Lever Action Rifles In Africa?

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by Zack Young, Aug 24, 2015.

1. ArmyGrunt

ArmyGrunt AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Hungary
    Who would have thought....bears and gymnastics! :E Rofl:

Ragman likes this.

2. CodyBoots

CodyBoots AH Member

Member of:
    NRA
    I don't have any experience killing anything with my guide gun in 45/70 but I have a lot of friends who swear by it for brush hunting (I usually carried a model 7 cdl in a 350 rem with a 1-4 leupold). I own a stainless guide gun and it runs great. I need a bigger lever to fit my big hands and a good set of peep or ghost rings. It's good for anything in the states. I second the notion of of you have the money have it re chambered to 50 Alaskan.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016

3. sestoppelman

sestoppelman AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
    I think it would be adequate, if not ideal. Go with the PH recommendation if he has one.

4. PLM

PLM AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, TSRA
    Have any of you handled or shot the Big Horn Armory 500 S & W lever action? I have only seen it in pictures and on their website. Nice looking piece and I'm sure it would be a hoot to shoot. I know it will pack a serious punch.

5. CodyBoots

CodyBoots AH Member

Member of:
    NRA
    They look awesome. I'd like to have a nice lever to match my freedom arms 454. 460 would be another good caliber as well.

6. ArmyGrunt

ArmyGrunt AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Weeeeeellllllllllll........I happened into the local big box store yesterday. Looking for something to fill the itch for a large bore rifle to get myself prepared for the hippo dream. I found a Savage 116 Alaskan Brush Hunter in 375 Ruger. I feel like I got a pretty good price on it. Of course they had no ammo in stock, but I'll be checking one other store this weekend before buying online. I'll get some picture of it put up on the .375 & up club forum this weekend.

7. fsrmg1

fsrmg1 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA, NRA, BGRC, MMA
    Hunted:
    AK, US, AU, DE, CZ
    Excellent find and a good African caliber to boot! Now your set for anything anywhere!

8. ArmyGrunt

ArmyGrunt AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    I asked if they could flex on the price of a used gun, and was told NO. Then he took a look to see how long it was at the store...about a year, so he took another $50 off. I paid less for it than I did my Howa 1500 30-06!

9. WildRose

WildRose AH Enthusiast

Member of:
    AKC, GSPCA, SCI, NRA
    Hunted:
    Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Oklahoma, Kansas, N/S Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Africa
    I would go for the 45-70, or 450 Marlin. The 375 Win just hasn't got the punch.

10. James N Melcher

James N Melcher New Member

Member of:
    Dallas Safari Club/ North American Hunting Club/ NRA Life member
    I LOVE the Ruger #1's.........that is the only rifle that I use for Big Game. I own 8 #1s' in obviously different calibers. From 223 all the way up to a 375H&H , which by the way is the caliber and rifle I will take with me when I go to Africa for plains game. I did own a 458Win mag behemoth ......but after researching how much it costs to hunt Elephants....I sold it. Now I am going to search for a 470 nitro express or buy an older 458 and have it re-barreled in 470....and of course have a muzzle brake installed as well. I went to British Columbia back in 2012 with a Ruger #1 in 338 Win Mag. I was there hunting Moose and Mountain Caribou. I had a KDF muzzle brake installed and could not believe the difference that it made when reducing felt recoil. I also had it re-blued with a matte finish as well and a Kipplinger set trigger installed. The trigger was pricey but well worth the price. I have "never " felt like I was handicapped when hunting with my #1's..........NEVER !!! Lets face it........the first shot is the most important, but yes.........we practice for follow-up shots if needed. I can reload quite rapidly and can give a bolt rifle user a run for his money. So.....all you Ruger #1 lovers.........you are NOT alone !!! I truly believe that the Ruger # 1 is one of the most beautiful and well made rifles out there. It has that classic look of the older single shot rifles but obviously alot upgrade changes to it. Classy Rifle indeed !!!!!

CAustin likes this.

11. Larry Mikelsen

Larry Mikelsen AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA (Benefactor), SCI, Poulsbo Sportsman's Club
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa
    Took a Gemsbok, Zebra, and Blue Wildebeest in SA in 2008 with my Marlin 1895 using Garrett 420 gr. Hammerheads. Worked really well.

Blue Wildebeest 01a.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2016
    Ragman likes this.

12. Reaper

Reaper AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Nice WB!
    How was the performance of the 420 Hammer heads? I used the Hornady 350gr Flat points last year for my PG safari.
    This year I am thinking about taking a giraffe and hesitating between the 350gr Swift A-frames and the 420gr Hammerheads.

13. WildRose

WildRose AH Enthusiast

Member of:
    AKC, GSPCA, SCI, NRA
    Hunted:
    Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Oklahoma, Kansas, N/S Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Africa
    That sir is a beautiful animal and a fantastic picture. I've been seriously considering another Marlin 1895 in the long octagon barrel but as far as I can determine none were made with the JM stamp and apparently there's been quite a few quality problems with the post JM models.

I'm very encouraged to see that many of you have had no problem taking Lever Actions to the RSA and will almost certainly be taking one of mine on the next trip.

14. WildRose

WildRose AH Enthusiast

Member of:
    AKC, GSPCA, SCI, NRA
    Hunted:
    I found that when I shot the Ruger #1 regularly it took very little practice to get to where you can get that follow up loaded quickly. I could shoot two shots as fast as my dad could shoot three from his 700 Rem and get off three accurate shots in the same time it took him to fling 5.

Unless something is charging you the extra half second isn't a big deal at least as far as I'm concerned.

ve7poi likes this.