Long overdue range report!

Voodooracer

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hi everyone, I had posted on here recently about scoping my cz 550 in 375 h&h and i was finally able to get to the range and get it sighted in. I also got some more trigger time in with my 550 in 458 lott as well. It took a few rounds to get it sighted in properly but the leupold vx-3 1.5-5x20 held zero great. The only 375 ammo i had on hand was some privi partisan 300 grain round nose soft points but they performed well for sighting in. I have some federal 300gr bonded bear claws and some barnes tsx's on order so i will do a final tweak with those when they come in. Overall im extremely pleased with the groupings at 100 yards especially with the privi ammo, im sure premium ammunition will perform much better. I also did some shooting with my 458 lott with the factorty iron sights at 50 yards and was relatively pleased with the groupings i got, i still need a lot more trigger time with it to get more comfortable shooting it offhand. All shooting was done off of a caldwell lead sled with 50 lbs of weight in the tray. boy did i need every bit of it for the 458 haha. I will be getting a new large white dot front sight from NECG for the 458 in the very near future.

Target3.jpg
375 h&h at 100 yds. The 3 shots closest to the bullseye were my original group after getting it zeroed and the two on top were the last two rounds i had, i adjusted to be a little high at 100 yards, all in all im happy for the ammo i used.

Target2.jpg
These were my 3 shots with the 458 at 50 yards off the lead sled, i need to tweak the front sight a little to get it hitting dead on

Target1.jpg
These last 3 were with the 458 offhand at 25 yards, not too impressive but i still need a lot more practice with it offhand haha.

Feel free to chime in with any advice or criticism! I always learn so much from everyone on here.
Thanks,
Voodooracer

I believe you are correct, more trigger time and some premium ammo, and you should be good as gold. I am kind of impressed you got the priv ammo to group as well as it did, I havent had much luck with that stuff. NECG makes one of my favorite "peep" sites, hade one on a Ruger 77 years back and really liked it.

Good shooting, keep it up.

Thanks, I was shocked as well, I was expecting minute -of-pie plate accuracy out of it but was pleasantly surprised. The cases also looked unusually clean and powder free after firing, for privi. I've shot that ammo in 8 mm Mauser and it was downright filthy and acccuracy was mediocre. Maybe I got a decent batch but who knows haha. Thanks! Next I'll be working on practicing off shooting sticks

Nothing wrong with that shooting, especially first shots with the .458. It is such a mind game.... I have to admit that I sometimes still jerk my .375 when I haven't shot in a while. I know the recoil is no big deal to me, but I do it anyway.

I've actually had good luck with PRVI for both my .375 and .30/06. It shoots a heck of a lot better that Hornady DGX/DGS for me (Hornady really is MOP out of my rifle....). For target ammo I think it is great, but that is just me and my rifle.

Thanks Royal27, I agree it is definitely a mind game. I tend to pull the shots a little low with the 458, I could always shoot some 458 win for less recoil practice but I think I will be able to master the 458 lott in time. That's interesting, I've seemed to have pretty good luck with the hornady line thus far. Privi has been hit or miss, no pun intended haha. It is perfect range ammo for me as well.

Thanks Royal27, I agree it is definitely a mind game. I tend to pull the shots a little low with the 458, I could always shoot some 458 win for less recoil practice but I think I will be able to master the 458 lott in time. That's interesting, I've seemed to have pretty good luck with the hornady line thus far. Privi has been hit or miss, no pun intended haha. It is perfect range ammo for me as well.

I want a Lott SO badly!!! I just don't need one, yet. and there are other rifles that I "need" more. One day soon though!!!!

And not bad mouthing Hornady at all. My rifle just hates it for whatever reason....

Haha it's a great caliber that's for sure. My wants are far outweighing my needs at this point but you only live once haha. I know what you mean, each rifle is an individual haha

I want a Lott SO badly!!! I just don't need one, yet. and there are other rifles that I "need" more. One day soon though!!!!

And not bad mouthing Hornady at all. My rifle just hates it for whatever reason....

whether you need it or not , isn't to say wanting it ,can stop you from having it , royal

I got back from the range again today after getting in a couple boxes of Federal 300 grain trophy bonded bear claws. They shot much better than both the privi partisan and hornady 270gr loads. They were averaging slightly better than 1-m.o.a. at 100 yards. There were some hellacious wind today that made shooting difficult but i ended up having the Federal loads hitting right around 1 1/2 inches high at 100 yards. Windage was slightly off due to the extreme gusts so i hope to get out again soon when its calmer to get my final adjustments finished. Overall i'm very happy with the federal loads so far!

And now it is time for you to get off the bench!! :)

I agree! Time to invest in or make some shooting sticks!

Make Em!!!

I made these with dowel rod, copper tubing, vacuum cleaner belt, and electrical tape. :)

image.jpg

Very nice! Did you use one of the build techniques that have been posted in the gear forum to make them?

From another place actually... They are based on long grass sticks. Easy to do though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg