Loads for .458 Winchester Magnum

OK, I know that I'm going to catch a lot of grief for this, so please don't bother to tell me that I need a Lott. I used my .458 Win. Mag. to take exactly one cape buffalo bull on my first safari and I love the rifle. I'm going back to find another bull next year and the Winnie is going with me.
Now then, when I went before, I was using some older factory ammunition which I now know was not a good idea (although the bull died and the bullets didn't bounce along the ground to reach him).
I now reload for all of my hunting rifles and this hunt will also be "home-rolled." I am looking for good loads that aren't overly compressed or temperature sensitive yet still deliver the velocity that it was supposed to (2150 fps with 500 gr. bullets). The main problem with inconsistent velocities in this cartridge seems be around the use of tightly packed spherical powders which clump and don't burn evenly. I know some of you with more big-bore experience than I have an answer to this issue. Help please!
I just noticed that the shootersreference website shows quite a few loads that do this:

500 grain Hornady JRN listed at 2163 fps using 75.5 grains H335

500 grain Hornady JRN listed at 2161 fps using 74 grains H4895

500 grain Hornady JRN listed at 2152 fps using 74 grains Varget

500 grain Hornady JRN listed at 2149 fps using 73.4 grains N530

With soft points the max I saw was:

500 grain Hornady RN listed at 2192 fps using 74.0 grains Accurate 2460

Check their website.

The Nosler Partition 500Gr factory load is advertised as doing 2100 fps. Out of the 25” barrel of a pre 64 Winchester Model 70, it chronographs 2087 fps. But I’ve seen this rifle and this load successfully stop a very big male lion’s charge with a frontal heart shot. I‘m no fan of this caliber, but it can definitely be made to do the job properly on all DG.

Not true for all powders and amounts of compression.

As long as the compression isn't enough to bugle the case then good to go.
Too fast of a burn rate powde would certainly be disastrous with enough to compression

I just noticed that the shootersreference website shows quite a few loads that do this:

500 grain Hornady JRN listed at 2163 fps using 75.5 grains H335

500 grain Hornady JRN listed at 2161 fps using 74 grains H4895

500 grain Hornady JRN listed at 2152 fps using 74 grains Varget

500 grain Hornady JRN listed at 2149 fps using 73.4 grains N530

With soft points the max I saw was:

500 grain Hornady RN listed at 2192 fps using 74.0 grains Accurate 2460

Check their website.
Thanks for the reply. I've hit on 74 grns. of H 4895 behind a 500 grain Hornady solid. I,m getting between 2140 and 2150 fps on each shot. The powder is supposed to be temperature insensitive and is only lightly compressed. I think that should do it on any buffalo or anything else that walks. I leave for Zimbabwe later this month!

I dont understand why people bother with this marginal caliber....so many better options availible....same bigger and smaller that out perform it.....

Well, IvW, some people already have rifles in this caliber. Maybe they inherited it and it has sentimental value. Or maybe somebody got a deal because the previous owner wanted a Lott or something. Some people like taking the under dog and making it a winner.

From reading threads, I have seen that you can buy factory ammo that drives a 500 grain bullet at 2150 fps, and also easily exceed that velocity with handloads, so if you buy that ammo or make those loads, it isn't marginal.

I dont understand why people bother with this marginal caliber....so many better options availible....same bigger and smaller that out perform it.....

We bother with it because we like it and it performs well for us…

What's marginal about a 550gn projectile @ 2100fps?
Or a 480-500gn @ 2150fps?
Or a 450gn Hydro @ 2300fps?

That's what I'm getting out of my Zastava with 24" barrel and it’s actually no big deal to get the .458 to perform satisfactory.
And it’s not because of “magical powders” available in Australia - it’s because it’s not 1956 anymore…

2150 fps with a 480 gr bullet was the standard load of the .450 3 1/4" Nitro Express, invented by John Rigby in 1898.

Never heard of any issues with this ammunition.

I am one of this poor owners of .458 Win-Mag rifles.

Its a Mauser 66S and Mannlicher-Schoenauers, all with 25,6" barrels.

They boost .480 gr Woodleight handloads at Nitro Express performance level easily.

They do this accurate, uniform, with low pessure and are plain fun to shoot...

Have some boxes "brain shot training" with of this light weight, full powered Lott rifles.... with their 20-22" barrels....

... and than lets talk about precise bullet placement.

HWL

Last edited:
Not to be a nerd or anything, but the .458 Winchester Magnum was never actually advertised as being capable of delivering 2150 fps with 500Gr bullets. It was originally advertised as (by both Winchester and Remington) being capable of delivering 2130 fps with 500Gr FMJ solids and 510Gr soft points. This is from 1950s era Winchester catalogs and 1960s era catalogs by both Winchester and Remington. A 1959 H.P White Laboratory ballistics lab test (using a Winchester Model 70 African with a 25" barrel and multiple boxes of fresh Winchester Super Speed 500Gr steel jacketed FMJ solids) showed that the actual velocity was 2087 fps (which was dropping elephant and Cape buffalo fine until shelf life problems due to powder compression began to surface).

From 1978, Winchester and Remington both advertised their .458 Winchester Magnum ammunition as being able to deliver 2040 fps with bullets of the same weight. But when chronographed, actual velocity was discovered to be 1990 fps. This made even fresh ammunition inadequate.

My take on this, is that even 500Gr bullets traveling at 2087 fps will reliably down all forms of DG. As long as velocity doesn't drop below 2087.

But why send a 500 gr. bullet down range at 2087 fps when you can do it at 2192 fps with the load I quoted?
Why use a 480 grain bullet when you can use a 500 grain bullet with an SD of .341?
Please don't mention recoil. 1) There's nothing you can shoot in the .458 Win Mag that will have as much recoil as the .458 Lott and 2) If you are recoil adverse you shouldn't be shooting the .458 Mag in the first place.

Hunter-Habib - I found this quote from a Shooting Times article:

The original goal was to match the performance of the .450 Nitro Express, but in the spirit of one-upmanship, bullet weight was increased to 510 grains for the softnose and 500 grains for the solid, both at 2,125 fps. Claimed muzzle energies of the two loads were 5,140 and 5,010 ft-lbs compared to 4,110 ft-lbs for the .450 Nitro Express. Advertised velocities of the two bullet weights were later reduced to 2,040 fps.

But why send a 500 gr. bullet down range at 2087 fps when you can do it at 2192 fps with the load I quoted?
Why use a 480 grain bullet when you can use a 500 grain bullet with an SD of .341?
Please don't mention recoil. 1) There's nothing you can shoot in the .458 Win Mag that will have as much recoil as the .458 Lott and 2) If you are recoil adverse you shouldn't be shooting the .458 Mag in the first place.
You're obviously right, @postoak . I was just (for the sake of historical clarification) explaining what velocity the original Winchester factory loads for this caliber (during it's debut in 1956) was accomplishing when fresh. That's all. And also pointing out that at 2087 fps, the 500Gr Winchester factory loads were still working acceptably.

A 1959 H.P White Laboratory ballistics lab test (using a Winchester Model 70 African with a 25" barrel and multiple boxes of fresh Winchester Super Speed 500Gr steel jacketed FMJ solids) showed that the actual velocity was 2087 fps (which was dropping elephant and Cape buffalo fine until shelf life problems due to powder compression began to surface).
Far worse than shelf life, there are reliable stories of powder spilling out on the production line as well as a batch of undersized bullets being glued into cases. Not the calibre at fault but rather the cartridge manufacturer.

I would love to see some of the original 450 nitro loads chronographed to see a comparison.
2070fps
F9C1CAC2-E8A1-458A-8ADF-0C632BEAF5B2.jpeg

Well, IvW, some people already have rifles in this caliber. Maybe they inherited it and it has sentimental value.
Have to second this statement. There is something nostalgic about that caliber that started in childhood. Took the 458WM Model 70 to stretch her legs this weekend. Sent 20 rounds down range for three reasons (only intended to shoot 5 initially):
1. Annoying know-it-alls beside us popping off a semi-auto 9mm at least 100 rounds beside us while I'm teaching my young daughter to shoot. Got tired of the noise and distraction so I told them it was my turn to make noise.
2. Wanted to use up old factory ammo to get the brass to reload.
3. For the absolute fun of it.

Also found my wife is quite the shot, told her she should get into bench rest. She put 10 rds 22LR out of a Stevens heavy barrel target training rifle in a 2" group at 50yds using iron sights. First time shooting for her as well.

I walked away happy but with a bit of a headache from repeated recoil.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 9.03.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 9.03.16 AM.png
    773 KB · Views: 66
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 9.03.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 9.03.18 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 65
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 9.03.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 9.03.20 AM.png
    859 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Bloody love the little 458 WM

Simple and does the job with no fuss

As with these cartridges, reloading is the key

I load the 550grn Woodleigh RN and 78grn of 2208/Varget
MV 2070

Taken some cracker Bulls at 203m, 268m and my biggest at 25m

Don’t underestimate the cartridge ability

Here's a reason to buy the .458 Win Mag over the .458 Lott.
Hey! You guys quit posting up those Dangerous Game Rifles at "give away" prices!
I must be strong and resist. I already have a .458 Win and a .458 Lott. I also have a 450 Rigby.
I do not need another .458!
I do not need another .458!
I do not need another .458!...

Anyway, thanks for sharing. It is a great buy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arecruitment880

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!