AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
National Hunting & Shooting Association
Hunted
South Africa
Hear me out.

With the benefits of grassfed beef liver being all the rage now, I’ve been contemplating keeping the livers from my plains game hunt coming up next month.

I can’t stomach cooked liver. I don’t know what it is, but be that as it may I’m considering dehydrating the livers from my PG and making liver capsules myself for personal consumption. This brings me to my question; surely this is not unheard of?

Of course the health benefits may not be the same and the livers will have different mineral make-ups to that of beef, but unless someone knowledgeable in the subject can say otherwise I’m sure they’ll be just fine to consume in moderation.

The dehydrator and capsules supply is no problem.

Thoughts? Criticisms? Be nice

I don't do organs ......... Particularly organs that act as filters ....... and taste absolutely vile ........ and have strange disgusting texture ........ and when cooking smell like a gut wagon.

Don't think I'll be signing up for any dehydrated guts in a capsule either. But good luck.

:sick::sick:

I’ve eaten deer liver, fried with onions and peppers and Mongolian sauce. It has to be fresh and thinly sliced. Delicious! :ROFLMAO:

I don't do organs ......... Particularly organs that act as filters ....... and taste absolutely vile ........ and have strange disgusting texture ........ and when cooking smell like a gut wagon.

Don't think I'll be signing up for any dehydrated guts in a capsule either. But good luck.

:sick::sick:
Aw c'mon, tell us what you REALLY think!

Left out the fact my mom always included onions with the pan fried calf liver.
Is there any other way?

My mother loved calf liver. At our house it was eat what is on the table or go hungry. Always went to bed without supper every time we had liver. In my opinion liver is a waste of good onions and is only good for catfish bait. Shot a moose years ago and was told moose liver was nothing like any other liver and I should try it as I wouldn’t be disappointed—Wrong! Always give the liver away when we butcher beef in the fall. Now elk heart and onions cooked over wood fire in camp is mighty good. Guts should stay in the gut pile, scavengers got to eat too.

When I was a kid, dad liked liver and Mom would fix it for him, maybe twice a year because she hated it. I liked it and order it in restaurants on occasion. I’ve eaten several types game liver and they don’t compare to beef liver.
As far as dehydrated liver pills… I think a plain OTC Iron, vitamin A and vitamin B supplements would be a lot easier for the same results.

Hear me out.

With the benefits of grassfed beef liver being all the rage now, I’ve been contemplating keeping the livers from my plains game hunt coming up next month.

I can’t stomach cooked liver. I don’t know what it is, but be that as it may I’m considering dehydrating the livers from my PG and making liver capsules myself for personal consumption. This brings me to my question; surely this is not unheard of?

Of course the health benefits may not be the same and the livers will have different mineral make-ups to that of beef, but unless someone knowledgeable in the subject can say otherwise I’m sure they’ll be just fine to consume in moderation.

The dehydrator and capsules supply is no problem.

Thoughts? Criticisms? Be nice

And how are you going to do this while on your hunt?.....

Fresh deer liver and onions, nothing better.

Liver? No.
Paté? Absolutely yes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg