Lightweight leather glove help

I always have at least 3 pairs of gloves on all of my hunts. 1 Pair is always good quality, black all-weather golf gloves. They are not too expensive, easily replaceable, and very effective.

If you are willing to go the “tactical” route, both of these are strong performers. I use them in hot weather often. They 5.11 are the best I’ve used for dexterity. They are sheepskin but are a little bit sticky/grippy feeling. The magpul is also very good for dexterity, and do even better in the heat. They are softer and not as tacky in the palm. I’m confident both will accomplish your goals. I’ve also used these when wingshooting with an old Spanish double.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 7.24.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 7.24.00 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 7.24.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 7.24.01 AM.png
    485.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 7.24.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 7.24.30 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 37
  • Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 7.24.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 7.24.34 AM.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 35
If you are willing to go the “tactical” route, both of these are strong performers. I use them in hot weather often. They 5.11 are the best I’ve used for dexterity. They are sheepskin but are a little bit sticky/grippy feeling. The magpul is also very good for dexterity, and do even better in the heat. They are softer and not as tacky in the palm. I’m confident both will accomplish your goals. I’ve also used these when wingshooting with an old Spanish double.

Thanks very much. These are looking like they will do the job perfectly.

I've been using Gier deer skin gloves for that very reason for years and they work great. By far better than any other gloves I've tried.

If you want a an excellent pair of Leather gloves which will last look at Tom Benke Collections

May I suggest to simply refresh often the
gun oil patina on your double?
Just before to start the hunt at morning, or at the lunch break - simply and fast with the Ballistol "savett fresh"
10-SALVIETTE-DI-OLIO-BALLISTOL-PER-PULIZIA-PER-ARMI-FUCILE-PISTOLA-BERETTA.jpg

They are easy to carry in a pocket, I've found them perfect to travel with.

If you get some of those light, soft leather gloves with that great leather smell and feel, do yourself a favor and give your significant other a back, shoulder and neck rub before you get gun oil all over them. You can thank me later.

;)

Get a pair of thin deerskin and get them smaller than you should. Stretch them out and they form tightly to your hands. I get mine at a Army Surplus store in Denver for less than $15

The Orvis Upland shooting gloves are about the finest I've used, though I always carry a pair of the Mechanic Fast Fit gloves for rough work.

I’ve owned A LOT of orvis upland shooting gloves over the years. They are made in China and fall apart at the stitching. I like that. I’ve never truly owned a pair, just leased them until they are forced to give me another pair. (Trying to teach them that having an unconditional warranty doesn’t mix well with low quality Chinese manufacturing…rather have no warranty and have first world quality)

Anyway, they work until they fail and then you get a new pair for free.

If you want a an excellent pair of Leather gloves which will last look at Tom Benke Collections
I think you mean Tom Beckbe. These are good quality, made in the USA, and not cheap. I have a pair.

I do a lot of bird hunting (using some expensive doubles) and usually wear regular Browning shooting gloves and cut the trigger finger bit off so I have direct contact with the trigger. They provide a bit of thorn protection for my hands and help preserve the finish on my guns.

Pilots nomex gloves are pretty handy. Leather palm and fingers. Cheap as chips also so when you loose one you don’t cry a river.

I’ve owned A LOT of orvis upland shooting gloves over the years. They are made in China and fall apart at the stitching. I like that. I’ve never truly owned a pair, just leased them until they are forced to give me another pair. (Trying to teach them that having an unconditional warranty doesn’t mix well with low quality Chinese manufacturing…rather have no warranty and have first world quality)

Anyway, they work until they fail and then you get a new pair for free.
I guess things have changed. Mine are about 15 years old and I specifically bought them because they were made in the USA at the time.
IMG_3275.jpg

Agreed! Sad deal.....all my favorite brands are moving offshore. Filson, Orvis, Boyt. Some of my Boyt Hawkeye cases from the early 80's are still going strong.

I use leather driving gloves from Harrods, they are super soft and not at all cumbersome, they fasten across the base of the wrist. The ones with the breathing holes above each knuckle.

Agreed! Sad deal.....all my favorite brands are moving offshore. Filson, Orvis, Boyt. Some of my Boyt Hawkeye cases from the early 80's are still going strong.
Yep, it’s just not the same quality, whatever people say

I guess things have changed. Mine are about 15 years old and I specifically bought them because they were made in the USA at the time.
View attachment 538302

Indeed, about 15 years ago they discontinued the made in USA stuff to my understanding. In addition to yours they called the uplander glove, they also had a chocolate colored one in Kangaroo leather. Those were the ultimate, I have a pair of those new and unworn...sorta too nice for me to use.

From Orvis' website of today:

"Unlined. Imported."

Of course when their stuff is made in a desirable country, they tell you the country, but when it isn't "England, Scotland, Australia, New Zealand" they simply say imported. (translation: China, India, Bangladesh, Phillipines)

I don't hate foreign trade, but I hate BS low quality products being advertised in an upscale manner. Just charge more and make fine products where they are supposed to be made!

Other companies doing the same nonsense: Filson, Hardy, Barbour, LL Bean, Cabelas, Woolrich, Le Chameau, Aigle, ....all on my sh&tlist.

Indeed, about 15 years ago they discontinued the made in USA stuff to my understanding. In addition to yours they called the uplander glove, they also had a chocolate colored one in Kangaroo leather. Those were the ultimate, I have a pair of those new and unworn...sorta too nice for me to use.

From Orvis' website of today:

"Unlined. Imported."

Of course when their stuff is made in a desirable country, they tell you the country, but when it isn't "England, Scotland, Australia, New Zealand" they simply say imported. (translation: China, India, Bangladesh, Phillipines)

I don't hate foreign trade, but I hate BS low quality products being advertised in an upscale manner. Just charge more and make fine products where they are supposed to be made!

Other companies doing the same nonsense: Filson, Hardy, Barbour, LL Bean, Cabelas, Woolrich, Le Chameau, Aigle, ....all on my sh&tlist.
Unfortunately, most ‘people’ who buy this stuff now have little, to no, understanding of a quality item.

Unfortunately, most ‘people’ who buy this stuff now have little, to no, understanding of a quality item.

I don't mean to make this a "slide thread" by going way off topic, but you're absolutely correct. I spend countless hours trying to find vintage items, used, because the new and improved version sucks and is made in third world conditions.

Some examples: The old Stanley thermos? The originals are amazing and really keep things insulated. The new ones are junk, don't hold their temperature, etc. Buy a 40 year old one new old stock on eBay. Surefire flashlights: the originals like the A2 aviator were amazing and used both LED and incandescent bulbs. Ski / winter clothes: buy vintage Wilderness Experience stuff from the 80s since its all back in fashion. Luggage, buy vintage Gokey or Orvis when they were made in Minnesota. Fishing reels: buy 40 year old Orvis CFOs made in Alnwick, England. Gun cases: by vintage English ones made by Brady. Fly boxes, get old Wheatleys made in England. Flys, buy from a local disabled guy tying them in his house rather than from Kenya like all the online deals offer. Rods, old tonkin cane Orvis rods made in Manchester VT fish better and cost HALF what a new graphite rod made of foreign blanks do.

My rant list goes on and on. Very little do I buy new because new and quality generally don't go together.

Nomex flight gloves. They are very popular and available everywhere (for a reason!):) - from military surplus sources like DRMO sales to various retail outlets. Light weight, high quality fine leather/nomex. Can't beat the price- from $10 surplus to about $28 retail. For that price buy two or three pair. I've used them everywhere for hunting.

nfg2-3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeCast

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg