Lightweight medium bore?

I do have several mediums to choose from and after tossing the choices around a bit, I think I'd go with my 9.3x74R double rifle. Relatively light at a hair over 7 pounds and quite handy with 22" barrels. My loads of choice would be a 250gr Accubond at about 2550 and a 286gr NP at around 2350, at times loaded with both, Accubond 1st.

Second choice would be my CZ550 Carbine with loads of a 250gr TTSX and 286gr NP. The others that were high on my list were my SS M77 in .35 Whelen 22" (225gr TBBC or TTSX) and my .338RCM 20" (225gr Interbond).

It’s a really beautiful rifle. Only drawback it’s Bavarian style buttstock curve that was made for purpose using irons sights. It wil make harder to use scope with it.
As an FS owner and user I can tell you the hogsback stock in no way hampers scope use. I have a 2x7 scope on it but also have a NECG peep sight that mounts on the rear scope base that I use when I choose to use iron sights.For stand hunting I prefer a scope but for still hunting I enjoy using iron sights. The 550 FS gives me the best of both worlds. Truth be told the Mannlicher Schoenauer 1905 9x56ms is a much better still hunting rifle but is not made for easy scope usage. When I bought my 550 FS I paid $856 for it. Since they were discontinued the prices have risen considerably. You make your choices and pay your money. The best part though is you can change your mind and direction sell what you don't like and buy something else. Good luck in your quest.

I do have several mediums to choose from and after tossing the choices around a bit, I think I'd go with my 9.3x74R double rifle. Relatively light at a hair over 7 pounds and quite handy with 22" barrels. My loads of choice would be a 250gr Accubond at about 2550 and a 286gr NP at around 2350, at times loaded with both, Accubond 1st.

Second choice would be my CZ550 Carbine with loads of a 250gr TTSX and 286gr NP. The others that were high on my list were my SS M77 in .35 Whelen 22" (225gr TBBC or TTSX) and my .338RCM 20" (225gr Interbond).
How do you get the double to regulate 2 different loads 200fps apart and two weights for projectiles?

Not sure if you're ok with a push feed rifle, but our Rem XCR II originally in 375 H&H (now a 375 Weatherby) is a stainless / synthetic rifle TriNyte coated (very corrosion resistant) that comes in at just under 7 lbs (without scope) with a 24" barrel. Ours weighs 7 1/2 lbs with Talley steel QR rings and a Leupold 2-7x scope. Accurate as are most Rem 700s. May be a bit hard to find but they're out there. If you shoot open sights, I'd replace them with NECGs. We did.

usomoEO.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Makes no sense that if recoil was the only determining factor why people have such issues regulating doubles let alone with two seperate bullet weights and speeds......

That's some pretty firewood on that cz what comes in the package?
Are you talking about my CZ?

Any feedback on Steyr CL II?
I have one in .30-06. I like it, I think I weighed it at about 7.5# without the scope. I use Dentler mounts and change the scope depending on what I'm doing. Push feed. Hog's Back stock that does not seem to get in the way... actually find of helps with the scope. Mine has the 24 inch barrel. I was looking for the Mannlicher stock when I bought it, but it's a long, convoluted story and I went with the 24". The stutzen may be a bit lighter, not sure. Out of the box it was a less than MOA rifle, in general I'm happy with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryellenD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you