Lockable ammo container?

Areaonereal

AH elite
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,021
Reaction score
1,625
Media
2
Hunting reports
Africa
2
Will a molded PLANO brand plastic pistol case suffice for ammo with a padlock attached and carried in "Checked" baggage for SA. I know they refer to metal or wood, but where do find that? The case will be secured by a padlock.
 
Should work, I have even seen fishing tackle boxes used too.
 
Will a molded PLANO brand plastic pistol case suffice for ammo with a padlock attached and carried in "Checked" baggage for SA. I know they refer to metal or wood, but where do find that? The case will be secured by a padlock.

Should be fine. I used a Pelican pistol case on this year's trip.
 
Yup, if you can lock it it meets the requirement. I use a Pelican knock off for my ammo. I don't remember the name but it is virtually identical.
 
I think I paid $20 at Cabelas for a small pistol case. It's worked fine for 3 trips
 
That's what i use... it is lockable and will hold up to 6 boxes of ammo. right at your 11 pounds that you are allowed.

i go to the ammo manufacturers web site and obtain the weight of a box of ammo that am taking with me and it has matched the scales at the market.

Usually 2 to 3 boxes is all you will need. most of the time you never shoot 1 box of ammo.
 
They had these cheapo plastic boxes on sale at Cabelas recently for $7, bought on of those. Its lockable. Since my first trip of so many years ago, I have not used anything to pack ammo in, but it looks like its becoming imperative.
 
Midway had some cases for 12.00 I picked a couple up last week
 
Thank you for everyone's feedback. Going in 2014 and want no surprises.
Dealing with government regs in any country are always inconsistent based on who is interpreting the rules. Why is this. We can get complete and simple explanations on the operation of a coffee pot, why not the importation on guns and ammo?.
 
Thank you for everyone's feedback. Going in 2014 and want no surprises.
Dealing with government regs in any country are always inconsistent based on who is interpreting the rules. Why is this. We can get complete and simple explanations on the operation of a coffee pot, why not the importation on guns and ammo?.

These are not government regulations.

IATA regulations.

Which are then interpreted by each Airline and what each of them would like to see.

Then you have staff that are not trained properly in their own policies and you get the fun of travelling with guns.

I just found this one.
IATA has an interactive search function now taht will allow you to see up to date information on Customs, Currency, Health, etc.

Check it out.
This is the RSA link under country information.

IATA - South Africa Customs, Currency & Airport Tax regulations details
 
Thank you for everyone's feedback. Going in 2014 and want no surprises.
Dealing with government regs in any country are always inconsistent based on who is interpreting the rules. Why is this. We can get complete and simple explanations on the operation of a coffee pot, why not the importation on guns and ammo?.
Most are fairly simple, some countries are bad just because bribes are considered normal operating procedures.
 
We used these:
Stalwart 75-3789 3-Pc Aluminum Storage Box with Lockable Clasp and Handle - Amazon.com

Stalwart 75-3789 3-Pc Aluminum Storage Box with Lockable Clasp and Handle

They are incredibly light and they lock.

Boxes.jpg
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,286
Messages
1,571,714
Members
169,399
Latest member
JulianePon
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top