Lever Action Rifles In Africa?

I don't have any experience killing anything with my guide gun in 45/70 but I have a lot of friends who swear by it for brush hunting (I usually carried a model 7 cdl in a 350 rem with a 1-4 leupold). I own a stainless guide gun and it runs great. I need a bigger lever to fit my big hands and a good set of peep or ghost rings. It's good for anything in the states. I second the notion of of you have the money have it re chambered to 50 Alaskan.

Last edited:
I think it would be adequate, if not ideal. Go with the PH recommendation if he has one.

Have any of you handled or shot the Big Horn Armory 500 S & W lever action? I have only seen it in pictures and on their website. Nice looking piece and I'm sure it would be a hoot to shoot. I know it will pack a serious punch.

Have any of you handled or shot the Big Horn Armory 500 S & W lever action? I have only seen it in pictures and on their website. Nice looking piece and I'm sure it would be a hoot to shoot. I know it will pack a serious punch.

They look awesome. I'd like to have a nice lever to match my freedom arms 454. 460 would be another good caliber as well.

Its still a good rifle and perfect for deer or even elk size game if you hunt much, but its not much on power.

Weeeeeellllllllllll........I happened into the local big box store yesterday. Looking for something to fill the itch for a large bore rifle to get myself prepared for the hippo dream. I found a Savage 116 Alaskan Brush Hunter in 375 Ruger. I feel like I got a pretty good price on it. Of course they had no ammo in stock, but I'll be checking one other store this weekend before buying online. I'll get some picture of it put up on the .375 & up club forum this weekend.

Excellent find and a good African caliber to boot! Now your set for anything anywhere!

I asked if they could flex on the price of a used gun, and was told NO. Then he took a look to see how long it was at the store...about a year, so he took another $50 off. I paid less for it than I did my Howa 1500 30-06!

I intend to erturn to Africa one day, and go after either a lioness (if the fates should allow), or a hippo. I understand that 375 in the minimum caliber for these critters. I've been looking around to find a rifle in that range so I can at least begin to build my confidence with it. I found a good price on a 1980's Marlin lever gun in 375 WIN. Would this be sufficient for taking one of those animals, or should I continue the search for a 375 H&H or bigger? I have never fired a lever gun, but have always wanted one. Perhaps a 30-30 just because, but I intend to get the next rifle to fill the returning dream trip.

I'm also expecting to get a red stag in NZ one day...
I would go for the 45-70, or 450 Marlin. The 375 Win just hasn't got the punch.

View attachment 47244
My PH, off to my right, had just come around the corner to say let's go hunting! My wife snapped the photo with he holding my Marlin 1895 stainless 45-70 government lever action. It pushes a 325 grain bullet at 1800 feet per second. Great brush gun for most critters. (MOST)
Now before anyone Chimes in about why anyone would want to take such a pitiful useless gun to Africa.......I did and it did fine! No I will not try to shoot an elephant with it but I'm confident with it on most other critters!
Note my son is holding a Ruger Model #1 in 300 win mag. It is a falling block single shot rifle that has a lever to open the chamber.
I LOVE the Ruger #1's.........that is the only rifle that I use for Big Game. I own 8 #1s' in obviously different calibers. From 223 all the way up to a 375H&H , which by the way is the caliber and rifle I will take with me when I go to Africa for plains game. I did own a 458Win mag behemoth ......but after researching how much it costs to hunt Elephants....I sold it. Now I am going to search for a 470 nitro express or buy an older 458 and have it re-barreled in 470....and of course have a muzzle brake installed as well. I went to British Columbia back in 2012 with a Ruger #1 in 338 Win Mag. I was there hunting Moose and Mountain Caribou. I had a KDF muzzle brake installed and could not believe the difference that it made when reducing felt recoil. I also had it re-blued with a matte finish as well and a Kipplinger set trigger installed. The trigger was pricey but well worth the price. I have "never " felt like I was handicapped when hunting with my #1's..........NEVER !!! Lets face it........the first shot is the most important, but yes.........we practice for follow-up shots if needed. I can reload quite rapidly and can give a bolt rifle user a run for his money. So.....all you Ruger #1 lovers.........you are NOT alone !!! I truly believe that the Ruger # 1 is one of the most beautiful and well made rifles out there. It has that classic look of the older single shot rifles but obviously alot upgrade changes to it. Classy Rifle indeed !!!!!

Took a Gemsbok, Zebra, and Blue Wildebeest in SA in 2008 with my Marlin 1895 using Garrett 420 gr. Hammerheads. Worked really well.

Blue Wildebeest 01a.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Took a Gemsbok, Zebra, and Blue Wildebeest in SA in 2008 with my Marlin 1895 using Garrett 420 gr. Hammerheads. Worked really well.

View attachment 57050

Nice WB!
How was the performance of the 420 Hammer heads? I used the Hornady 350gr Flat points last year for my PG safari.
This year I am thinking about taking a giraffe and hesitating between the 350gr Swift A-frames and the 420gr Hammerheads.

That sir is a beautiful animal and a fantastic picture. I've been seriously considering another Marlin 1895 in the long octagon barrel but as far as I can determine none were made with the JM stamp and apparently there's been quite a few quality problems with the post JM models.

I'm very encouraged to see that many of you have had no problem taking Lever Actions to the RSA and will almost certainly be taking one of mine on the next trip.

I LOVE the Ruger #1's.........that is the only rifle that I use for Big Game. I own 8 #1s' in obviously different calibers. From 223 all the way up to a 375H&H , which by the way is the caliber and rifle I will take with me when I go to Africa for plains game. I did own a 458Win mag behemoth ......but after researching how much it costs to hunt Elephants....I sold it. Now I am going to search for a 470 nitro express or buy an older 458 and have it re-barreled in 470....and of course have a muzzle brake installed as well. I went to British Columbia back in 2012 with a Ruger #1 in 338 Win Mag. I was there hunting Moose and Mountain Caribou. I had a KDF muzzle brake installed and could not believe the difference that it made when reducing felt recoil. I also had it re-blued with a matte finish as well and a Kipplinger set trigger installed. The trigger was pricey but well worth the price. I have "never " felt like I was handicapped when hunting with my #1's..........NEVER !!! Lets face it........the first shot is the most important, but yes.........we practice for follow-up shots if needed. I can reload quite rapidly and can give a bolt rifle user a run for his money. So.....all you Ruger #1 lovers.........you are NOT alone !!! I truly believe that the Ruger # 1 is one of the most beautiful and well made rifles out there. It has that classic look of the older single shot rifles but obviously alot upgrade changes to it. Classy Rifle indeed !!!!!
I found that when I shot the Ruger #1 regularly it took very little practice to get to where you can get that follow up loaded quickly. I could shoot two shots as fast as my dad could shoot three from his 700 Rem and get off three accurate shots in the same time it took him to fling 5.

Unless something is charging you the extra half second isn't a big deal at least as far as I'm concerned.

That's funny... Despite what I thought were diligent searches for information before going to Africa, about lever guns and Africa, I just found this thread today. I guess I must suck at searches. :A Whistle:

@ActionBob ... Did you ever take your .338 Marlin? My own impressions, having taken it now, is that it's peachy for anything short of DG. And a .45-70 is just fine for buff, with the right bullet and at reasonable distances.

460 S&W likely even moreso (higher V, higher SD bullets.)

That's funny... Despite what I thought were diligent searches for information before going to Africa, about lever guns and Africa, I just found this thread today. I guess I must suck at searches. :A Whistle:

@ActionBob ... Did you ever take your .338 Marlin? My own impressions, having taken it now, is that it's peachy for anything short of DG. And a .45-70 is just fine for buff, with the right bullet and at reasonable distances.
No I haven't. Wasn't happy with the way that Hornady FTX bullet exploded on the shoulder of a deer ar close range. Should be ok at distance but you never know in Africa.

What ammo or loads did you use?

@ActionBob ... I use the factory ammo. I had concerns about the FTX bullets but not anymore. 7 bull moose, 8 caribou, 2 kudu, 2 impala, a wildebeest, warthog, blesbok, and a springbok... and zero issues at all with any of them. Not a huge sample group perhaps but enough that I quit worrying. Thanks for responding sir.

I met a guy at lgs awhile back & we were discussing a PH that we both had hunted with in Zim. H e showed me some pics of his BLR take down in 400 Whelen that began as a 3006 & was rebored & chambered. He also had pics of plains game & buff that he had taken with the rifle. That sounds like a very good combination for Africa.

375Sunrise,
Your friends 400 Whelen TD sounds a lot like my Winchester 1895 TD .405 -- with the exception that my .405 shoots .411 bullets of 210, 300, and 400 grains very well.
I use mostly 300 grain bullets except for the 400 grain Woodies that I used on the Cape Buff.
I believe that a 300 grain NF CPS would have done the job (like it did on a water buff) but just wanted to try the 400 grain Woodie on the buff. Even with that bullet through the heart, the darn buff tried to walk into the brush, so a Woodie solid through the pelvis dropped it to the ground.

The moral of the story - use a Winchester model 1895 .405 & just go hunting without tinkering with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg