Loading Woodleigh FMJ's

Caveman

AH veteran
Joined
Nov 27, 2020
Messages
100
Reaction score
408
Media
19
Hunting reports
Africa
3
USA/Canada
1
Hello All,

I'm working up Woodleigh loads for a Krieghoff 500-416. Per the Woodleigh Loading Manual, H1000 is listed as a viable powder for 410 grain Weldcore's with 109.5 grains being the max charge. I'm having good results out of both barrels with a charge of 108.6 grains H1000.

I want to start working on FMJ loads, however the Loading Manual does not list H1000 as an option for 410 grain FMJ bullets. I would like to use this powder since I have several pounds of it on hand and do not have any of the others listed in the manual, however being relatively new to reloading I do not want to go down a pathway I shouldn't go.

Would I be OK using H1000 and if so limiting my charges to no more than 109.5 grains (what the manual says for the Weldcore's) or should I use something lighter? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark
 
If you e-mail Geoff McDonald at Woodleigh he has helped me out quite a bit with Woodleigh load questions.
I don't know if they are responding to emails lately because of their factory going up in smoke .

Zedfield Pty Ltd T/A Woodleigh Bullets
PO Box 15, Murrabit, Victoria 3579
Email: zedfield@iinet.net.au
 
They have responded to a few members here
If it's a legit question I'm confident Geoff will provide a response if he has the information available.
 
Hello All,

I'm working up Woodleigh loads for a Krieghoff 500-416. Per the Woodleigh Loading Manual, H1000 is listed as a viable powder for 410 grain Weldcore's with 109.5 grains being the max charge. I'm having good results out of both barrels with a charge of 108.6 grains H1000.

I want to start working on FMJ loads, however the Loading Manual does not list H1000 as an option for 410 grain FMJ bullets. I would like to use this powder since I have several pounds of it on hand and do not have any of the others listed in the manual, however being relatively new to reloading I do not want to go down a pathway I shouldn't go.

Would I be OK using H1000 and if so limiting my charges to no more than 109.5 grains (what the manual says for the Weldcore's) or should I use something lighter? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark
All though the FMJ projectiles may have a slightly higher pressure curve if you look at other load data in the Woodleigh manual the majority lists the same powders for the RNSN and FMJ, not only do the list the same powders but the powder charges are also mostly the same for the 2 different projectiles. Just one example is the 450-400 3" data it lists exact same powder charges for the RNSN and the FMJ. The safe rule is usually to back the max charge off by 5% and work your way up from there however I have always found Woodleighs data to be quite conservative so if you started out with a 106-107 grain powder charge with the FMJ I am sure you will be fine.
 
I haven't tried H1000 in mine but get great results with 7228SSC with 400gr aframes and ceb solids. Haven't loaded woodleighs so It doesn't help with your load info. If you can't get H1000 to reglate the 410's you might try 7228.
 
Caveman, I have the same gun and had the same w questions you have. I got the email from Geoff. I am traveling and will be home Thursday. I will try and find it and forward it to you. For my gun, the solids needed 1.8 grains less than the softs for the same point of impact.
 
I believe that the manual states that the same powder can be used for softas and solids, but you need to back off and 're-develop' your solid load.
 
Caveman, I have the same gun and had the same w questions you have. I got the email from Geoff. I am traveling and will be home Thursday. I will try and find it and forward it to you. For my gun, the solids needed 1.8 grains less than the softs for the same point of impact.
There ya go @Caveman my estimate was on the money (y)
 
Caveman, I have the same gun and had the same w questions you have. I got the email from Geoff. I am traveling and will be home Thursday. I will try and find it and forward it to you. For my gun, the solids needed 1.8 grains less than the softs for the same point of impact.
I have the printed copy of the email from Geoff McDonald dated April 2019.

500/416 400 gr Hydro's he suggested:

H4831SC 97gr. 2275 fps.
Vihtavouri N160 89.5 gr 2245 fps.

Magnum primer and he stated this matched the Kreighoff regulation.

A couple of years ago I sent my Krieghoff back to them with Ammo from Hendershot using swift A-frames. They regulated the gun to that ammo. (They will NOT regulate using handloaded ammo of customer, Hendershot was ok) It is very cheap, under $300 but you purchase the ammo.

Then I worked up a load to same velocity as Hendershot and got the following:

H4831SC 97gr. 400gr Swift AFrame 2240FPS
H4831SC 95gr 400gr Hornady DGS 2150 FPS but more importantly same point of impact as aframes.

Hope this helps.
 
I have the printed copy of the email from Geoff McDonald dated April 2019.

500/416 400 gr Hydro's he suggested:

H4831SC 97gr. 2275 fps.
Vihtavouri N160 89.5 gr 2245 fps.

Magnum primer and he stated this matched the Kreighoff regulation.

A couple of years ago I sent my Krieghoff back to them with Ammo from Hendershot using swift A-frames. They regulated the gun to that ammo. (They will NOT regulate using handloaded ammo of customer, Hendershot was ok) It is very cheap, under $300 but you purchase the ammo.

Then I worked up a load to same velocity as Hendershot and got the following:

H4831SC 97gr. 400gr Swift AFrame 2240FPS
H4831SC 95gr 400gr Hornady DGS 2150 FPS but more importantly same point of impact as aframes.

Hope this helps.
Thanks! Back story is, I am doing exactly what you are suggesting. Rifle was regulated by Krieghoff to Hornady 400 gn DGX and I have their target as well as data. I was working to match that performance. With the Weldcore's, I am getting consistent point of aim/point of impact as well as good groups with the H1000 powder, although have not chrono'd yet. I'm now starting to work with the FMJ's to see if I can get the same.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,306
Messages
1,572,324
Members
169,524
Latest member
hunverealo1973
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top