucks taught me to shoot many years ago. Then I moved to Wyoming and learned to dope the wind on prairie dogs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RaymondNie

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.